1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Arranging Internet Explorer favorites in alphabetical order?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Thane, Jul 8, 2002.

1. Thane

Thane Stunt Coordinator

I'm using Internet Explorer vers. 6 and am wondering if there's any easy way to arrange the favorites bookmarks in alphabetical order. Seems like one time quite a while ago I clicked something & they all went into alpha order. But I wasn't sure what I had done! Can't find anything in the help topics for IE, and I have a lot of bookmarks so don't want to have to drag each one individually. Thanks in advance!

2. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Click on Favorites, hold the pointer over the list, right-click and select 'Sort By Name'.

3. Thane

Thane Stunt Coordinator

Sounded easy, Rob, but I can't get it to work! When I right click over the list, it chooses the bookmark that is closest and gives the options for that individual bookmark (delete, open, properties, etc), but doesn't give a sort by option. I've right clicked just about everywhere on the list! I know it's got to be possible though!

4. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Thane,

When I right click over an individual link in the main pulldown- I also get the options for that particular bookmark- but right above PROPERTIES at the bottom is SORT BY NAME (it's the second option from the bottom).

It should be there if you're running ie 6 (I have 6.0.2600.000).

-Vince

5. Chris Rosene

Chris Rosene Second Unit

Works for me. Thanks!

6. Thane

Thane Stunt Coordinator

How very strange! I too have version 6.0.2600.0000 and there is no sort option! Right above properties I have the rename & delete options! I'm using XP...would that make a difference??

7. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

Strange. I use IE6 in XP, and I have the sort.

Try this-
    Open My computer, then C:, then Documents and Settings, then your login name folder, then Favorites. Once the folder is open, right click, and Arrange by Name. You can open each of your subfolders in Favorites, and do the same.

Todd

8. Thane

Thane Stunt Coordinator

I tried your suggestion, Todd. They're in alphabetical order in the favorites folder, but still not in alpha order when I'm in Internet Explorer. I don't understand this at all...specifically why I don't have the sort option!

9. Pete_S

Pete_S Stunt Coordinator

Thane, sorry if you've already tried this, but it seems like Internet Explorer is pretty picky on where you can actually sort, so I thought I'd double-check.
    The only place you can perform the 'Sort By Name' action is by clicking the Favorites button up on the, uh, toolbar where File, Edit, View, etc. buttons are. Just click that button, right-click a folder or favorite, and you should get the Sort By Name option. You can't sort if you're in the Organize Favorites... window (which makes no sense whatsoever, but go figure), and you can't sort if via the right window pane thing.
    Hope this helps.

10. Thane

Thane Stunt Coordinator

Ah Pete! Thanks so much...struck gold with your suggestion! I have been in the left-pane list of favorites. Man...it IS picky!! Thanks again![​IMG]