What's new

Around the World in 80 Days (2021) (1 Viewer)

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
614e3aaa4e342.jpg

Let the race against the clock begin! Phileas Fogg (David Tennant), Abigail Fix (Leonie Benesch), and Jean Passepartout (Ibrahim Koma) are setting out on the adventure of a lifetime, starting on Sunday, January 2, 2022

IMDb

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
I watched the first two episodes last night . I can now understand as to why it has received so many scathing reviews. Without giving away any spoilers, don't expect it to follow the Jules Verne book nor the classic Mike Todd movie..Only a shade of the original film's story is in the first 2 episodes. It is not a complete loss but watchable ,thanks to the great cast. It is rare that the BBC stuffs up in their television shows but ATWI8D is a new low for them . This is the third tv series based on Verne's 80 Days novel ( 4th if you include the animated series) and the worst of them all . Truly the most disappointing tv series from the great BBC that I have seen this year. Why they deviated from the original story ,is a puzzlement.

Bernard McNair

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bernard McNair
I believe this version was not made by the BBC but a German production company and picked up for release by the BBC.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
I watched episodes 3 to 5 tonight.There is absolutely zero relation in these 3 episodes, to Verne's novel.The worst thing is that there will be a second series.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
I finished watching all 8 episodes in the series. Very little relating to Verne's novel. What on earth will the forthcoming series two comprise? Maybe another remake but sticking to the original Jules Verne novel?

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
PBS has broadcast the second episode this week. We've been enjoying it so far. I have not read the book, but I did watch the David Niven movie ages ago.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
Only the second episode seen in the USA so far? The entire series has been seen elsewhere. Truly the most hated series seen last year if you believe what people thought of it on www.imdb,com site..Almost completely different to Verne's novel and all other versions incl the classic film.. A second series has already been planned. Pointless after seeing this version unless it is a tax write-off.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Only the second episode seen in the USA so far? The entire series has been seen elsewhere. Truly the most hated series seen last year if you believe what people thought of it on www.imdb,com site..Almost completely different to Verne's novel and all other versions incl the classic film.. A second series has already been planned. Pointless after seeing this version unless it is a tax write-off.
I understand you don’t like it and perhaps others, but it will be ok for some of us to like it, I hope. Give it a rest. I’ve only read (or tried to read) one Verne novel, Mysterious Island. After over a 100 pages learning how to survive stranded on an island, I ran out of patience. I will not care that the series does not adhere to the novel.

Clearly, some people liked it, if a second season is being made.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
I understand you don’t like it and perhaps others, but it will be ok for some of us to like it, I hope. Give it a rest. I’ve only read (or tried to read) one Verne novel, Mysterious Island. After over a 100 pages learning how to survive stranded on an island, I ran out of patience. I will not care that the series does not adhere to the novel.

Clearly, some people liked it, if a second season is being made.
The second season was confirmed several months BEFORE the first season was even released. If you watch the final episode you will get a hint of what is coming in season two. Whatever it will be, it certainly won't be based on Verne's famous novel. That is an impossibility. I suspect that it will be a sequel (which Verne never wrote) and will be probably be written by the same team that stuffed up this latest tv series.. Their view was to toss out almost all of Verne's novel and write their own story. It remains to be seen if season two ever gets made, judging by the reception that the first season received in Europe..

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
My wife and I have watched the first two episodes. We have the third on DVR, but haven't gotten to it yet.

It's engaging and entertaining. No, it's not the Verne novel, but does it really have to be? Yes, I understand the frustration of not getting a faithful adaptation, but I try (even if I don't always succeed) to assess this kind of thing based on what it is rather than what it isn't.

When it comes to fidelity to source, I always keep this in mind: Blade Runner is wanting as an adaptation of Philip Dick's Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? Still, I would not want to live in a world that did not have Blade Runner in it.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
My wife and I have watched the first two episodes. We have the third on DVR, but haven't gotten to it yet.

It's engaging and entertaining. No, it's not the Verne novel, but does it really have to be? Yes, I understand the frustration of not getting a faithful adaptation, but I try (even if I don't always succeed) to assess this kind of thing based on what it is rather than what it isn't.

When it comes to fidelity to source, I always keep this in mind: Blade Runner is wanting as an adaptation of Philip Dick's Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? Still, I would not want to live in a world that did not have Blade Runner in it.
'it's not based on the Verne novel,but does it really have to be?' YES IT DOES have to be based on the novel. otherwise then change the title and remove Verne's name from the series.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
It is based on the novel, but it is not the Verne novel plot point by plot point. It is using the general outline of the plot and making changes for a more modern audience.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
'it's not based on the Verne novel,but does it really have to be?' YES IT DOES have to be based on the novel. otherwise then change the title and remove Verne's name from the series.
Really? Show me the law that requires this. Your indignant rage is not sufficient. You’ve made your point, the horse was beaten to death long ago. Get over it.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
It is based on the novel, but it is not the Verne novel plot point by plot point. It is using the general outline of the plot and making changes for a more modern audience.
Disagree with you. The series is Not based on Verne's book. Not even slightly true that it used the general outline of the plot as you state. If you have seen the final episode (as I have) there is a hint of what the next series will be about. As I mentioned before ,Verne NEVER wrote a sequel.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
The basic storyline -- Phileas Fogg and Passepartout traveling around the Earth in eighty days as part of a £20,000 wager Fogg makes with someone at his club -- is straight out of Verne's novel. Which puts lie to your assertion about it not being "even slightly true that it used the general outline of the plot".

The point that you seem to be missing, is that adaptations of books into movies or TV shows are rarely word-by-word faithful to their sources. That Verne never wrote a sequel, even though the producers of this series are planning a follow-up, is irrelevant. As to your suggestion "otherwise then change the title and remove Verne's name from the series", that would no doubt lead to a deluge of complaints that it was "an idea stolen from Jules Verne".

Complaining that this isn't completely faithful to Verne's novel, and is therefore terrible, is like trying to argue the same of the many delightful films based on his work that also take liberties with the stories, such as 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (1954), From the Earth to the Moon (1958), Journey to the Center of the Earth (1959) and The Mysterious Island (1961).

I don't know. Maybe you're confusing this with the awful film version with Steve Coogan and Jackie Chan. Now, that was an insult to Verne.

Anyway, that said, we just saw episode 4 the other night, and it was the best episode so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks