What's new

Arrow (The CW) (1 Viewer)

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Patrick Sun said:
So, how are they going to shoe-horn in Roy Harper into this incarnation of the Arrow lore? Though Thea has the nickname "Speedy", wonder how they'll transfer it over to Roy.
I'm one episode behind (watched the Huntress episode yesterday) and thought the same thing when he was fighting the thugs trying to rob Thea.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
We keep integrating more people into the island story; I have no idea if we've seen the girl or not before, but was interesting.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Matt Hough said:
Some weeks the island stuff is compelling, but it was my least favorite plot this week.
It had a very Karate Kid feel to it for me. I knew there had to be a reason for the water slapping, but by the time we got to the end, I felt...eh, okay, move onto something else now.

gwiz

Auditioning
Real Name
Greg
Don't you think by now, some people would start refering to him as "Green Arrow"? I was hoping after all the years of Smallville with "The Blur" that these writers could just work it into the plot somehow and call him by the freaking name already, but we get "The Hood" & "The Vigilante". Oh well.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
gwiz said:
Don't you think by now, some people would start refering to him as "Green Arrow"? I was hoping after all the years of Smallville with "The Blur" that these writers could just work it into the plot somehow and call him by the freaking name already, but we get "The Hood" & "The Vigilante". Oh well.
I think they are waiting for like the season finale, or hope so. But frankly, if they just call him Arrow, I'd be OK with that as well.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I like how conflicted the people who know the secret are about the secret; that there is a real moral debate going on whether or not what Oliver is doing is actually just or good. It's an interesting angle to take in a superhero show, but you have some characters who have firmly made up their minds, and others who really struggle with it.

I think it's one of the things as the show goes on I really appreciate. Good action tonight. Though, I have to admit when evil-James Gunn turned attorney ;) came storming in and blowing people away, I thought: they are investing in ALL the geek mantras tonight, to pair this one with Supernatural.
It really is a great combo for a Wednesday; CW really has the right set of programming for me.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I was a bit disappointed in Oliver tonight for seemingly (early in the episode) indulging in his love for Laurel and somewhat rubbing Tommy's face in it. Later, of course, he admits he can't have her out of concern for her safety, but instead of trying to win back Tommy's friendship, he seems complacent about their strained friendship. Seems like a phone call to Diggle to tell him of the changed plans wouldn't have been a bad thing either. I'm not digging Oliver's treatment of his closest allies.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
One of the things I like about the show is that Oliver screws up and makes serious mistakes. "Smallville" was a bit hamstrung because there's limits to how far you can have Clark Kent stray from the straight and narrow and still be recognizable as Clark Kent. The moral core of Clark was there right from the pilot. By contrast, Oliver's on a real journey. He's a better person now than he was when he got back from the island in the pilot. I believe and hope that he'll be a better person by at end of season two than he is now.

Tommy's on a dark path, and it's him trying to do the right thing and be honorable that has put him down it.

Roy Harper's obsession with tracking down the Archer puts Thea on a collision course to discover her brother's secret.

Oliver's take down of J. August Richards's coolly efficient hitman was one of the great action scenes on basic cable. Very well-executed.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Been watching the show in big gulps and am now caught up. The show moves quickly and is not afraid to shake things up. The cast is uniformly good.

I don't feel the show has ever adequately explained Oliver Queen's modus operandi with him dispatching the bad guys with arrows. If the focus was kept squarely on the names in his book hit list - after giving the victim of the week a chance first to turn themselves in - it would be more palatable.

The problem is the bulk of his dispatching occurs with the hired hands. Yeah they are bad guys but Queen never gives these red shirts the same consideration that he gives to the named offenders. A bit of a conundrum the show just skates around.

The real delight has been in the guest casting the show has pulled off. Actors such as Seth Gabel from Fringe, Manu Bennett as Craxus from Spartacus, James Callis and Rekha Sharma from Battlestar Galactica, and Ben Browder from Farscape. None of them get a real chance to develop their characters as its usually a one and done deal. The exception has been Manu who has had a recurring role playing an Australian Secret Service Agent - Slade Wilson in flashbacks from Queen's time on the island where he was shipwrecked for 5 years.

Oh, I am firmly on the Ollie and Felicity 'ship train. :)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Liked this week's episode a lot. Nice to see Green Arrow at his best doing what he's meant to do, and I was glad to see that Oliver can indeed admit his shortcomings and apologize. Felicity has certainly become essential to the show in a short period of time. Really enjoy her presence on the show.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I love Felicity's verbal miscues. Her line about loving having Oliver inside her killed me.

I like that the Undertaking started as a similar pursuit to what Oliver's doing, and then one zealot pushed things in too extreme of a direction and made something initially benevolent into something twisted and sick.

And they're getting better at showing that Oliver only badly wounded the henchmen and not killed them.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Adam Lenhardt said:
I love Felicity's verbal miscues. Her line about loving having Oliver inside her killed me.
Felicity and Oliver together forever! :wub:

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Felicity was also promoted to season 2 regular. Hoping next season they might introduce one superhero from the comics.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I never read The Green Arrow comic as a kid and in many ways I am glad that I didn't so I can just enjoy the show without
having to make comparisons to the comic. I don't like it when they change up a comic and its characters because the
heroes and villains are ingrained to be a certain way. Hence movies like X-Men, the Iron Man 3, etc. really bug
me with all the changes made.

Oh, and Felicity really cleans up nice!!

arrow_felicityfieldop_full.jpg

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Whether you love it or hate it, that was a GUTSY season finale. It wasn't one of those where a reset happened, or a cliffhanger.. no, we got all of the action (and a LOT of it) in the finale people fell to arrest. Buildings fell to an earthquake, and characters may have died.. and if they didn't die, their trajectory is permanently altered.

I imagine there are going to be some people who may not like where this went or how it went down... but count me into the crowd that wishes series took this kind of risk every so often, because that's a heck of a gamble going into Season 2, where most of the characters we know will at minimum be completely changed from where they are now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leif_sauce
Recent bookmarks