1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Arrow (Season 8)

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Adam Lenhardt, Jul 20, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Message #41 of 56 Nov 4, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
    Garysb

Garysb Producer

Paul Blackthorne Is Arrow's Latest Final-Season Encore per TVline.

Unknown how he is coming back since Quentin Lance was killed off in Season 6. If the Monitor can bring people from the future to the present I guess he can bring people from the past to the present. Another possibility is Earth X Nazi Quentin finds his way to Earth 1. They said Oliver doesn't go to another Earth this season other than in Crisis but that doesn't mean someone from another Earth can't come to Earth 1.

2. Message #42 of 56 Nov 5, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
    Garysb

Garysb Producer

Preview scene from tonight's episode. About what you would expect if you saw the end of last week's episode. Very emotional.

3. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

I thought Stephen Amell had great chemistry with both Ben Lewis and Katherine McNamara. I found myself really invested in those parent-child dynamics.

The whole bit with none of the people from the future recognizing The Shawkshank Redemption could just be a gag about how too few people watch classic movies. But I'm wondering if it's actually foreshadowing a bigger reveal; perhaps the 2040 crew are from a different Earth. That would allow them to plot a brighter future for the Star City of Earth-1, where J.J. doesn't grow up to be a mass murderer and Zoe doesn't die, without erasing these versions of William, Mia, and Connor from existence.

As for the stuff with the Monitor: He's basically a God. Everything that has happened thus far has happened because he allowed it to happen. Oliver's trip to Nanda Parbat, Curtis's anti-matter device, the arrival of Oliver's future children -- it's all part of the Monitor's plan. And I think his offer to Black Siren is legitimate, but also not as it seems. Either betraying Oliver will serve some greater good, or the Monitor needs Black Siren to choose to stay loyal to Oliver over restoring her universe.

Garysb likes this.
  4. David Weicker

David Weicker Producer

David
    Or this Monitor is just a evil S.O.B. I've never got the feeling that this anything but a supervillain. He's not trying to save anything - he's the one destroying them. I don't think that 'allowed' is the correct verb - 'caused' feels more proper. And if he gets his little 'ants' to scramble around before he brings out his magnifying glass, so much the better.

5. Message #45 of 56 Nov 6, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
    Garysb

Garysb Producer

I was more moved by Ben Lewis's scenes with Stephen Amell then I was with Katherine McNamara's scenes. I like the character of William as an adult. I did not like the character as a kid. I like how they dealt with the time he asked to live with his grandparents. It felt very real.I think they will be foolish not to include him in the spin off. My guess is that perhaps Mia stays in the present is to help prevent the future. I think JJ is probably in the present though we haven't seen him yet. Perhaps he also stays in the present to ensure the future stays the way it was. I like that so far in every episode they show a picture of Felicity and mention her. The reason given for not contacting her was weak but they had to come up with something.

I like how they said Oliver just disappeared so there is apparently no body in his future grave. Makes it possible that he actually ends up in paradise universe after Crisis waiting for Felicity

I think Adam's theory about The Monitor's goal is to get Laurel to choose Oliver over getting back Earth 2 is the most likely to happen. Not that he couldn't bring Earth 2 back.

6. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

Per The CW, "Arrow" will conclude its eighth season with a two-hour event on Tuesday, January 28, beginning with a finale preview (8:00-9:00pm ET/PT) followed by the "Arrow" series finale (9:00-10:00pm ET/PT).

7. Message #47 of 56 Nov 12, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
    Garysb

Garysb Producer

Stephen Amell posted this November 7th captioned "Tonight is the last night I wear the Arrow suit."

[​IMG]

ponset likes this.
  8. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

And that's a wrap on "Arrow"!

A letter from the showrunners (click to enlarge):
    Arrow_S08_022.

ponset and Garysb like this.
  9. Garysb

Garysb Producer

From TVline:
    Quotes from the cast upon wrapping up filming:

Among original cast members, David Ramsey shared, “During my last week on Arrow, a lot of things fill my mind… but mostly family,” while Katie Cassidy Rodgers passed along a BTS group photo, remarking: “The amount of love and respect I have for this brilliant cast is insane. I couldn’t imagine the long nights with anyone else….. You all have inspired me in so many ways and I’m blessed to have been a part of this incredible journey.”

Juliana Harkavy shared a photo she took upon landing the role of Dinah Drake, who debuted midway through Season 5. “I took this photo almost four years ago. I’d just gotten off a call with Warner Bros. where I learned my life was about to change forever. My journey on Arrow had begun,” she wrote on Instagram. “I hope you enjoy this final season. And I hope when you look back, you’ll find this story has moved you, inspired you, and changed you for the better. Because of #Arrow, I have been changed, for good.”

To that, Amell replied, “It’s cool when you get to work on your dream job and also become best friends with someone” — a recurring theme among the cast’s social media expressions.

Colin Donnell, for example, recalled meeting Amell “and seeing the amount of sushi he was gonna down post-training session,” as well as “our first day of shooting spent laying on a wet pallet, and not wanting it to end.

“I’m proud to have been a part of it over the last eight seasons,” Tommy’s off-and-on portrayer continued, “but here’s what’s even more wonderful: I have always said that as I move from job to job, I’m lucky if I get to keep ONE good friend after I move on. With Arrow I’ve kept more than I thought possible.”

Colton Haynes similarly hailed the “beautiful humans [who] were with me through all the good and sad times and helped me through more than I can ever repay them for.” He then thanked Arrowverse overlord Greg Berlanti “for bringing me on this wonderful journey.”

Katherine McNamara, who joined Arrow midway through Season 7 and now is poised to co-star with Cassidy Rodgers and Harkavy on a potential offshoot, recalled, “When I began this job, I was poised and ready, excited to jump in and take on a legacy of being Olicity’s kid — to create such a rich, conflicted character based on a beloved relationship built by two brilliant actors for whom I have so much respect.
    “What I found was a family who welcomed me in… who joined and supported my enthusiasm in bringing Mia Smoak-Queen to life,” she added. “No matter what the future holds, long live Star City.”

10. Garysb

Garysb Producer

11. Garysb

Garysb Producer

Was there any explanation why Felicity never got in touch with William between 2019 and 2040 other than to keep Mia safe off the grid? Odd that adult William refers to her as "Mom" when he was with his birth Mom far longer than he was with Felicity. If Oliver wasn't the Green Arrow his mother wouldn't have been killed. His grandmother paid off his mother so that Oliver wouldn't know he had a child ( though his mother didn't cash the check.) He seems very well adjusted despite all that especially when you consider how Oliver's sister Emiko, handled a similar situation . They want William to be Felicity 2.0 and Mia Oliver 2.0 but neither spent much time with the person they are supposed to be so much like.

12. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

Fun to see Anatoly again.

I'm really enjoying how efficient the storytelling is this season. This episode revisited Oliver's Russia years, but it also furthered the character arcs.

Mia is beginning to understand why her father is such a legend. Oliver is learning how capable his children have become as adults. And Mr. Secrets and Compartmentalization is learning to be more open.

Black Siren got her Big Damn Hero moment, choosing loyalty to her comrades over saving her entire universe.

Lyla got exposed as Harbinger.

John and Roy had a little plutonium adventure, which felt disconnected from the rest of the action but fun in a standard-issue "Arrow" kind of a way.

13. Garysb

Garysb Producer

This is sweet . From TVline.

Question: I’m a diehard Arrow fan! Do you have any scoop on what’s left of the final season? –Brooke
    Ausiello: Katherine McNamara told Matt Mitovich that having Emily Bett Rickards’ Felicity return for the series finale was “so critical” for the storyline. “It was just lovely to have her back on set,” she also said of her TV mom. “It made even the social aspect of wrapping the show mean so much more because she is so much of what Arrow is and I love Emily to death…. I’m so glad it worked out.”

14. Garysb

Garysb Producer

This is a surprise. I assumed Mia would stay in the present with Laurel and Dinah.

upload_2019-11-21_21-34-9.

15. Garysb

Garysb Producer

TVline interview with David Ramsey who directed tonight's episode of Arrow.

TVLINE | When I first saw the promo for this episode, I was like, “Huh. Another type of ‘alternate reality’ thing….” Make me feel better about that. What makes this time different?
    Let’s see…. If you think about Russian dolls…. If you think about Groundhog Day…. If you think about… [Searches for the right words]

TVLINE | People caught in a loop? Things folding in on themselves? Inception?
    Think about Inception, think about that. If you think about that, you’ll get more of an idea where we’re going with this. I don’t think you’ve seen this before.

Arrow 8x06TVLINE | What specific challenges did this episode present for you as director?
    It’s interesting you ask that. This particular episode — and I’m trying to say this in a way that I’m not giving away too much — has challenges in that Oliver has to be helped along in his journey, by these figures, and what you want to do with the episode is make sure that what he’s getting is sincere information, that he’s not being manipulated by the Monitor.

By the end of this episode, we don’t want people to say, “Oliver maybe shouldn’t be where he was emotionally, because [SPOILER REDACTED].” What you want, at the end of it, is for all of it to be a sincere, cathartic experience that you have gone through with Oliver, so that by the time it’s over, you’ve gone to a new emotional place with Oliver — and you don’t feel as if it’s been manufactured in any way. You don’t feel used.

TVLINE | We will feel like these past few episodes were time well spent.
    That’s right. Paul [Blackthorne] and Stephen [Amell] and I had long conversations about this, just in terms of by the end of this episode, you wanted to feel like Oliver is a different place, and it’s because his experience has been genuine. All these things really, truly happened in such a way where it has helped Oliver in a sincere, truthful fashion. And when you see the episode, you’ll understand better what I’m talking about. So that was the challenge for me as a director.

Arrow Harbinger LylaTVLINE | When last we saw Diggle, he had been zinged in neck by a tranq dart while glaring at Lyla with much confusion. What state is he in the next time we see him?
    The state you see him in is… recovery. That would be the quick answer. He’s recovered from what happened on that rooftop. And you get to see them all, and they have all recovered. Part of the recovery is what’s happening in the episode — particularly with Oliver. I can’t tell you exactly how they recover, but when you meet Diggle, Oliver and Laurel again, after the tranq, they’ve all recovered.

TVLINE | I imagine that there are some serious words to be had between John and Lyla.
    There are.

TVLINE | Do we get that meaty scene this week?
    I will say this: the scene between Diggle and Lyla this week will happen between Oliver and Lyla. That moment that you’re looking for, between Diggle and Lyla, will happen not in this episode. But, some of the questions that you have for Lyla will be asked through Oliver this week.

TVLINE | Were you excited for Audrey [Marie Anderson], to see her finally “suit up” herself, as Harbinger?
    Oh my God…. Audrey came to me like, “Oh, I feel different in this uniform! You just put it on and something happens!” I was like, “Now you’re getting the superhero stuff!” I was so excited, and happy, for her. She’s been with us since the beginning, and it’s such a wonderful arc for her character. And that arc, you’re going to see so much of what is happening with Lyla and with Harbinger in this episode. This episode will answer a lot of questions for you concerning her.

TVLINE | [Showrunner] Beth Schwartz said at very start of the season that there would be some sort of callback to the Baby Sara situation. Is that still on horizon?
    It is. It is not in this episode, but Baby Sara has not been forgotten — thank you for asking! — and you will be getting a callback, without a doubt. And honestly, I would say you’ll be getting more than just a callback.

TVLINE | Will we see further bonding between Diggle and Connor? You and Joseph David-Jones had some really nice scenes a few weeks back.
    Yes, you will. You will be getting bonding between father and son — and some recovery from what has happened to his biological son [J.J.] in the future.

Arrow 8x07 Lian YuTVLINE | They just released the photos for next week’s episode, which takes place on Lian Yu, and it looks bananas. There is one of all of you lined up, and coming through a fiery explosion behind you is someone on a motorcycle.
    Yep. Yep. Lian Yu plays an integral part in not only next week’s episode, but also in [the]”Crisis” [crossover event]. Lian Yu is an important piece of “Crisis,” so next week’s episode is a bit of a precursor to that.

TVLINE | Lastly, what did you grab from set after wrapping filming on Arrow and before bidding Vancouver adieu?
    Spartan’s gun. [Publicist on phone chimes in: “Noted!”] Spartan’s gun will not be in the Warner Bros. archives.

TVLINE | You didn’t want anything to do with the visor helmet?
    I did, but they would let me take it. I tried to get to the helmet first, but they knew I was going for the helmet!

16. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

I appreciated that both Oliver and Earth-2 Laurel figured out more or less exactly what was going on in the second loop. Usually time loop stories require several iterations before the protagonist gets it, but neither Oliver nor Laurel are stupid.

I found the explanation for why Oliver's adult children were sent back to be a part of this journey to be both simple and unexpectedly moving: "Time is a gift." The Monitor knows that he is asking Oliver to make the ultimate sacrifice. He knows that he is the reason that Oliver won't get to see his kids grow up. He can't do anything about that. But he can allow Oliver to see the people they become, and he can allow the people they become to know their father.

With the gang back on Lian Yu, I'm really hoping Manu Bennett is back as Slade Wilson. If you set aside the crossover episode and the planted pilot for the spinoff, next week's episode is the last one before the series finale.