What's new

Arrrhhg...UPS question. (1 Viewer)

Dean L

Stunt Coordinator
I sold a turntable on ebay.
I had it proffesionaly (supposedly!) packed @ a UPS packing store.
The buyer emailed me that he recieved it today.
The packaging store did not, pack the inside well enough, so the platter jumped all over during shipping damaging the motor, + it threw the toneam out of place.
Obviously the buyer wants a refund or discount.
I had the shipment insured.
My question s (since the packing store is closed for the eve):
Is it a pain in the ass dealing w/UPS on a refund for a damaged item + the value of the item?
What are the duties of the shipper and buyer w/a claim.
Anyone who has had a similar experiance please let me know or gve me some advice.
I'm just on the edge about this since I have to wait till tommorow to go to the packaging store!
Thanks.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You paid the packing store to pack it. It is their responsibility. They may in turn get a claim from UPS, but if they don't take responsibility for their work, what are you paying them for?

Greg Risley

Second Unit
Hey Dean.

Don't sweat it just yet. I used to own a Mail Boxes Etc. and if you paid to have it packed, and insured the shipment then you should be covered. Just tell your buyer to keep all the packing supplies incase UPS wants to inspect and possibly return it. When I had my shop the way UPS handled claims was to pay the shipper the claim. So you might just have to give the guy a refund and seek your insurance claim through UPS. Also you should get a full refund for the shipping but not the insurance. Hope this helps. I've been out of the biz for a couple of years but I don't think things have changed.

Greg

Dean L

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for your replies Greg and John.
Looks like I got it straightened out.:emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks