Arrgh...DVD loose and scratched.

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Michael Flynn, Jan 11, 2004.

1. Michael Flynn

Michael Flynn Stunt Coordinator

I just bought Lethal Weapon 3: Director's Cut new yesterday at Circuit City. When I opened it, it was loose in the snapper, and even worse, it was scratched! I've considered buying a SkipDoctor to correct it, but unless you have a different opinion, I'll be willing to hear it.

2. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

Why not simply take it back for a replacement?

3. Chris_Morris

Chris_Morris Screenwriter

1.Take it back to CC and exchange it.
    2.Always shake the movies to listen for loose discs before purchasing (though that doesn't always work with some types of packaging, and doesn't help with missing/wrong discs).

Chris

4. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Like Jon said, just exchange it. Why even post about it?

5. Kai Zas

Kai Zas Second Unit

The man needs some comforting from people who understand. My guess is he got all wound up, but nobody at home REALLY understood what he was going through [​IMG]

6. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

Oh, OK. [​IMG]

7. MartinTeller

MartinTeller Screenwriter

Take it back and get a decent movie.

8. Kai Zas

Kai Zas Second Unit

My guess is that he does consider it a decent movie. (And I think he's not the only one.)

9. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

yeah, i don't understand the big problem.

over the summer i (finally) got La Belle Noiseuse from the UK and disc one of the two disc set was loose and scratched/scuffed up substantially.
    That was frustrating.
    it would have cost me too much money and aggrevation to send it back for a replacement, and then there is no guarantee i wouldn't just get another loose disc with the replacement.

thats the second international order i've had this happen with.
    a B&M down the street is a piece of cake.

10. Michael Flynn

Michael Flynn Stunt Coordinator

LW3 is a ***/**** movie IMO.

Anyways, in the end, I got my money back and ordered it off of DDD along with the DTS Jaws. And I do like my share of bad action movies [​IMG].

11. Stacey_B

Stacey_B Second Unit

I actually just got a DVD through the mail that was loose but I know the site makes you pay for the shipping to send it back so I just put it back in the case and prayed for the best when I go to watch it. [​IMG]
    Stacey

12. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    You ruined my illusion...the main reason I never complain about snappers is I've never had a disc come loose in them. I thought they were pretty reliable for this, and the fact that the discs are also easy to take out made it a bit of a mystery to me, what with all the horrible versions of keepcase hubs out there.

When I buy a disc in person I do shake them (keepcases), but I buy most discs by mail these days, and I have got the odd loose one. I notify the company before I open the disc case, and get their authorisation to open/check the disc in writing, JIC and to prevent return hassles. Return shipping can be expensive (in Canada at least, more than eating up any mail-order savings often), so I just put "return to sender" on the *carefully opened* original package. That seems to work so far, at least they get their discs back and it doesn't cost me. Amazon has the best policy for returns, no hassle at all, but you pay more for that peace of mind.

13. Brian McHale

Brian McHale Supporting Actor

Brian McHale
    I once had a disc show up loose in a snapper. It was all scratched to hell, but that was the fullscreen side so who cares?[​IMG]

14. Kai Zas

Kai Zas Second Unit

I buy most of my DVDs in Canada, at Dv-Depot. They have three levels of disc protection:

1. Open, inspect most titles, wrap in paper towel, some boxsets left sealed. This is FREE!
    2. Open, inspect ALL titles, protected in cardboard sleeve. This costs about $0.12 per disc.
    3. Leave al boxes sealed. Ofcourse, this is free, but returns for scratches are not allowed.

I've bought for thousands of euros from these people and never had to return a single disc.