Arrrrgh...another HK bites the dust!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by AndrewKC, Jan 21, 2004.

1. AndrewKC

AndrewKC Agent

Okay, so maybe my title is a little exaggerated. I just installed my new back surrounds in my system (AVR-525, NHT 2.9, AC-1, 1.5, SuperZero, Parasound HCA-1500A), and I decided to recalibrate my speakers using the internal test tone. I found that my left surround's level was around +8 relative to my other speakers, and that the white noise was somewhat distorted. I cross my fronts over at 40, center at 80, and surrounds at 100 Hz, letting my sub handle the bass. I have two 80 mm whisper fans blowing air over my receiver, and two more over my amp, ensuring cool operation.

Clearly, something was amiss. I decided to swap my surround speaker connections at the receiver, and the poor output manifested itself in the right speaker (left surround output). So it probably wasn't my speakers or wire. Just to be sure, I swapped with my center, and sure enough, the same crackling noise was present.

Fortunately, I got this receiver new from Onecall, and I wisely purchased an extended warranty. Seeing as this thing is less than 4 months old, this will be covered by the factory warranty. I'm just a little peeved though, that this is my second HK that has had problems (my old AVR-75's left front speaker started popping intermittently, prompting the purchase of the 525). I am a sucker for deals and the cross over flexibility of the HK...but man, this bites the proverbial big one. I listen to my system almost every day, and to be without it while it's in service is a pain in the ass. I'll call HK up tomorrow and see what they can do.

2. Mike_Skeway

Mike_Skeway Second Unit

That does bite, too bad you can't just get a replacement, it sucks being with no music/movies. Hopefully they will take care of you and get it fixed in a timely fashion and minimize down time.

3. John S

John S Producer

H/K's are great when they work, that is for sure...

I do think they seem to have a higher than average failure rate, among the larger manufactures though.