What's new

Art 351 or BFD? (1 Viewer)

MikeHalder

Stunt Coordinator
I am going to purchase an EQ for my subs and was looking at the ART 351 or the Behringer DSP1124P Feedback Destroyer. Any comments or recommendations on either of these units.

Thanks,

Mike

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
I don't have any experience with the ART 351 but I do own the BFD and love it! With Sonnie Parker's BFD set-up tutorial, it was super easy to figure out and set up. Here's a link to my post that shows just what it did for my DIY sub:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=45436
Unfortunately, I have met my quota, and the picture will not work for another 2 hours and 31 minutes! :)
BTW, you can get the BFD from www.lentines.com for a total of ~$135.00.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Mike, Thomas,

The ART 351 is a 1/3-octave equalizer and as such only has controls (sliders) at fixed frequencies. The bandwidth effected by the sliders is fixed, too, at 1/3-octave.

The problem is that most of the time the response problems in a room do not fall into the scope of what a 1/3-octave EQ can address. For instance, if you have a problem narrower than 1/3-octave, or of the problem frequency is between the sliders.

Also, a problem that happens to be wide (like 1-octave, or 1½-octaves) is also difficult to address with a 1/3-octave equalizer.

By comparison, a parametric EQ can handle virtually any response problem, from wide to narrow and at any frequency

Bottom line, if you can deal with the BFD’s learning curve, it is much more flexible than the ART. And the good news is, there is lots of help available for the BFD.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
I agree that a parametric eq will let you focus on specific frequencies and should give you much better control over those frequencies which need to be altered.

KevinHunt

Stunt Coordinator
So the Rain that SVS offers would be a step up from the Art and provide equalization capabilities equal to the BFD? I know the BFD can be had for around the same price or cheaper than the Art. Are there any more advantages to the Rain over the BFD? It is a little more pricey.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Pros and cons for both. The Rane is sonically superior to the BFD, but with subs that isn’t an issue.

The Rane is easier to operate, but the BFD is more flexible in that is has more filters and the ability to do two subs (if need be).

The BFD has a steeper learning curve than the Rane, but there is plenty of help available here and elsewhere.

Bottom line, for the price the BFD is tough to beat and will do wonders for your sub.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

MikeHalder

Stunt Coordinator
I have just ordered a BFD and look forward to the tweaking. Thanks for your input guys. I live in New Bern,NC... the 'black hole' of technology. Auditioning and acyually finding any real electronics is impossible, making forums a must for finding information on products and online shopping a must for buying.

Thanks,

Mike

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
I believe, Colin, that that unit's center frequencies are fixed, and that only 1 or 2 of the 5 would be useful for subwoofer eq.
Edit: If you look at this close-up, you can make out where the bands are located. There's one that starts at 20Hz, and one at 60Hz, the rest are above 150Hz.

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
Gotcha.

I read "overlap" in the product description and thought it was 100% overlap.

Thank you very much for that info, I almost bid on one on Ebay...

- CM

gomez_a

Stunt Coordinator
Hello Walter, all,

I was seriously considering getting the 351, but after reading about parametric EQ's and how they work, it seems like the BFD is the way to go on this, but I have some questions:

1. Does this EQ cut off sub 20Hz material? I have an SVS 16-46PC and I want it to contunue to recieve sub20Hz mat'l

2. does this EQ impair/degrade the sound quality off SACD or DVD-Audio formats - although I don't have a player for these 2 formats, I will get one in the future

3. Can it handle 2 subs (I have the 16-46PC & a Polk 650 sub) coming out my Onkyo 898 LFE output jacks?

4. I don't have a PC at home, but have a laptop at work, do I need a PC to set this unit up?

The price seems awfully low for the good reviews it's getting

Thanks!

Brandon B

Second Unit
1.It does not cut off material below 20Hz, it just does not operate to mnodify this range. (unless this has changed from the 100 to the 1124, I don't know)

2. It is not an extremely clean unit, however, at sub-200Hz frequencies, you are rather unlikely to notice its effects even on high end equipment. If you are VERY picky and listen to very clean acoustic bass material it would be worth it to go with something nicer.

Brandon B

Second Unit
1.It does not cut off material below 20Hz, it just does not operate to mnodify this range. (unless this has changed from the 100 to the 1124, I don't know)

2. It is not an extremely clean unit, however, at sub-200Hz frequencies, you are rather unlikely to notice its effects even on high end equipment. If you are VERY picky and listen to very clean acoustic bass material it would be worth it to go with something nicer.

3.It can do 2 subs, it cuts down on the number of filters available if they are running different signals. If you are running them off the same signal, you just put the BFD before your Y.

4. Can be cofiguredf without a PC, but it's MUCH easier with one.

BB

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
Are the rack ears removeable? If yes, I wonder how wide it is.

Just curious.

Thanks.

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
Mike-

Have you tried looking for HT shops in Jacksonville? I seem to remember there was at least 1 or 2 hifi shops there, at least a few years ago. I'd gladly trade my location in Atlanta with HT shops all around for living in New Bern though; what a town.

My HT is in a 12x12 room, which caused serious peaking. Luckily, the peaks were pretty sharp and ususally right around the ranges of the ART 351 1/3 octave sliders; that being said, I would easily pick a parametric like the BFD given the choice again.

gomez_a

Stunt Coordinator
Brandon,

Thank yopu for the info . . I take it you own one. Are you happy with it?

Also, you mentioned that below 200Hz, I'm unlikely to hear degradation in the sound even with hight end formats like DVD-A and SACD . . . do you find that most tweaking is done at or below 200Hz? I intend to tweak my two subs by running a linelevel from the rcvr LFE to the EQ, and from the EQ to the two subs

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Gomez_a,

Room mode issues will likely occur well below 80Hz (in the LFE range). Hopefully your not sending 200Hz to your subwoofer!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks