What's new

Arrgh! A new DVD attacked my player! (1 Viewer)

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Last night, for the first time ever, I threw in the seventh disc of the "24" Season 2 box set. This is the disc with most of the supplements. A disc read error message showed up on my Sony DVD/SACD player. I ejected the disc to find a glob of glue stuck to the playing surface that I had not noticed before placing it in the player. I was able to remove the glob and use a mild solvent to remove the adhesive residue from the playing surface.

The good news: the disc has no problems now.
The bad news: The DVD player I originally placed it in no longer plays anything. Apparently the glue has mucked up something in the player.

My point is twofold:

(1) Always take a glance at the playing surface before dropping a disc in your player, even if it is new.
(2) Any suggestions about what I should do next? Complain to Fox Home Video?

Regards,

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
:eek:

I would definitely complain to Fox Home Video. See what happens.

I'm no expert and I'm sure others here...especially over in Hardware...will have better advice, but I would think you probably just coated the laser lens with that goop. You might try a standard commercial cleaner first.

Do the discs even try to spin up? If they do, I would betcha you just gotta get that thing cleaned up.

Thanks for the warning. I buy an awful lot of previously viewed discs....so I'm careful with them. But, I don't think I look twice at my new discs. Good advice.

RyanAn

Screenwriter
I would call them or at least write a letter. How long have you had the player? Sorry for your loss...

Ryan

CRyan

Screenwriter
A cleaner disc is not going to cut it. Simply open the thing up and clean the laser assembly. Make sure the spindle is balanced etc. This will do the trick. Even if it is under warranty, this is what you should do as the warranty will not cover it. However, your warranty will probably be void for anything further.

C. Ryan

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
That happened to me on an imported new Tex Avery box set, my first import, I nearly had a heart attack but the glue comes off the disc easy enough, I guess but why is it there? It seemed to be on two of the discs.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
That's exactly what I did last night. The player is about 3 years old, so warranty wasn't an issue. I used a cotton swab and gently touched the lens. Sure enough, when I pulled it away, a little goop came up with it. I then took another swab with a drop of solvent and dabbed it on the lens. After a minute or two, I wiped it off gently with another swab and then hit it with some compressed air. It's working good as new, now.

Regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks