What's new

Arrow (season 2) (1 Viewer)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I REALLY don't care about Laurel's downward spiral, and every return to her storyline took me away from the rest of the episode which I was really enjoying. If the show follows the comics, then I guess Laurel will replace Sarah and thus there is a reason for her to get her life straightened out. But since I have found Laurel a drag since episode 1, I just don't care.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I enjoyed last night's episode, but the frustrating thing about all these serialized shows is that the storyline happens in short spurts here and there. As for Laurel, Sara coming back could be the thing that helps her get straight. BTW, I kinda hope they don't replace Sara with Laurel. Caity Lotz is a terrific addition to the show and I hope she stays for the long haul. Nice to see Roy join the team (finally) but boy, there sure are a lot of people who know the secret now, aren't there? Why do super heroes on TV and in movies feel the need to tell so many people? Their 2D counterparts never did.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Sam Favate said:
Nice to see Roy join the team (finally) but boy, there sure are a lot of people who know the secret now, aren't there? Why do super heroes on TV and in movies feel the need to tell so many people? Their 2D counterparts never did.
I haven't seen last night's ep yet, but I can only imagine Roy's relationship with Thea is playing into Ollie's decision-making a little bit. The closer Roy is to Ollie, the more Ollie can mentor and keep a tab on him, the less likely it is he gets hurts. The less likely Roy gets hurt...the better Thea is in the long run.

One of the themes I've noticed is not only growing the Starling City population and rogues gallery, but also creating a team for Ollie to work with. Diggle, Felicity, Lance, to a certain extent Laurel...Roy is another piece in that. Now, they can also be setting Ollie up for a fall of some kind, a betrayal.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I too enjoyed last night's episode. I expected Oliver to reveal himself to Roy, but I didn't expect it to happen when it did. I figured it would occur a little earlier when their conflict had really intensified. At that point I was telling my son that if he were to reveal himself, the conflict would be resolved, which it was later as a result of the revelation to Roy.

While seeing what has happened to Laurel recently, I couldn't help but think that it's almost as if she and Thea have switched places somewhat this season. Thea has matured significantly this year and seems to have her life under control at this point.

Sam,

I totally agree with you regarding Lotz. In my opinion she's an excellent Sarah and hopefully she will be in the series for a long time. I like her in the present and on the island. Last night she showed some of her soon-to-be Black Canary moves on the island which was fun.

" ... but I can only imagine Roy's relationship with Thea is playing into Ollie's decision-making a little bit."

Jason,Your imagination is accurate. :)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I just couldn't get past the idea that anybody would think it's a good idea to pick a co-conspirator in a plot that destroyed half the city to be a mayoral candidate.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I realize this is the season two thread, but I just wanted to say that after last night's first-run episode, I concluded watching season one. I finally got to see the 'event' that had been talked about for much of that season. The effects got me to wondering whether this is an expensive show to make. My impression is that it is not inexpensive!

Getting back to last night's episode, I almost fell out of my chair after hearing Thea's response when she is informed that her mother is running for mayor. "Of what?" Oh my. I had to stop the show so I wouldn't miss anything while I was laughing.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Ockeghem said:
I too enjoyed last night's episode. I expected Oliver to reveal himself to Roy, but I didn't expect it to happen when it did. I figured it would occur a little earlier when their conflict had really intensified. At that point I was telling my son that if he were to reveal himself, the conflict would be resolved, which it was later as a result of the revelation to Roy.
The info blurb for Arrow in our cable guide - "Arrow offers to train Roy, but Roy refuses unless Arrow reveals his true identity." That definitely made me think it was going to happen differently.

I was quite surprised about the mayor bid. It seems a little bit soon for her to be a candidate.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Neil,

Wow. That information blurb gives the impression that Roy knew something from the outset that he didn't know. Speaking of those blurbs, I try hard not to read the information on my guide, but sometimes it's too tempting. I succumb to this for Reign frequently and then wish I hadn't.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
There was a moment early on, when Arrow is training Roy, and you can see Ollie's beard where I just said,"Oh come on. How does Roy not know already?" Granted, the lighting was dark and the voice is manipulated, but seriously. In the long run, I'm okay with it...I'm just waiting for the final reveal to Moira, Thea, Laural, etc. They're all going to need group therapy after having the wool pulled over their eyes for so long.

I also really liked Dig, at the end, saying he thought this was supposed to be a secret. It was something the audience is undoubtedly thinking every time Arrow's identity to revealed to someone else. The Arrow wiki says Roy is the 15th person to discover who Ollie is. That's a lot of people!

Ya know what I really liked about this episode? It had it's action subplot, but the new earthquake machine felt like something they just threw in to fill the action quotient. This episode was really all about our regulars and their relationships: Ollie and Roy, Moira and Thea (and Walter!), Laurel and Quentin. Dig and Felicity were kinda left in the cold, but they did what the script asked them to do without a problem.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Felicity and "Team Arrow" -- gotta love it. I think that she's my favorite character from the series thus far.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
The opening scene struck me as a bit off - I guess Nyssa was lucky that she had a direct flight to Starling City as she sure couldn't have made a connecting one from anywhere in the US. This leaves me to wonder how she was going to get back. She'd be flagged again and wouldn't be able to get on a plane. She has to know this, so if she had a backup plan why didn't she use that in the first place to get to Starling City? Then, why wasn't there some follow up after all the commotion at customs?

The opening scene was just to have some action when doing something subtle would have made a lot more sense.

Now we know that Malcolm Merlyn was released from the League. I'm glad they settled that.

I didn't think I could care less for Laurel, but after this episode I do. I have absolutely no sympathy for her at all.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I haven't cared about Laurel for the entire run of the show, but have I REALLY not been paying attention to the actress or has she gotten alarmingly thin? She looked nearly anorexic in tonight's episode with unnaturally appearing thin limbs and a jawline that was sharp enough to cut paper.

I was so proud of Felicity for telling the truth instead of holding yet more secrets from Oliver.

ponset

Screenwriter
Real Name
scott
Glad Sara didn't die. Hope she is Black Canry for the entire run of the show.

Some nice action tonight and a Huge kissing scene. ;)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Great episode last night, although I can't imagine we've seen the last of Nyssa. Glad Sara didn't die, particularly since Caity Lotz adds so much to the show. Not sure what to do with Laurel. She's kind of superfluous now, isn't she?

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
NeilO said:
The opening scene was just to have some action when doing something subtle would have made a lot more sense.
I agree with this, but I think the real reason for the scene was to immediately establish Nyssa as a physical threat.It's worth noting that she didn't pop up on the terrorist watch list, she popped up on Amanda Waller's A.R.G.U.S. watch list. It's probable that Nyssa didn't know she'd been flagged until that moment.I think it's safe to say she took alternate transportation on the ride home.
Matt Hough said:
I was so proud of Felicity for telling the truth instead of holding yet more secrets from Oliver.
I loved that moment, especially since you could tell Felicity believed Moira's manipulation. I'm not an Oliver/Felicity shipper, but I do appreciate their friendship and I really liked that she's the kind of person who would do the right thing even though she believed it would cost her personally.
Sam Favate said:
Glad Sara didn't die, particularly since Caity Lotz adds so much to the show.
I agree 100 percent. She's terrific in the role, and I like having another female presence in the Arrowcave. The only downside is that having another expert fighter in the mix potentially lessens Diggle's role on the team.
Not sure what to do with Laurel. She's kind of superfluous now, isn't she?
I've never been a huge fan of the character or Katie Cassidy's performance, but I have to believe her downward spiral is toward some end. This show really is about the Queen and Lance families, much like a soap opera has families it revolves around.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The "Flash" spinoff pilot has assembled its cast:Grant Gustin as Barry Allen / The FlashJesse L. Martin as Detective West, Barry's foster parentCandice Patton as Iris West, Detective West's daughter/Barry's love interestRick Cosnett as Eddie Thawne, a Central City police officer with a dark secretDanielle Panabaker as Caitlin Snow, a S.T.A.R. labs bioengineerCarlos Valdes as Cisco Ramonand Tom Cavanagh as Harrison Wells, the CEO of S.T.A.R. labs.John Wesley Shipp, star of the 1990 "Flash" series, has been cast in a top-secret role, rumored to be Jay Garrick. He'll be credited as a special guest star in the pilot, but will recur on the show if it's ordered to series.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
The Clock King episode worked quite well. It appears that Laurel might have hit her lowest point with Oliver saying "he doesn't care" about her anymore. It looks like she might be on the way back up with her reconciling a bit with Sarah and going to an AA-type meeting.

The scene at the end makes it look like the next episode will really be a doozy of an episode.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I was pretty disappointed that Robert Knepper wasn't given more to do in this episode. Given that he was merely wounded I guess there is some hope that he may return and hopefully be better utilized. Felicity and the 'aspirin' joke was probably the most fun to be had in an episode with a lot of melodrama. Liked the reveal of basis for the relationship between Sara and Sin. Looking forward to the fireworks next week between Oliver and Slade.

- Walter.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Glad to have this one back. And always nice to see Robert Knepper grace my TV screen.

Can't imagine what would possess Oliver to believe that going to the Lance family dinner was anything other than a colossally bad idea. On the plus side, it seems to have driven Laurel to her rock bottom moment. And he just said the things the audience has been thinking all season.

A real doozy of an ending with the reveal of Slade Wilson in the Queen parlor. The game, as they say, is afoot.

I wonder which secret Thea will learn first: that Malcolm Merlyn is her father, or that Oliver is the man behind the mask. I really hope they don't kill her off, because giving a superhero a sibling is one of the more interesting innovations of this series.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks