Arrrrrchhh! They are going to do it with Raiders of the Lost Ark too!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sam Davatchi, Feb 21, 2002.

1. Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi Producer

http://www.dreamworksfansite.com/edi...Review_Two.php
    Kennedy and Marshall just mentioned they are considering to ... Raiders of the Lost Ark. I’m sorry my English vocabulary is not great. What appropriate word can we use there! I can only come up with “F..K UP Raiders of the Lost Ark”! [​IMG]

2. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    How about, as the article says, "spiff" up the effects. I think F**k up is a bit harsh.
    I am curious to se how E.T's makeover looks. BTW, that article still lists the incorrect information that the removal of the "terrorist" line is a recent occurrence, when in fact, it was removed
    years ago and hasn't been heard since ET's last theatrical run.

3. Rain

Rain Producer

This is sick. But not surprising coming from Spielberg.

You know, even though they promised the original version of E.T. on DVD, I don't believe it is going to happen. I'm willing to bet the "original" version will still contain censored dialogue.

Sick. Just sick.

4. Tom-G

Tom-G Screenwriter

Tom G
    The special effects don't need fixing, do they? It's fine with me that the FX will be "spiffed up" but since we are going to get the original theatrical version of E.T. on DVD, I'm sure that the Raiders of the Lost Ark DVD will be no different.

5. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

I dont know why this is suprising. They did it to the Star Wars Trilogy and ET(although I hate the movie, I still dont like the idea).Of course they cant to get their paws on Indiana Jones[​IMG] [​IMG] and The Raiders Of The Lost Ark.
    I just hope the rumor we heard about them adding to the FX in Blade Runner NEVER happens. I wont be responsible for my actions.[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Really this is just silly-do the limited special effects used in Raiders REALLY need to be messed with. I can see a touch up here and there(dont like that idea either but...),but not altering or adding,

6. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Producer

Warning: Extreme Sarcasm Ahead
    Yeah, I'm really looking forward to Indy going into bullet time. [​IMG]
    - Walter.

7. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

I'm just waiting for the scene with Indy and the swordsman and Indy pulling out a walky-talky.
    [​IMG]

8. Tom-G

Tom-G Screenwriter

Tom G

9. Rain

Rain Producer

10. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    There are a couple of reviews up on AICN of the premiere of the E.T. special edition in Salt Lake City this week (tied in with the Olympics). Both were very complementary, and said the redone effects were seamless and restrained. As far as "censored" lines, "terrorist" has been changed to "hippie" (as Tino points out this is NOT new), but despite earlier reports "penis breath" remains in the film! [​IMG]
    This is just to point out that these things can be done right. The Raiders thing is in the early stages at this point. Maybe we should wait & see what's really going to happen before going ballistic?

11. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

Man, who cares...I am so pumped to see E.T. for the first time with great sound, widescreen, and the big screen (sorry, couldn't make it to the show in '82, I was still teething). The day I was about to see E.T. for the first time (on video), I was just a little kid who didn't understand why the video stores were selling out in one hour on the day of it's release. Then I saw it, and I cried. From that day foward, E.T. has held a place in my top ten all-time favs list, and I have a feeling that come this March, it's gonna be #1.

12. Tom-G

Tom-G Screenwriter

Tom G
    IMDB has made mention of this as well:

13. Rain

Rain Producer

14. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Here's a question: has anyone ever heard anyone say that they wanted these movies to be "fixed up?" My understanding is that this is being done to make the movies look better- but no one wants them to! Everyone wants to see the movie they know and love. People understand that technology was not as advanced then. They don't care. Sure, we might make fun of it, but it's all in good fun.

It would be like Jimmy Page re-recording a guitar solo to take out the mistakes, and releasing the Special Edition of Led Zeppelin II. We want the mistakes.

15. Dave H

Dave H Producer

I warned people a couple years ago that Raiders was not immune to CGI. All I have to say is that when the DVD is released, the original version better be present!

16. Jonathan Perregaux

Jonathan Perregaux Screenwriter

Jonathan Perregaux
    Now imagine going back and filling in the transparent Macaw eye in Citizen Kane. It was an obvious mistake, one that should have been fixed in 1940 but wasn't... yet to fix that one little shot now would take something away from this unique film. Sure, we could digitally enchance Orson Welles' bald cap so it wouldn't be so apparent and use a CGI model of Xanadu for added realism. But it would be WRONG and would totally violate the spirit of the original creative effort.
    It would be the equivalent of cinematic blasphemy.
    So why isn't a movie like E.T. treated any differently?
    Like the already butchered Star Wars before it, E.T.—The Extra-Terrestrial is a noted presence on the A.F.I.'s list of top 100 American movies of all time. Why is there no appreciable effort being made to prevent classic films like these from being artistically raped by needless, greed-driven, revisionist marketing tactics? And where does it end?
    The addition of Raiders of the Lost Ark (another A.F.I. golden nugget) to this sad list of profaned films only throws another log on the fire. In my opinion, this cinematic tinkering only typifies the modern values of our market-driven, "plastic surgery fixes everything" society. Here's hoping that we grow out of this very disturbing phase.

17. Rain

Rain Producer

Excellent post, Jonathan.

Someone will now undoubtedly present the argument that this is different since Spielberg made the film and therefore has the right to make these changes.

This of course is nonsense.

Spielberg was indeed the original filmaker responsible for E.T., but existentially is NOT the same person (obviously) that he was in 1982. He, like every other human on the planet, has changed and has different sensibilities now.

This would be comparable Chaplin recutting his films in his golden (and possibly somewhat senile) years. As a result, any hopes for a decent presentation of the original The Gold Rush are probably lost forever.

If Spielberg wants to create a "new" E.T. that's fine, though I won't financially support it, so long as they are true to their word of providing us with the true original theatrical version (and that includes ALL original dialogue intact) for posterity.

18. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Just as long as Indy still shoots first.
    [​IMG]
    Ouch! Hey! Stop that! Get off me! [​IMG]

19. Tom Ryan

Tom Ryan Screenwriter

20. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Tom,

Yeah, that's basically my analogy. I know a lot more about music than movies, so it grounds me. Page, like so many other musicians, made lots of mistakes, but it's part of their personalities, the character of the music. Likewise, "cleaning up" movies takes away from their spirit.