What's new

Arrow Video Launching in the US (1 Viewer)

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
day of anger.jpg

I am looking forward to this release and hope Arrow has success releasing these catalog titles here in the US. Spaghetti Westerns may not be for everybody but I certainly enjoy them and will enjoy having this in my collection.

WadeM

Supporting Actor
tele1962 said:
I watched Blind Woman's Curse recently, PQ is not great to be honest as I felt contrast was a little high giving a washed out appearance to some scenes, but it is perfectly watchable and looks like it could have been down to the source material used.

Really enjoyed this film and will be looking at obtaining other Japanese films very soon especially ones of this sort of genre.

According to DVDBeaver, they seem to have fixed that issue for the U.S. release

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Holy shit! Day of Anger is coming out? Man, that is one of my favorite spaghetti westerns - that shit is EPIC! Now I can throw out that public domain disc I have - sweet!

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Just got an email that the Kickstarter perks have been shipped and are on the way. Can't wait!

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
They just posted an update on SHIVERS:

***SHIVERS UPDATE***
We’ve receive a fair few queries about the progress of this. First up, we can only apologise that it is taking far longer than we originally anticipated. We were very much hoping the situation would be resolved by the New Year but sadly this was not the case.
So, the good news is we will be running a replacement programme for this one so if you have purchased a copy of our release do keep hold of those proof of purchases!
The bad news is, we don’t have an exact timeline for this and at present it does look like this will be a bit of a way off. Unfortunately we're in the hands of TIFF who have their own schedule and Shivers isn't a priority for them at present. We are doing all we can to apply pressure and try and speed things up but sadly there isn't too much we can do. We believe that they are scanning another element of equal quality to the restoration they initially performed so this is what we are waiting for.
We could have cut in the SD elements we have - we have tested that and it looks fine - but knowing that higher quality work is underway, has made it very difficult to simply settle for SD inserts. If we'd know we'd all be waiting 5 months maybe we would have stuck with the SD option however we really want our Shivers release to be the best release possible and not simply a quick fix.
As mentioned we are working hard to keep things moving and we really appreciate all of your patience and support whilst we try and reach a suitable solution. As soon as we have a concrete update on the situation we will widely publish this so do keep checking back!

------

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I started receiving my titles this week, so some nice surprises in the mail. They seem to be shipping perks as they arrive instead of holding them back and doing on bulk shipment, which is pretty cool. I haven't had a chance to sit down and properly watch the films, but spot checking the blu's, they are all looking great. I got MARK OF THE DEVIL, DAY OF ANGER and MASSACRE GUN so far. BLIND WOMANS CURSE was held back due to an error on the DVD, the blu-ray supposedly is fine. It should ship in April, with a replacement program already in place for those who got the ones that snuck out extra early.

Considering all the bashing that was going on here over Arrow's SHIVERS release, I'm a little surprised there's been no further comment after my previous post of ARROW'S update on the situation... ;)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
July NA slate posted on facebook and looking real good!

Stray Cat Rock: The Collection

Release Date: 14th July 2015
Region: Free
Format: Dual Format Blu-ray + DVD
Starring: Meiko Kaji, Bunjaku Han, Tatsuya Fuji
Directed by: Yasuharu Hasebe, Toshiya Fujita

The Stray Cat Rock series stars Meiko Kaji (Lady Snowblood, Blind Woman’s Curse) who with these five films began her reign as the badass action queen of the era.

In these five tales of rebellious youth she stars alongside the gorgeous Bunjaku Han (Love Letter) and Tatsuya Fuji (In the Realm of the Senses). In Delinquent Girl Boss, a girl gang go up against criminal organisation the Seiyu Group, where following a fixed boxing match blood is shed and friendships are tested. In Wild Jumbo, Kaji and the gang get involved in a kidnapping and the robbery of a religious organisation. In Sex Hunter Kaji’s girl gang go up against The Eagles, a group led by Fuji where sex and violence erupt over the treatment of ‘half-breeds’. In Machine Animal gang rivalry is once again the focus with two gangs pursuing some LSD pushers looking to move a big score. The series swansong, Beat ’71, sees Kaji framed and sent to prison by her boyfriend’s father and with the help of some hippies she strives to be re-united.

Directed by genre veterans Yasuharu Hasebe (Massacre Gun, Retaliation) and Toshiya Fujita (Lady Snowblood) the films feature a psychedelic mix of girl gangs, bikers, sex, drugs and rock and roll with plenty of ass-kicking to boot, all captured in a delirious mash-up of pop aesthetics including split screens, freeze frames, injections of color, frenetic editing and dizzying angles, making these films a riotous joy from beginning to end.

SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS:
- Limited Edition Blu-ray (3000 copies only)
- High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentation of all five films in the Stray Cat Rock series
- Original Mono audio (uncompressed PCM on the Blu-rays)
- New English subtitle translation of all five films
- Interview with Yasuharu Hasebe director of Delinquent Girl Boss, Sex Hunter and Machine Animal
- Interview with actor Tatsuya Fuji, star of all five films
- Interview with actor Yoshio Harada, star of Beat ’71
- Original Trailers
- Collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the films by Japanese cinema expert Jasper Sharp

Cemetery Without Crosses!

UK Release Date: 20th July 2015

US Release Date: 21st July 2015
Region: A+B/1+2
Starring: Michèle Mercier, Robert Hossein, Guido Lollobrigida
Directed by: Robert Hossein

YOU BELIEVE IN REVENGE BUT I DON’T… IT NEVER ENDS

Inspired by the international success of the Dollars trilogy, and dedicated to director Sergio Leone, Cemetery Without Crosses offers a Gallic spin on the Spaghetti Western formula thanks to its star and creator, Robert Hossein (best-known to English-speaking audiences for his role in Jules Dassin’s Rififi).

After her husband is lynched by bandits, Michèle Mercier (Mario Bava’s Black Sabbath) seeks revenge and turns to an old friend, played by Hossein, for help. A solitary figure who lives in a ghost town and dons a single black glove before each gunfight, Hossein is initially reluctant but soon infiltrates the widow’s enemies to force a showdown.

Cemetery Without Crosses is a darker breed of Western, bleak and melancholy in tone amid the explosive set pieces. It also boasts an outstanding score by composer André Hossein (father of Robert) and the catchiest of themes, sung by cult figure Scott Walker.

- Brand new 2K restoration of the film from original film elements
- High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentations
- Original Italian and English soundtracks in uncompressed PCM mono audio
- Newly translated English subtitles for the Italian soundtrack
- Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing for the English soundtrack
- Remembering Sergio - an all-new interview with star and director Robert Hossein, filmed exclusively for this release
- French television news report on the film’s making, containing interviews with Hossein, and actors Michèle Mercier and Serge Marquand
- Archive interview with Hossein
- Trailers
- Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by James Flames
- Illustrated collector’s booklet containing new writing by Ginette Vincendeau and Rob Young

Eaten Alive!

UK Release Date: 27th July 2015

US Release Date: 28th July 2015
Starring: Robert Englund, Neville Brand, Mel Ferrer, Carolyn Jones, Marilyn Burns,William Finley
Directed by: Tobe Hooper

MEET THE MANIAC & HIS FRIEND.

Nearly a decade before he donned Freddy Kruger’s famous red and green sweater, horror icon Robert Englund delivered a supremely sleazy performance in Eaten Alive – another essay in taut Southern terror from Tobe Hooper, director of The Texas Chain Saw Massacre.

Deep in the Louisiana bayou sits the ramshackle Starlight Hotel, destination of choice for those who like to check in but not check out! Presided over by the bumbling, mumbling Judd (and his pet croc which he keeps in a large pond out front), the patron of this particular establishment may seem like a good-natured ol’ Southern gent – but he has a mean temper on him, and a mighty large scythe to boot…

Oozing atmosphere from its every pore (the entire film was shot on a sound-stage at the famous Raleigh Studios, which lends it a queasy, claustrophobic feel) Eaten Alive matches The Texas Chain Saw Massacre for sheer insanity – and even draughts in Chain Saw star Marilyn Burns as the terrorised woman-in-peril, alongside William Finley and Mel Ferrer.

DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS
- Brand new 2K transfer from the original camera negative
- High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentations
- Optional English SDH subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
- Audio commentary with co-writer and producer Mardi Rustam, make-up artist Craig Reardon and stars Roberta Collins, William Finley and Kyle Richards
- New introduction to the film by director Tobe Hooper
- Brand new interview with Hooper
- My Name is Buck: Star Robert Englund discusses his acting career
- The Butcher of Elmendorf: The Legend of Joe Ball – The story of the South Texas bar owner on whom Eaten Alive is loosely based
- 5ive Minutes with Marilyn Burns – The star of The Texas Chain Saw Massacre talks about working on Eaten Alive
- The Gator Creator: archival interview with Hooper
- Original theatrical trailers for the film under its various titles Eaten Alive, Death Trap, Starlight Slaughter and Horror Hotel
- US TV and Radio Spots
- Alternate credits sequence
- Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Gary Pullin
- Collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film, illustrated with original archive stills and posters
- More to be announced!

