1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Arrow (Season 7)

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Adam Lenhardt, Jul 21, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    holtge and David Weicker like this.
  2. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

The cold open of tonight's episode delighted me more than this show has delighted me in a long time -- particularly seeing some returning faces, like Thea, that I figured we'd never see again. I wish the rest of the episode had kept it up.

DavidJ likes this.
  3. Garysb

Garysb Cinematographer

I really enjoyed tonight's episode more than I have liked any other episode this season including the crossover. Loved seeing all the returning characters from 7 seasons. It was great seeing team Arrow actually interacting with each other. Would have loved to see Ollie's parents in the documentary and Tommy, Oliver's late best friend. Could have lost Barry Allen. His scene was cute but why would a documentary about Oliver Queen have an interview with Barry Allen a CSI from Central City.

holtge likes this.
  4. Gary Seven

Gary Seven Grand Poo Pah

Gaston
    I can see that. I put up with a lot of stupid plot holes and bad writing to get my 10 to 20 minutes of geek fest with these shows.

I was thinking regarding the flash forward, I wonder if we will see Green Arrow as he is (was? I haven't seen the comics in decades) in the comics, where he is older with a goatee (a' la the Neal Adams years when he was with Hal Jordan).

5. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    Didn't we see the future GA in one of the Legends episodes that took place 30 years in the future? Wasn't he the Dark Knight Returns GA, missing one arm? Am I misremembering that?

6. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

"Star City 2046", in the first season. But that was an alternate future where the Legends never defeated Vandal Savage. The actor who played Connor Hawke/John Diggle Jr. reprised the role at the end of Tuesday's episode, though.

7. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

The final scene of tonight's February finale had to be the least surprising surprise reveal I've ever seen, but that's okay because it was the only satisfying answer to that mystery, and it opens up interesting possibilities in the present day scenes.

This was Echo Kellum's last episode as a series regular, which makes me happy. I don't think the character of Curtis has worked since he was introduced. Kellum delivered exactly what was on the page, it's just the way the character was conceptualized didn't work, and the tonal shifts required to work him into scenes never stopped being awkward.

8. Garysb

Garysb Cinematographer

Arrow star on their shocking exit from the show: 'It's not the end of

[​IMG]
    Dean Buscher/The CW

February 11, 2019 at 09:00 PM EST
    Warning: This post contains spoilers from Monday’s episode of Arrow, “Star City Slayer.” Read at your own risk!

Team Arrow just lost one terrific member.

Monday’s installment of Arrow ended with Curtis Holt, a.k.a. Mr. Terrific (Echo Kellum), bidding adieu to Star City for a job in Washington, D.C. With that onscreen move comes Kellum’s official departure from the CW superhero show as a series regular, EW can now reveal.

In “Star City Slayer,” Curtis received a job offer from the Kohler Humanitarian Institute in D.C. because of the technology he’s developed. As he weighed his options, the team started tracking a serial killer, which led to Curtis using his tech to save Dinah (Juliana Harkavy) after the killer slit her throat. That feat helped him make the decision to take the job, because it would allow him to help as many people as possible. Diggle (David Ramsey) tried to get him to stay by offering him a promotion at A.R.G.U.S., but Curtis turned him down and handed Helix over to his partner in crime Felicity (Emily Bett Rickards) before leaving.

Kellum, on the other hand, made the decision to leave Arrow after four seasons because he wanted to spend more time with his family in Los Angeles and is interested in pursuing other ventures in music, writing, and directing. However, both Kellum and executive producer/showrunner Beth Schwartz assure EW that this isn’t the last of Mr. Terrific.

“I love working with Echo, who is an absolute delight and joy,” Schwartz tells EW in a statement. “Echo has always brought humor and heart to Arrow. Curtis is such a fun character to write for and he’ll be greatly missed. We haven’t seen the last of Mr. Terrific.”

Below, Kellum opens up about his decision to leave, his favorite moments on the show, and what’s next for him creatively.

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: How did your exit come about? Was it your decision, the producers’, or something mutual?
    ECHO KELLUM: I had a conversation with [then-showrunner] Marc Guggenheim in season 6. It was my idea. I have kids — I have a 12-year-old — and it was just starting to feel like I should be back home more.

First of all, I love working on this show. I love the cast, the producers. It’s the best cast I’ve ever worked with, the best studio. They’ve taken such great care of me and made me feel like I’ve been there since season 1. So all of this has been very bittersweet because I actually feel very crestfallen, because it’s so tough to leave such an amazing show. But I think for me, it just boiled down to family, and also I just wanted to try a couple of creative ventures in my life. I’m working on music, directing, and writing now. I still love acting, but it’s something I’m not looking at as the top thing of my career anymore. I’m looking at my career in a different light.

So, I approached Marc. We had a long conversation about family and fatherhood and all those things, and he totally got where I was coming from. You know, Warner Bros. and the network were so generous to be able to let me exit gracefully. What I will say, this isn’t the end of Curtis. I’ll definitely come back as much as they want me back, and visit and guest-star and whatnot. So, it’s not the end of him. I guess it’s really a family decision overall, just to be a little closer to my kids. I’ve been around my kids more during the school parts of the year the most that I have been in the last four years, even in the past month. It was definitely not an easy decision.

[​IMG]
    Jack Rowand/The CW
    Both Arrow and the Arrowverse as a whole have this sort of open-door policy where actors have the flexibility to come and go as they need. Did that make it easier for you to approach Marc and Beth about this?
    Absolutely. I’ve know things that have happened with actors in the past, so that was definitely something that made it easier to broach the conversation. I went to them just to have a conversation — not being like, “Hey, I want off!” but just to gauge where they were, how they felt about how I was feeling, and all I got was full support. They didn’t want me to leave. I’m so thankful that they wanted me to be part of the show in the first place, and they still want me to be part of it. So, it’s definitely an open-door policy for me. I’ll come back any time they need me to come back, for sure, but right now? It’s really nice to be around family more and take care of these creative ventures that I’ve been working on in L.A. as well.

The episode ends with Curtis deciding he can put his tech to better use in Washington after he gets his job offer. How did you feel about the way Curtis was written off?
    I liked it because it’s still innately Curtis wanting to help other people. He’s leaving in a way where he can try to have a bigger impact in trying to help other people in the world. I really appreciate that, because I hope it leaves open the door for him to pop back in every once in a while until they get to their 300th episode. [laughs]

What was your last day on set like?
    It was very emotional. I definitely cried. Everyone cried. It was really difficult because they are my family and all of us have such a great rapport, on screen and off the screen. The last day was really tough. A lot of tears, a lot of cakes. But the last day, we shot in this spooky house, so it was very interesting. I feel good about my decision overall, but I’m going to miss all of them, miss being the trenches with them every day and laughing on set and just being silly, and then also just telling this amazing story that our amazing writers are crafting. So it’s just definitely very bittersweet. I’m exited for what’s in the future, but it’s tough to leave such an amazing show.

What do you think you’ll miss about Curtis, this character you’ve been with for four years?
    I just like his charm. He’s so silly and he brings a lot of levity to a lot of the darkness that the show can permeate. I’m gonna miss that about him — that he just has a great outlook on life, like his positivity. It doesn’t mean he hasn’t dealt with hardships and doubting himself and whatnot, but I think I can pull that from him, of just being positive and looking at the bright side of things, and trying to do the best I can for my fellow man. I’m really going to miss playing those parts.

Looking back at these past four seasons, what was your favorite moment or episode on the show?
    One of my favorite moments was getting to put on the Terrific 2.0 costume. That was such an hugely empowering moment for me personally as an actor. It was so great.

But as you say that, the moment that comes back to me again and again is in season 5, episode 2. Me, Rick Gonzalez, and Madison McLaughlin, who played Artemis, we were all having a scene. We’re training, Oliver’s got the bell. Oliver and Felicity have a moment, and we’re just in the background just kind of chilling and improv-ing some banter in character. Then, Rick says, “Hey, we on a TV show.” We are all still in character. [laughs] It was just such a perfect moment from Wild Dog. As the character, I thought he would say something like this. “Look, there’s cameras everywhere,” and we’re like, “Dude, what are you talking about?” That moment was so funny and so meta. We talk about that moment so often. We’ll be shooting a scene and I’m like, “Rick, we on a TV show, man,” and then we just start laughing and cracking up. That is really one of the moments that touches my heart.

Honestly, the moment that I really think about is the first moment when I got to meet Felicity and came in that first day. I just remember how amazing it was to feel welcomed and a part of that universe from the jump. That’s a moment that really holds true to my heart. Honestly, there are a couple of episodes from this season: The episode where I got to do French, that was so much fun. The episode where I got to flip the script on Diaz [Kirk Acevedo] was so much fun too. I really like where they were going with him. I hope there can be some type of a future for him Arrowverse. It won’t be on an episodic basis, but I’m really proud of the work I got to do with this character and thankful that they let me play with him for four years.
    [​IMG]
    Dean Buscher/The CW
    Have you started talking to the writers about when that potential return might happen, or is that still far off?
    We’ve had some discussions. Nothing’s been finalized at this point, but we’ve definitely discussed that aspect and they definitely made sure and clear that they want Curtis to come back. I can’t give you any definitive episodes or storylines, but it’s definitely something I’m 100-percent open to doing, and I believe they’re open to doing it too, so it should definitely work out at some point in the future.

If things aligned where you were available and they wanted you back, would you want to be involved in next year’s big “Crisis on Infinite Earths” crossover?
    Of course, 100 percent! That’s going to be so epic and amazing! I would love to be a part of those crossovers.

Is there anything more you can share about what you have planned post-Arrow?
    I’m working on music right now. It’s been a labor of love. I’ve been working on an album for the past two years, but now I’m afforded the time to actually focus on it and really get into the studio and bang some stuff out. I’ve been shooting some things. I just shot a short; got some financing for it and shot that. And writing a bunch of scripts. I have a feature that we’re out trying to sell right now and a pilot we’re out trying to sell right now. Everything is very irons-in-the-fire, but I’m just very confident in my future and my work ethic. I know it’s only a matter of time before things fall down.[/SPOILER]

9. Message #29 of 61 Feb 12, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    Garysb

Garysb Cinematographer

So is the "Crisis on Infinite Earths" going to start with a baby shower for Felicity and possibly Iris?

Nine episodes left and I am still disappointed with this season. Legacy rather than a big bad seems to be the direction of this season and I am just not enjoying it.

The takeaway from the future seems to be it would have been much better if no one found out who the Green Arrow really was. Keep your secrets.

It will be interesting if the writers can come up with a convincing reason to explain why William knew nothing about Mia. I suspect whatever explanation they come up with we are going to groan.

10. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

Arrow_S07_001.

The show's producers released the following statement:

“This was a difficult decision to come to, but like every hard decision we’ve made for the past seven years, it was with the best interests of Arrow in mind,” executive producers Greg Berlanti, Marc Guggenheim and Beth Schwartz said in a statement. “We’re heartened by the fact that Arrow has birthed an entire universe of shows that will continue on for many years to come. We’re excited about crafting a conclusion that honors the show, its characters and its legacy and are grateful to all the writers, producers, actors, and — more importantly — the incredible crew that has sustained us and the show for over seven years.”

Amell has left the door open to reprising his role as Oliver Queen on the other Arrowverse shows as a special guest star.

This news increases speculation, already rampant, that:
    Oliver Queen will die during the Crisis on Infinite Earths crossover event, having made a deal with The Monitor to sacrifice himself so that The Flash and Supergirl might live.

ponset likes this.
  11. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    All good things....

Amell has been great as Green Arrow. I think he's been the strongest lead any of these shows have (even when Arrow wasn't as good as it could have been), and they would do well to keep him around to appear on the other shows from time to time.

12. Message #32 of 61 Mar 17, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
    Garysb

Garysb Cinematographer

From TVline questions they hope are answered in this week's all future episode. Many tongue in cheek.

1 | How did Oliver and Felicity hide her pregnancy from the outside world, namely their close friends and family? Really big ferns?

2 | Why did Oliver and Felicity lose touch with William, as he claims?

