Around The World In 80 Days (1956)

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
Preparing it for Blu-ray wouldn't be cheap and the 65mm elements probably do not need immediate attention so with the fee that TT is paying a release of Dr. Dolittle would not make much sense as Fox would get less money than they have to spend on Dolittle with the TT licensing model.
"Dr. Dolittle" looked GORGEOUS on DVD, to my eyes. Can only imagine how a properly done Blu would look.
Being a family-type film and a well-recognized "brand", I'm willing to bet FOX will be looking to resurrect the franchise at some point in the near future, and if so, they would probably reissue the 1967 film (in whatever format) themselves.

Last edited:

OliverK

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
"Dr. Dolittle" looked GORGEOUS on DVD, to my eyes. Can only imagine how a properly done Blu would look.
Being a family-type film and a well-recognized "brand", I'm willing to bet FOX will be looking to resurrect the franchise at some point in the near future, and if so, they would probably reissue the 1967 film (in whatever format) themselves.
Dr. Dolittle looking good on DVD doesn't say much so indeed Fox will have to revisit it at some point. I like the idea of the resurrection of the whole Dr. Dolittle franchise if that enables us to get a high quality Blu-ray of the Harrison version :)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Real Name
Robert Harris
Preparing it for Blu-ray wouldn't be cheap and the 65mm elements probably do not need immediate attention so with the fee that TT is paying a release of Dr. Dolittle would not make much sense as Fox would get less money than they have to spend on Dolittle with the TT licensing model.

But I still think that Can-Can is a more probable release candidate than Dolitte.
CC is a very expensive project. Keep in mind Fox has income from numerous sources world-wide, not limited to domestic home video.

OliverK

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
CC is a very expensive project. Keep in mind Fox has income from numerous sources world-wide, not limited to domestic home video.
I have read about Can-Can being the only Fox Todd-AO title that was in such bad shape that Fox could not produce a good enough print anymore. This is why I was very surprised that Can-Can was part of the big 2013 "vote your choice" Fox poll which is why I assumed that Fox was either having some digital version they could use for a release or that they would be willing to go forward working from whatever they had prepared until then (presumably an 8k scan of the OCN or an IP).

Fox indeed has a very good position with Can-Can as they can use it worldwide for all important channels of distribution. This is not the case with Warner and both Around the World in 80 Days and Raintree County.

OliverK

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
AS for "Around the World In 80 Days (1956)" - this thread's namesake - perhaps a Warner Archive release this year might be a possibilty?
I would be very surprised. All other big releases to my knowledge were known to be coming well in advance and we haven't heard anything about Around the World in 80 Days.

RolandL

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
AS for "Around the World In 80 Days (1956)" - this thread's namesake - perhaps a Warner Archive release this year might be a possibilty?
Around the World in 80 days was on the TCM HD channel earlier this year. It looked a lot better than the DVD so, a Blu-ray may be released.

PMF

Cinematographer
Supporter
Real Name
Philip
I need a short-cut and update through all of the threads and Posts concerning "Around the World in 80 Days".
Is the restoration of the 70mm OCN still in need of monies and fundraising, or is it a case of Red-Tape matters over copyright(s) and licensing agreements?

Last edited:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Real Name
Robert Harris
I need a short-cut and update through all of the threads and Posts concerning "Around the World in 80 Days".
Is the restoration of the 70mm OCN still in need of monies and fundraising, or is it a case of Red-Tape matters over copyright(s) and licensing agreements?
Keeping in mind that 80 was not a Warner production, they inherited extant elements, that may not allow a proper restoration.

If elements are found, the cost could head toward two million dollars, which would then have to be vetted for worthiness.

Personally, I'd save it, as a superb travelogue, but it's major plus, which was identifying actors, seems no longer relevant.

Keep in mind that many people have no idea who Cary Grant, Katharine Hepburn, or Ingrid Bergman were...

Boyer, Cantinflas, Dietrich?

PMF

Cinematographer
Supporter
Real Name
Philip
Keeping in mind that 80 was not a Warner production, they inherited extant elements, that may not allow a proper restoration.

If elements are found, the cost could head toward two million dollars, which would then have to be vetted for worthiness.

Personally, I'd save it, as a superb travelogue, but it's major plus, which was identifying actors, seems no longer relevant.

Keep in mind that many people have no idea who Cary Grant, Katharine Hepburn, or Ingrid Bergman were...

OMG, that's right; we're talking United Artists.
Still, who are the people involved with the actual vetting-for-worthiness talks?

OliverK

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member

It is also a very worthy demonstration of the Todd-AO 30 frames process and it uses the bugeye lens to great effect in some shots - it should be saved for that alone, of course in the 30 fps version.

Reactions: PMF

Josh Steinberg

Film Editor
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
OMG, that's right; we're talking United Artists.
Still, who are the people involved with the actual vetting-for-worthiness talks?
It's under Warner's control now.

I think the problem is this - it's going to cost more to restore than a rerelease could ever hope to recoup. The HD streaming version looks decent enough to me and would look better on a disc, but Warner won't release something on Blu-ray that's not perfect. What they have isn't good enough for their own standard (though another label probably would be fine with it), but the movie won't make enough to justify a complete restoration, so...we get nothing. Another limbo title.

I do understand where Warner is coming from but there are times when, for titles that don't have a huge hope of being restored, I wish they'd just give us the best of whatever they've got currently.

Last edited:

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas

They may not be so relevant or familiar to today's audiences (mostly Millennials and those born after), but those stars were/ are the Jacques Damalas, Joseph Grimaldis, Julie d'Aubignys, Chaplins, Twains etc. (the first 3 actors' careers predate film) of the past century. Today's generation may be largely unfamiliar with them, but TOMORROW's generation/s
will eventually come to know of them... In my book, that's enough reason to make every effort to preserve as much of their work and as much of this part of our culture overall we can.

Reactions: Everett S. and PMF

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Real Name
Robert Harris
They may not be so relevant or familiar to today's audiences (mostly Millennials and those born after), but those stars were/ are the Jacques Damalas, Joseph Grimaldis, Julie d'Aubignys, Chaplins, Twains etc. (the first 3 actors' careers predate film) of the past century. Today's generation may be largely unfamiliar with them, but TOMORROW's generation/s
will eventually come to know of them... In my book, that's enough reason to make every effort to preserve as much of their work and as much of this part of our culture overall we can.
Similar situation with Mad World.

atfree

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex

I think the problem is this - it's going to cost more to restore than a rerelease could ever hope to recoup. The HD streaming version looks decent enough to me and would look better on a disc, but Warner won't release something on Blu-ray that's not perfect. What they have isn't good enough for their own standard (though another label probably would be fine with it), but the movie won't make enough to justify a complete restoration, so...we get nothing. Another limbo title.

I do understand where Warner is coming from but there are times when, for titles that don't have a huge hope of being restored, I wish they'd just give us the best of whatever they've got currently.

Could not agree more!

PMF

Cinematographer
Supporter
Real Name
Philip

I think the problem is this - it's going to cost more to restore than a rerelease could ever hope to recoup.
I am not at all versed within the areas where raised monies for restorations are concerned.
I understand that there may be parties who contribute monies with the hopes of recouping their investments.
But, aren't the film foundations also about raising monies from others who do not seek any financial returns; except for the satisfaction of having been a part of saving a historical film? Aren't these monies known as contributions; like, let's say, monies donated to PBS by viewers who prefer to maintain commercial-free programing?
The list of attributes for restoring the 70mm version of "Around the World in 80 Days" is long; starting, of course, with the 30 fps aspects.
That, in itself, is a rare animal.
Initially, I had feared that "AtWi80D" was rotting away at MGM; being a United Artists title.
In the end, it was the greatest of reliefs to learn that Warner's now controls this important film.

Last edited:
Reactions: OliverK

B-ROLL

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Perhaps the estate of his widow could show some Passion towards "The Love of Her Life" and help to restore his film?

Reactions: PMF

OliverK

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Initially, I had feared that "AtWi80D" was rotting away at MGM; being a United Artists title.
In the end, it was the greatest of reliefs to learn that Warner's now controls this important film.
If it still was with MGM then we would probably have a Blu-ray release of the current HD version by now, warts and all.

With things being as they are now everybody can watch it on Netflix, Amazon or vudu which isn't too bad if at some point we get a proper Blu-ray.

If we don't then Warner should release what they currently have. As I had mentioned before detail levels of the vudu version that I donwloaded are comparable or superior to the Blu-rays of Battle of the Bulge and Mutiny on the Bounty which warner for some reason found to be good enough.
There are of course other issues with the picture qualitys of Around the World in 80 Days but nothing that would justify not releasing it at all if Warner does not have plans to go all the way for a Blu-ray release in the near future.

Last edited:

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
badritbneha