What's new

Around The World In 80 Days (1956) (1 Viewer)

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
MatthewA said:
I remember how happy people were to get any DVD of it at all, especially with all the online talk about the negative's delicate condition.
This is true. Sad to say, the DVD was so much better than any previous release that it seemed great at the time. "Around The World In 80 Days" exists solely to completely knock you out in every conceivable-by-Mike-Todd way. If it doesn't do that, it doesn't have much reason to exist. Based on what I'm seeing here about a new HD transfer, I'm optimistic that Warner Home Video will remedy the current situation.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
For those who do the streaming/digital purchase thing, it's also available in HD via the various services. I think I have the HD copy in my library thanks to the Vudu Disc to Digital upgrade program.

youworkmen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david
lukejosephchung said:
Any BD release with the correct Todd-AO frame rate of 30 fps will by necessity be 1080i, like last year's release of "Oklahoma!"...

BBC2 is a UK channel so it's 25fps- but it still looks great

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
Robert Harris said:
Are you quite certain that this is HD?

Afaik, there is no HD of the 30. Possibly 24, but who wants to see the 24?

This thread is reminding me of other TCM threads such as comments about The Pirate in HD. I'm unaware of any such animal.

I'm receiving it in 1080i and 30fps, does that count? :) Not sure about the source though, but it seems to be HD and not upconverted. Great detail is visible.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
Should we consider the Todd-AO version of this film lost? Or is it to be relegated forever to the vaults?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
trajan said:
Can the TODD-AO elements be restored for a bluray release?
No.

The film requires a ground-up restoration, which has nothing to do with home video. Once 4k data files exist...

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
Watching this again on TCMHD, even though I already have it on the DVR. 2.2:1 and definitely HD - full picture side to side. Looks very good. Just to repeat some of the points in this thread, the 60th Anniversary is next year, and I know the film requires restoration. Is there any restoration presently being undertaken, or plans for one? If not, I would gladly purchase a Blu-ray of the present HD master because it looks outstanding. 24fps version - fine by me. Something for the HT for the 60th anniversary, and I'd gladly buy the restored TODD-AO 30fps version if it is ever restored and released to home video. I know the larger concern is to restore the original elements for protection, but give us a bone for the 60th! :)

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Dr Griffin said:
Watching this again on TCMHD, even though I already have it on the DVR. 2.2:1 and definitely HD - full picture side to side. Looks very good. Just to repeat some of the points in this thread, the 60th Anniversary is next year, and I know the film requires restoration. Is there any restoration presently being undertaken, or plans for one? If not, I would gladly purchase a Blu-ray of the present HD master because it looks outstanding. 24fps version - fine by me. Something for the HT for the 60th anniversary, and I'd gladly buy the restored TODD-AO 30fps version if it is ever restored and released to home video. I know the larger concern is to restore the original elements for protection, but give us a bone for the 60th! :)
Warner will not release what they currently have on Blu-ray as it is not up to their standards.

You can however buy it on Vudu and download it to a PS3 or PS3 slim harddrive where it may look better than on TCMHD. That is probably as close as you can get to legitimately owning a copy at the moment but the price is rather steep iirc.

Same goes for Ryan'S Daughter by the way.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
OliverK said:
Warner will not release what they currently have on Blu-ray as it is not up to their standards.

You can however buy it on Vudu and download it to a PS3 or PS3 slim harddrive where it may look better than on TCMHD. That is probably as close as you can get to legitimately owning a copy at the moment but the price is rather steep iirc.

Same goes for Ryan'S Daughter by the way.

There does seem to be some color fluctuation and maybe some damage here and there, but for the most part it looks great. I'm guessing the 1080p transfer would exacerbate those problems.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
RolandL said:
That would be cool if they could include on a Blu-ray the extras that the Library of Congress has.

Yes, it looks like the LoC is just waiting for the call.

Allansfirebird

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sean
RolandL said:
That would be cool if they could include on a Blu-ray the extras that the Library of Congress has.

I wish I could quell this nagging sinking feeling I've got that a lot of the material is fading or going vinegar...

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
Given that 2016 is the 60th anniversary I would have expected some information by now about a restoration. That there hasn't been makes me rather pessimistic because such a highly regarded film deserves a build-up.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Keith Cobby said:
Given that 2016 is the 60th anniversary I would have expected some information by now about a restoration. That there hasn't been makes me rather pessimistic because such a highly regarded film deserves a build-up.
True, one would hope for a Ben-Hur sized effort. I also think that the movie has aged rather well, but maybe this is just me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks