1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Army of Darkness dvd

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Hall, Aug 22, 2001.

1. Mark Hall

Mark Hall Auditioning

I was wondering of the two Army of Darkness DVDs that are still available and not the limited edition 2 disc set or the limited edition directors cut, what is the difference between them and which is better?

2. Antonio_M

Antonio_M Stunt Coordinator

The Director's Cut has added footage. It's 2.0 Dolby
    The THX version is 5.1 without added footage
    P.S: Which is better? In my opinion, the THX version. Also the transfer is a tad more pristine. [​IMG]
    [Edited last by Antonio_M on August 22, 2001 at 07:40 PM]

3. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

both the 2 Disc Limited Edition and 1 Disc Director's Cut disc are currently out of print, as they were a limited print run... and it doesn't look like they will be coming back in the near future. The theatrical version is still in print and is THX certified... the director's cut was the version that Sam Raimi and Bruce Campbell originally wanted, but it was rejected and is 96 mins compared to the theatrical's 81 minutes.
    ------------------
    Robert Lutter

My DVD Collection
    The DVD Insider Software Reviewer (Coming Soon!)

4. Tom Ryan

Tom Ryan Screenwriter

I'd say the transfer on the theatrical cut of AOD (I believe the good one was done by Anchor Bay?) is much more than a tad more pristine than the DC, unfortunately. The picture quality is downright terrible in some scenes, especially in the restored footage. The commentary, however, is great. This is sort of like the case with the two SOTLs, one presents the film in a superior way with some decent extras of its own, the other doesn't have quite as good looking or sounding a transfer but has the best extras. Buy both [​IMG].
    -Tom

5. Sam Hatch

Sam Hatch Stunt Coordinator

I think Mark was asking about the Universal and Anchor Bay versions of the theatrical cut only.
    I haven't seen the former, but the latter looks and sounds great. I believe it has a behind the scenes documentary, the original ending from the director's cut and maybe a few more extras? I usually watch the DC, so I'm a bit rusty on the theatrical release's features.
    But the Anchor Bay release is definitely the way to go!
    ------------------
    "Negative. I am a meat popsicle."

6. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

The Universal AOD is non anamorphic and bare bones, while the Anchor Bay version is anamorphic and has extras. No brainer here.

7. Ben Tallen

Ben Tallen Agent

Aren't the other deleted scenes from the DC besides the ending on the Anchor Bay DVD? I thought I read that somewhere but perhaps I dreamed it.
    ------------------
    "The Mob is run by murdering, thieving, lying, cheating psychopaths. We work for the President of the United States of America."

8. Blake Solomon

Blake Solomon Auditioning

You are correct Ben. The Limited Edition has the Director's Cut of AOD and ALSO includes 4 deleted scenes that were not used at all!

9. TimSniffin

TimSniffin Stunt Coordinator

Just to clarify:
    Universal AOD--barebones, non-anamorphic. Avoid
    Anchor Bay AOD, theatrical version--THX approved, Dolby Digital 5.1, THX-approved anamorphic, 20-minute documentary, trailer, original ending as full-frame extra. Best Presentation.
    Anchor Bay AOD, director's cut--anamorphic, Dolby Digital 2.0, additional scenes added back in (and they look pretty awful, especially the night scenes in the big finale), four additional deleted scenes with optional commentary, commentary with Sam Raimi and Bruce Campbell (with Ivan Raimi later on), optional storyboard angle, creature concept art. Buy for extras--especially the commentary--but don't expect much from the video or sound.
    Anchor Bay AOD, Limited Edition Tin--contained both the director's cut and theatrical version discs.
    Currently available--Univeral and Anchor Bay, theatrical.
    You may stumble across the director's cut, as well, but its pretty hard to find because Anchor Bay only limited it to a 40,000 run.

10. Ian_H

Ian_H Supporting Actor