What's new

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Premium
Real Name
Doug
That was my initial thought too but that doesn't really reconcile with the other handful of new features being on the disc and the existence of the special features from the previous releases.
I agree. My comment was pretty much tongue-in-cheek.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
The loss of the documentary is a blow, although I do still think this will be a good release. I'm glad it's getting attention ahead of the new Dune movie.

However, that begs the question: Will we see blu-ray releases of the two Dune miniseries ahead of the new movie? I think both of those were superior to the 1984 movie (which I also liked) and they deserve an updated release (yes, I know they were both released on blu-ray in other parts of the world and are available as region-free imports).
That's Chicken Soup for the Soul's call. Lionsgate's distribution agreement for the old Halmi catalog ended over a decade ago.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Judging from these caps, this transfer is the double edged sword I was expecting. The color is better and Universal's infamous late-2000s overly aggresive dnr is absent.

That being said...there is no fine detail here...at all. I mean look at this. Its just exchanging one kind of smear for another. And that's purely the problem of the garbage anamorphic process Dino De Laurentiis foisted on Lynch and others. This is how Dune has always looked, This is how Dune is always GOING to look. At an acceptable viewing level on a mid-size TV you probably won't notice it, but blown up on a projector you're in for a shock.

Last edited:

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Judging from these caps, this transfer is the double edged sword I was expecting. The color is better and Universal's infamous late-2000s overly aggresive dnr is absent.

That being said...there is no fine detail here...at all. I mean look at this. Its just exchanging one kind of smear for another. And that's purely the problem of the garbage anamorphic process Dino De Laurentiis foisted on Lynch and others. This is how Dune has always looked, This is how Dune is always GOING to look. At an acceptable viewing level on a mid-size TV you probably won't notice it, but blown up on a projector you're in for a shock.
Eh; it was 1984. Don't discount the use of LightFlex boxes, which would also have an impact on resolution, contrast levels, etc. by design. According to IMDB, they were using Todd-AO 35 anamorphic adapters, which are not Panavision, but what is?

dpippel

Premium
Real Name
Doug
I watched my copy today, and IMO the 4K UHD is a huge improvement over Universal's Blu-ray. I doubt that Dune will ever look any better than this. However, there are problems with some of the supplemental material. I get audio only when I play the following extras on the 4K UHD disc:

Designing Dune
Dune FX
Dune Models & Miniatures
Dune Costumes
Deleted Scenes Introduced by Raffaella de Laurentiis
Destination Dune

All of these featurettes have no video at all. Black screen. Anyone else experiencing this issue?

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
I watched my copy today, and IMO the 4K UHD is a huge improvement over Universal's Blu-ray. I doubt that Dune will ever look any better than this. However, there are problems with some of the supplemental material. I get audio only when I play the following extras on the 4K UHD disc:

Designing Dune
Dune FX
Dune Models & Miniatures
Dune Costumes
Deleted Scenes Introduced by Raffaella de Laurentiis
Destination Dune

All of these featurettes have no video at all. Black screen. Anyone else experiencing this issue?
On my 4K disc all the extras plays just fine. The image looks nice but a tad on the dark side and wished it was a little brighter. A bummer that on my case holding the discs a piece that holds them broke.
IMG_1021.JPG

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Thanks for the info Angelo. What player do you have? I'm using a Panasonic UB9000.
I have the Panasonic UB900 but i decided to play the disc with the Magnavox 4K player. I guess i can play the disc on the UB900 to see if it plays the extras.

Last edited:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Angelo. No bueno for me. Maybe I have a defective disc. I'll contact Arrow and see what they have to say.
Not that it's the same problem but I remember having the same "audio but no video" problem with a disc on a profile 1.0/early Blu-ray player. Hearing about problems like that make me fine with waiting longer to buy a UHD player.

dpippel

Premium
Real Name
Doug
Not that it's the same problem but I remember having the same "audio but no video" problem with a disc on a profile 1.0/early Blu-ray player. Hearing about problems like that make me fine with waiting longer to buy a UHD player.
This is the first playback issue I've ever had with the UB9000.

dpippel

Premium
Real Name
Doug
And it's entirely possible it's a disc issue. Are there still firmware updates for UHD players?
I think that Panasonic issues firmware updates when necessary, especially for their flagship player. The fact that these supplements play fine on Angelo's UB9000 points to it being a defective disc. Unfortunately, I don't have a different machine to test it on.

EDIT: I emailed Arrow this evening and will post their response when I get one.

Last edited:

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I think that Panasonic issues firmware updates when necessary, especially for their flagship player. The fact that these supplements play fine on Angelo's UB9000 points to it being a defective disc. Unfortunately, I don't have a different machine to test it on.

EDIT: I emailed Arrow this evening and will post their response when I get one.
Best of luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
runemesa
Recent bookmarks