Arrows on Cables ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Craig Beierlein, Nov 20, 2001.

1. Craig Beierlein

Some cables have arrows on them. Does the end with the arrows go to a source component (dvd,vcr) or do they go to the receiver/pre-pro ?

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Craig, the arrows are intended to go in the direction of the signal. So, run the arrows towards your receiver or pre-amp (that is, away from your source component). I can't honestly say that it makes a difference in my experience, but that is how the arrow marker is intended to be utilized. By the way, there was a thread on this subject running here a couple days ago. You might want to search for it. A search for "arrow" might locate the thread.

3. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

those arrows crack me up. i'm sure it's a bunch of malarky, but you know what?
    i sure do make sure they point the right way! [​IMG]

4. Mike Knapp

Mike Knapp Supporting Actor

Mike
    You guys laugh all you want. A friend of mine called me over to help him rid himself of a buzz in his subwoofer. I noticed the sub cable was installed backward. I reversed it and the buzz went away.

The arrows are there for a reason.

Mike

5. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    Cables with arrows have the shield attached at a single end (vs. both ends). Perhaps for ground isolation?

Greg

6. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

7. Mike Knapp

Mike Knapp Supporting Actor

Mike
    One thing my momma taught me is that when you fix something you leave it alone! [​IMG]
    I had unplugged it several times before reversing it. The direction was causing the buzz...no doubt.
    Mike