3 | Is Oliver dead in 2040?

4 | We’ve seen future versions of Roy, Rene and Dinah — but where is Diggle?!

5 | Is Connor Hawke indeed Bronze Tiger’s grown-up son, as heavily hinted this past week? If so, does that mean Dante or Emiko is about to orphan the kid?

6 | Why isn’t Dig’s biological son, John Jr., around in the future? (Remember: Although Legends of Tomorrow‘s version of 2046 represented an alternate future, John Jr. there operated as Connor Hawke aka Green Arrow.)

7 | From whom did Mia learn to fight? Izzy?

8 | What exactly drove Felicity to go into hiding?

9 | How did Roy end up on Lian Yu, where William found him in the season opener? What happened between him and Thea?

10 | When and why did Rene cross over to the other side? How did he become mayor of the Glades? (Was the word “hoss” part of his campaign slogan?)

11 | Was there a specific incident that caused Star City’s downfall and the Glades’ rise?

12 | Is Big Belly Burger still around in 2040

13. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

The reveal that syndicated television's Duncan MacLeod is actually working for Emiko -- who is the leader of the Ninth Circle, which is basically the League of Assassins with a different name -- was mildly surprising.

But there's less suspense than there might be with her storyline because all of the flashbacks highlighted just how important family is to her. Being a Queen, being rejected by Robert Queen, is fundamental to her identity. She was ready to turn her back on the Ninth Circle if Robert Queen had just believed in her and given her the seed money. And when he didn't she hated him bad enough to try and murder him and his son, her brother. You don't hate that intensely if you don't care.

So even while she's been playing the long con against Oliver, the time she's been spending with him has had an effect, because he's given her the validation she'd always craved from their father. And he's not the soft pampered brat that she expected; her sabotage of the Queen's Gambit ultimately ensured that.

My guess is that Dante will be ultimately be revealed as the person who killed Emiko's mother, and that will be what finally turns her against the Ninth Circle.

14. Garysb

Garysb Cinematographer

My initial reaction when I heard the show was ending after a short 10 episode 8th season was sadness. However I am just not enjoying this season. Oliver is acting stupid. His wanting to save Emiko despite all the evidence against her is ridiculous. We have been through this story before with John and his brother and this was even reference in this week's episode. The show seems to be implying that since Robert Queen, her father, cut her and her mother out of his life and refused to support them, that all she does is justified and Oliver has to make it up to her. That they are making Emiko responsible for the explosion on the Queen's Gambit that started the series is really stretching things.

I am assuming Felicity's friend whose name I can't remember will be the one responsible for turning Felicity's invention into the future bad device seen in the fast forward.

Everything still points to Oliver being killed or somehow disappearing during next year's crossover. I guess Felicity will go into hiding ether by the end of this season or the beginning of next season so that no one sees that she is pregnant. Maybe Emiko is responsible for that also.

Bottom line I guess it really is time for the show to end and maybe it has gone on for a season plus 10 episodes too long.

15. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

16. Message #36 of 61 Mar 31, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
    Garysb

Garysb Cinematographer

Very sorry to hear that Felicity will not be in Season 8. The show has obviously been planning this for awhile with the mention that no one on team Arrow knew she was pregnant. Therefore the character would have had to leave before the pregnancy became obvious. I wish they had waited with the announcement that Emily was leaving until the character was written off. It would be a greater shock if it first became known during an episode of Arrow. I am guessing maybe she has a movie or other work that made her unavailable for the short 10 episode 8th season. Remember Stephen Amell told the producers at the end of Season 6 that he wanted to leave at the end of Season 7. The producers asked him to stay for 10 episodes of Season 8 and they were originally considering continuing with a new person assuming the identity of Green Arrow. They eventually decided against this and to just have a short final season. Emily probably made plans on the assumption Season 7 was the final season. When the plans changed she was no longer available. We know Felicity will be alive off screen in the present. Hopefully they wont kill her in the future time line. I am thinking more and more that the Crisis will change everything on Arrow to give the characters a happy ending. It will just take place off screen unless Emily agrees to make an appearance on the final episode. Funny how there have been so much speculation that Cisco is leaving The Flash and none about Felicity leaving Arrow. If Laurel, Katie Cassidy, leaves at the end of the next episode about the canaries as has been rumored, the only actors from the pilot who will be in season 8 are Stephen and David Ramsey.

17. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    Sorry to see her go; she's brought a lot to the entire Arrowverse.

18. Message #38 of 61 Mar 31, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
    Garysb

Garysb Cinematographer

More information from TVline.
    Emily Bett Rickards‘ shocking decision to exit Arrow ahead of the CW drama’s eighth and final season will be reflected in the Season 7 finale, TVLine has learned.

• Speaking with TVLine on Sunday at the Writers Guild Foundation’s WGFestival 2019, Arrow showrunner Beth Schwartz said that Rickards’ and thus Felicity’s exit “is addressed at the end of this season” versus, say, in the final season premiere. (Schwartz tweeted back on March 19 that she was in the process of writing the finale script, while series lead Stephen Amell shared on March 25 that he had read it.) As Schwartz explained to TVLine, “We kinda knew” going in where Rickards’ head was at with regards to her future on the series.

On Saturday afternoon, Rickards shared the news of her exit via Instagram, which in part said, “Felicity and I are a very tight two, but after one through seven we will be saying goodbye to you.” Shortly thereafter, Schwartz and Arrowverse EP Greg Berlanti issued a statement saying, “[A]lthough we’re heartbroken to see both Emily and Felicity leave the show, we’re completely supportive of Emily and her future endeavors. She will always have a family at Arrow.”

Does that closing part of the joint statement mean that Rickards will likely return for at least the sure-to-be-grand series finale? (Arrow’s eighth and final season is running just 10 episodes.)

“I cannot comment on that,” Schwartz answered.

19. Garysb

Garysb Cinematographer

Stephen Amell's comment per TVlIne

Two days after Emily Bett Rickards announced she’ll be leaving Arrow, the man behind Oliver Queen has opened up about his co-star’s forthcoming departure.

In a heartfelt Instagram post on Monday, Stephen Amell praised the “energy and vibrancy” that Rickards has brought to her Arrow alter ego, adding that he and Rickards developed a special bond while working on the show.

“For me, August 3rd, 2012 is the most important day in the history of our show. It was the first day I worked with Emily,” Amell wrote. “Her energy and the vibrancy she gave to Felicity Smoak is only surpassed by what she personally gave to me. She was a co-worker that became a best friend. So on the first day of our last episode together, I’d like everyone to know how deeply I appreciate the past seven years. We wouldn’t be here without you. I love you. And I cannot wait to see what you do next.”

Rickards revealed on March 30 that she’ll be leaving The CW’s flagship superhero drama at the end of its in-progress seventh season. “Felicity and I are a very tight two, but after [seasons] one through seven we will be saying goodbye to you,” she shared in an Instagram post.

Following the actress’ announcement, Arrow executive producers Greg Berlanti and Beth Schwartz released a joint statement in support of her decision, which read in part, “Although we’re heartbroken to see both Emily and Felicity leave the show, we’re completely supportive of Emily and her future endeavors. She will always have a family at Arrow.”

Schwartz later confirmed to TVLinethat Rickards’ (and thus Felicity’s) exit will be “addressed at the end of this season,” though she could not comment on whether Rickards would eventually be back for Arrow‘s series finale.

As previously reported, Arrow will conclude with a 10-episode Season 8. The final season’s abbreviated run means the series will wrap up shortly after this fall’s “Crisis on Infinite Earths” crossover with The Flash and Supergirl(and possibly Legends of Tomorrow). CW President Mark Pedowitz hinted at the Television Critics Association Winter Press Tour in January that the special event will take “some big swings.”

20. Garysb

Garysb Cinematographer

Colin Donnell, "Tommy", is leaving Chicago Med at the end of this season. Perhaps he will be available to appear during the Crisis as "Tommy" from another Earth as he did during the Earth X crossover. Only this time with a larger part. I hope many of the characters, Ollie's parents, his step father, Thea , Felicity, Captain Lance, etc. who have left, show up sometime during the short final season.