What's new

Arrow releasing Ronin on Blu-ray 08-15-17 (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
  • Brand new 4K restoration of the film from the original camera negative produced by Arrow Video exclusively for this release, supervised and approved by director of photography Robert Fraisse
  • High Definition Blu-ray (1080p)
  • Original English 5.1 audio
  • Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
  • Audio commentary by director John Frankenheimer
  • Brand new video interview with director of photography Robert Fraisse
  • Paul Joyce documentary on Robert De Niro
  • Ronin: Filming in the Fast Lane, an archival behind-the-scenes featurette
  • Through the Lens, an archival interview with Robert Fraisse
  • The Driving of Ronin, an archival featurette on the film s legendary car stunts
  • Natascha McElhone: An Actor s Process, an archival interview with the actress
  • Composing the Ronin Score, an archival interview with composer Elia Cmiral
  • In the Ronin Cutting Room, an archival interview with editor Tony Gibbs
  • Venice Film Festival interviews with Robert De Niro, Jean Reno and Natascha McElhone
  • Alternate ending
  • Theatrical trailer
  • Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork
  • FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Collector s booklet illustrated by Chris Malbon, featuring new writing on the film by critic Travis Crawford

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I avoided the original Blu-ray disc because, supposedly, it wasn't much of an upgrade from the excellent DVD. If this is a new transfer from a 4K restoration, I'll be interested.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
  • Brand new 4K restoration of the film from the original camera negative produced by Arrow Video exclusively for this release, supervised and approved by director of photography Robert Fraisse
  • High Definition Blu-ray (1080p)
  • Original English 5.1 audio
  • Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
  • Audio commentary by director John Frankenheimer
  • Brand new video interview with director of photography Robert Fraisse
  • Paul Joyce documentary on Robert De Niro
  • Ronin: Filming in the Fast Lane, an archival behind-the-scenes featurette
  • Through the Lens, an archival interview with Robert Fraisse
  • The Driving of Ronin, an archival featurette on the film s legendary car stunts
  • Natascha McElhone: An Actor s Process, an archival interview with the actress
  • Composing the Ronin Score, an archival interview with composer Elia Cmiral
  • In the Ronin Cutting Room, an archival interview with editor Tony Gibbs
  • Venice Film Festival interviews with Robert De Niro, Jean Reno and Natascha McElhone
  • Alternate ending
  • Theatrical trailer
  • Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork
  • FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Collector s booklet illustrated by Chris Malbon, featuring new writing on the film by critic Travis Crawford
It's available for pre-order on Amazon. Any way to make an HTF link on your first post?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Great movie. Is it Region A?
I took a chance and bought the UK release from Arrow as it was about $6.00 cheaper. Anyhow, it looks much better than the previous Blu-ray and it plays on Region "A" players too with the same Bonus Material as the US release.

Last edited:

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Finally getting around to watching this Arrow BD. I never saw the original BD but this one looks and sounds quite good. One thing I noticed, they have subtitles for some (but not all) French signs in English. An odd choice.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I suppose that Arrow doesn't release 4K discs yet?

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey guys, I just found this thread through a search. I love this film too. I have the original DVD and the MGM blu ray. I did think the DVD was very good, but felt the MGM blu ray was an upgrade. I like the film a lot so I didn’t mind getting it.

So I just discovered the Arrow release and it just arrived at my doorstep from Amazon. I just grabbed it without knowing too much about the Arrow release before it goes out of print. ( I didn’t want to have to pay extra for an out of print title on eBay like I’ve done recently for a few titles) I see it has lots of extras. But what is Arrow’s mission here, are they like a Criterion or a label like Flicker Films? I think this is a first Arrow title for me.

I’ll look forward to co paring it to the MGM disc. Though if it’s a 4K scan, it must have benefitted the new release.

I agree with Robert Harris, this is one of Frankenheimer’s better quality efforts.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
But what is Arrow’s mission here, are they like a Criterion or a label like Flicker Films? I think this is a first Arrow title for me.

99% of Arrow's output is of no interest to me as they concentrate on schlock horror sleaze films, but occasionally they break out into mainstream movies. The quality of their discs that I've bought is exemplary. The Apartment is another disc where they have substantially improved on an earlier Blu-ray iteration and I'm also very pleased with their Day Of The Jackal Blu-ray disc.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Arrow is a step below Criterion and probably Eureka, but a better version of Shout and Kino. A number of their releases in UK are under one of those 3 labels in the US and quite often superior presentations and as good extras as Criterion and most of the time better than Kino/Shout/

The catalog is a curious mix or Shout/Scream Factory -- horror, giallo -- mainly under their Arrow Video label
and a more mainstream film base mainly located in the Arrow Academy films though there is some odd mixing of titles there as
well

The Long Goodbye
Long Good Friday
Mona Lisa
Ronin
Day of the JackaL
The Apartment
Marx Brothers
Most of the main Woody Allen

Recently some more popular titles
Weird Science
Sixteen Candles
Fish Called Wanda
12 Monkeys
Waterworld

I love their western with a lot of Frances Nero titles

A ton of Noir titles as well
So Dark the Night
The Big Clock

Quite a lot of Japanese tittles Kore-eda,, Suzuki
A fair number of Criterion-type art films from Europe
About 1/3 of their titles are dual release in the US, but over half their catalog is REgion B locked.
Many fo the dual items are often much cheaper at ArrowUK sales ($9-12) for the identical items

I think it's well worth looking at the catalog to see what is of interest outside the Horror side and especially if
you're Region Free.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Robin! Interesting about what Arrow is about.

Day of the Jackal is a title I had on my list of titles to acquire. Thanks for reminding me.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks David as well, I just posted above at the same time as you posted.

Thanks for your insights. I will go check out Arrow’s catalog.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Nelson,

Here are the Arrow releases that are a part of my library:

The Apartment
The Bird With the Crystal Plumage
The Black Cat
The Cat O' Nine Tails
Deep Red
Django: Prepare a Coffin
Donnie Darko
A Fish Called Wanda
Keoma
Ronin

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation690
Recent bookmarks