Art Institute of Los Angeles....??

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Brent_H, Nov 12, 2004.

1. Brent_H

Brent_H Second Unit

I'm hoping someone can help me out here...

I am interested in a career in video production and just was accepted into the Television Production major at my local four year university. They only offer 5 courses for the major...this seemed a little odd to me. How can I learn all I need and have the tools to make it with only 5 courses? I did some looking into it. I decided that going to a specialty school seems like the best thing to do. Except for the price, of course.

Full Sail in Orlando seems like it would be the best...totally focused on your field and out in a year. I don't want to be in Orlando though. I want to be in Los Angeles. So I found the Art Institute in Santa Monica which offers a AS in Video Production. It looks to be what I want, but I have never heard of the place. I was wondering if anyone knew about it and if its any good...if the industry likes to hire people coming out of there, etc.

I really don't know what to do. I'm 22 and have about 1.5 years left to get my undergrad if I stay at my local university, and I just want to get donnnnnne. I just don't feel like the education I would get here even compares to that of the specialty schools..

please help me!

Brent.

2. Seth--L

Seth--L Screenwriter

The production end of video production (using the equipment) isn't exactly rocket science. Everything you need to know you could probably learn in a summer internship at a reasonably sized TV station.

Instead of switching schools, how about first doing an internship or maybe a summer video production program -- see if you like it before making a major change.

3. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

They all suck- get up off your ass, buy some books and START DOING. Do not wait to take a class- beg or steal some equipment- borrow anything you can get your hands on, try "borrowed" software, read borrowed books-- keep in mind your school cares more about your tuition than your future-- you have to take it upon youself. Find out if there are any local TV or production studios within driving distance- pester them, and offer to carry heavy things for free. Go every weekend. Devour industry mags and online discussions...

If you're even marginally self-motivated, you have zero need for the specialty schools- get a 4 year degree from a university to show prospective employers that you can stick it out and can be taught, and get the REAL knowledge on your own.

Most prospective employers are IMPRESSED by people who work on their own to attain knowledge and as long as you can talk the talk when you walk in the door, the will never care where your degree came from.

blah, blah, blah.

I came to LA with a 4 year education from a state university with, essentially, no real audio or video production classes (my first audio lab involved cueing up records on a turntable- this was in 2002)--- but I had spent 10 years going out, working where I could, reading, borrowing equipment, working on friends projects, etc.

I came out from Nowherefuck, Ohio and got hired on my first interview and work as an audio editor on several major network TV shows at this point... there are kids where I work who have full formal recording school education and the giant debt to prove it (Full Sail, LA recording Workshop, Phoenix, etc)-- they work in an entry-level position in the machine room for damn near minimum wage...

Because they only bothered to learn what was required in the classroom...

-V

4. Brent_H

Brent_H Second Unit

Vince..

That was exactly what I needed to hear. Thank you so much. [​IMG]

My problem is that I don't know specifically what I want to do. I'm not the creative type, so that's pretty much out. Ideally, I would love to be like a PA or something, working with the cast and crew during the filming process. I could also maybe see myself doing some editing or something along those lines. I have never worked with video before but being that I am so into tv and film I think thats the direction I should be headed. After I get into my major next semester I'm sure I'll have a better idea of what path to take.

If theres any books you could recommend on anything, I will read them. Otherwise, your advice on anything would be much appreciated.

Thanks again..

~Brent

5. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Well, I'm personally skewed toward sound- so most of my fave books are sound centric. I usually recommend David Yewdall's "practical Art of Motion Picture SOund" to anyone who will listen-- while it is a sound specific book, it talks a LOT about the physical realities of how "MAKING A FILM" really works- from a very practical point of view. It talks a lot about editing and the physical realities of film-- also talks a lot about PRODUCTION- and the army of people and coordination it takes to make a big budget project.

This book is, like I said, a sound book by name-- but it's a decent read for a practical guide to production on a film.

But- i think your very first step is a bit of self reflection- figure out why you want to work in this industry- what your personal talents and tastes are...

-V

6. suzanemiller

suzanemiller Auditioning

You can look for degree from Champlain College . it would be pretty helpful.

7. BrianB

BrianB Producer

A five year bump for this?