I was hoping for Stray Cat Rock, glad that it's coming over!

Derrick King

Screenwriter
Russell G said:
I was hoping for Stray Cat Rock, glad that it's coming over!
Me too. Disappointed that they kept it as limited to 3,000 copies. You'd think that, given how quickly the region B release sold out, a region A release would have a big enough market that they'd up the number to 5,000 or 6,000 copies.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Nice! the US version got held back due to rights, so I've requested the UK version for the Indigogo rewards. Probably wont see it for a little bit though since they just sent the email out about it yesterday.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Just to understand - Blood and Black Lace in the US is now delayed? If so, I'll immediately purchase from the UK, so would like an answer.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
haineshisway said:
Just to understand - Blood and Black Lace in the US is now delayed? If so, I'll immediately purchase from the UK, so would like an answer.

Currently delayed, from their Facebook post on March 30th:
***BLOOD AND BLACK LACE US RELEASE UPDATE***
Unfortunately some rights issues have meant that we have to postpone our North American release of Blood and Black Lace. Pre-orders will be held while we try to resolve the issue but unfortunately no stock will be shipped in North America for the moment. We are working towards a resolution and hope you will bear with us. Our UK release is unaffected and will start shipping soon.
As soon as we have more news on the situation we will post up another update so please stay tuned!

----

I think some copies made it over since I've seen pictures on social media, but not officially. The UK version isn't region locked to block NA, the only difference being the ugly UK certification stuff on the artwork (which is far from a big deal, which is why I opted to go with the UK for the indiegogo perks. :) )

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
August has been announced. I expect a shit show over the first one since CODE RED have a version in the works.

PItstop:

Release Date: 18th August 2015
Region: Free (NTSC DVD)
Starring: Brian Donlevy, Richard Davalos, Ellen Burstyn
Directed by: Jack Hill

RAW GUTS FOR GLORY! FLESH AGAINST STEEL!

The most dangerous game ever devised, to pit man against man, flesh against steel – the figure-8 race! Jack Hill (Coffy, Foxy Brown) follows up Spider Baby, once again teaming up with Sid Haig (House of 1000 Corpses) in one of his greatest roles for this action-spectacular crash-o-rama!

Richard Davalos (East of Eden) stars as Rick Bowman, a street punk who winds up in jail after a street race goes wrong. Bailed out by race promoter Grant Willard, Davalos is put in the deadly track where he comes up against Haig’s maniacal winner Hawk Sidney. Featuring an outstanding supporting cast including Brian Donlevy (The Quatermass Xperiment) in his last film appearance, Ellen Burstyn, billed as Ellen McRae (The Exorcist), and Beverly Washburn (Spider Baby), Pit Stop is one of Hill’s lesser known films but arguably his greatest.

Filmed on a real figure-8 track, Hill and his crew were able to capture gripping real-life car wreck scenes lending the film a brilliant sense of realism. You’ve never seen a motion picture like this before – can you take it?

DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS:
•New High Definition digital transfer supervised and approved by director Jack Hill
•High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentation
•Original Mono 1.0 audio (uncompressed PCM on the Blu-ray)
•New UK exclusive audio commentary with director Jack Hill moderated by his biographer Calum Waddell
•Crash and Burn! - Jack Hill on the making of Pit Stop
•Drive Hard - Actor Sid Haig speaks about his experience of acting in Pit Stop
•Life in the Fast Lane - producer Roger Corman on the genesis of Pit Stop
•Restoring Pit Stop – Restoration demonstration with Technical Supervisor James White
•Original Trailer
•Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Jay Shaw
•Collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film by critic Glenn Kenny and musicologist and writer Gray Newell on the film’s soundtrack, illustrated with original stills and artwork

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Second for August:

Le Grand Bouffe

UK Release Date: 17th August 2015

US Release Date: 18th August 2015
Starring: Marcello Mastroianni, Michel Piccoli, Philippe Noiret
Directed by: Marco Ferreri

The most famous film by Italian provocateur Marco Ferreri (Dillinger is Dead), La Grande bouffe was reviled on release for its perversity, decadence and attack on the bourgeoisie yet won the prestigious FIPRESCI prize after its controversial screening at the Cannes Film Festival.

Four friends, played by international superstars Marcello Mastroianni (Fellini’s 8½), Michel Piccoli (Belle de jour), Ugo Tognazzi (Barbarella) and Philippe Noiret (Zazie dans le métro) retreat to a country mansion where they determine to eat themselves to death whilst engaging in group sex with prostitutes and a local school teacher (Andréa Ferréol, The Tin Drum), who seems to be up for anything…

At once jovial and sinister, the film’s jet-black humour has a further twist as the reputed actors (whose characters use their own names) buck their respectable trend for a descent into fart-filled chaos that delivers a feast for the eyes and mind.

•Brand new 2K restoration of the original camera negative
•High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentation
•Original French audio (uncompressed PCM on the Blu-ray)
•Newly translated English subtitles
•The Farcical Movie – A French television profile of Marco Ferreri from 1975 in which the director discusses, among other things, the influence of Tex Avery, Luis Buñuel and Tod Browning’s Freaks
•Behind-the-scenes footage of the making of La Grande bouffe, containing interviews with Ferrari and actors Marcello Mastroianni, Michel Piccoli, Ugo Tognazzi and Philippe Noiret
•Extracts from the television series Couleurs autour d'un festival featuring interviews with the cast and crew recorded during the Cannes Film Festival
•A visual essay on the film with by Italian film scholar Pasquale Iannone
•Select scene audio commentary by Iannone
•News report from the Cannes Film Festival where La Grande bouffe caused a controversial stir, including Ferreri at the press conference
•Original Trailer
•Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Gilles Vranckx
•Booklet featuring new writing on the film by Johnny Mains, illustrated with original archive stills and posters

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Lastly:

Blood Rage

UK Release Date: 25th August 2015

US Release Date: 26th August 2015
Region: Free (NTSC DVD)
Starring: Louise Lasser, Mark Soper, Marianne Kanter
Directed by: John Grissmer

IT’S NOT CRANBERRY SAUCE!!!

What do you get if you combine Thanksgiving, American TV star Louise Lasser (Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman), killer 80s synths and some of the most gruesome special effects in all of slasher history courtesy of Ed (Terminator 2) French. Why, it’s Blood Rage of course!

Todd and Terry seem like sweet kids – that is, until one of them takes an axe to face of a fellow patron at the local drive-in. Todd is blamed for the bloody crime and institutionalised, whilst twin brother Terry goes free. Ten years later and, as the family gathers around the table for a Thanksgiving meal, the news comes in that Todd has escaped – and he’s heading their way. But has the killer twin in fact been in their midst all along? One thing’s for sure, there WILL be blood…

Filmed in 1983 at the tail-end of the slasher golden era but not released until 1987, Blood Rage (also re-cut and released to theatres as Nightmare at Shadow Woods) has been lovingly restored from the original vault materials for its first ever appearance on Blu-ray and DVD. Happy Thankskilling!

Special Edition Contents:
•Brand new 2K restoration from original vault materials of three versions of the film: Blood Rage, the original “hard” version, completely uncut and uncensored in a Blu-ray/DVD world premiere; the R-rated Nightmare at Shadow Woods 1987 re-cut, and a third “composite” cut combining all the footage from both Blood Rage and Nightmare at Shadow Woods
•High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentations
•Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
•Brand new extensive making-of documentary featuring interviews with various cast and crew
•Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly-commissioned artwork to be revealed
•Fully-illustrated collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film
•PLUS MORE TO BE ANNOUNCED!

LIMITED EDITION SLIPCOVER ON THE FIRST 1000 ORDERS!

Derrick King

Screenwriter
Arrow, apparently, have moved up the release date of their Pit Stop from August to July 7th, a week before the Code Red release. Also, Calum Waddell is claiming that Arrow doesn't have the rights to use his special features on the US release.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I have a sneaky feeling PIT STOP wont happen, but I guess we'll see. Arrows release is from a Jack Hill's print, the Code Red is coming from the negatives Roger Corman owns. As far as licensing and who owns the actual rights, I have no idea. As far as Calum Waddell goes, I've seen him go off bonkers on social media twice in as many weeks (this, and in regards to some essay or something he wrote for an upcoming Vinegar Syndrome release), so I have no idea on his situation either.

I'll take the Arrow release if it happens. Code Red no longer gets my money. La Grande Bouffe and Blood Rage should both be interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks