What's new

Army of Darkness Directors Cut (bootleg) worse quality than previous release (1 Viewer)

Damien Montanile

Stunt Coordinator
I just bought the AOD Official bootleg DVD hopefully to replace my current copy (1999 release THX mastered) I popped the directors cut in and there are ridiculous amounts of ghosting and the overall quality looks literally WORSE than my original copy. Artifacting and jagged edges are so overabundant it doesnt even come close to outline any features relevant to the film. Currently using a Panny rv56 (to be replaced tomorrow). This isnt even close to being a quality copy... I think this is quite possibly the worst quality DVD Ive ever seen.

-Damien

C

Christina_V

I think you're comparing the wrong versions of the film.
The THX version is the theatrical cut,while the DC on the LE didn't look that good either,but was tolerable(may be worse on HD WS tvs) to at least see this version of the film.
If you go and see the other DC releases,i'm sure they're the same quality.

Damien Montanile

Stunt Coordinator
Im comparing 2 dvds a THX mastered copy that I bought in 99 with the front cover of evil Ash's face after it had been "hit" with the shotgun.. and the bootleg directors cut I just bought. I dont know much about the 50,000 other versions that came out of this disc (or what material they were packaged in):)
All I know is I bought a copy (differentiated with THX mastered BS) sometime last year. The quality wasnt reference but it wasnt that bad (grainy but sharp), it was the theatrical version with a few extras one of which was the original ending.
I bought the Bootleg Directors cut...I cant even watch it..its THAT bad...looks like Its got a white sheet over it. You cant make out any details its WAY soft and you can totally make out artifacting and jagged edges on just about everything, its truly horrible. Worse than VHS (seriously not an exageration to prove a point).
This easily takes the cake as THE worst quality DVD Ive ever bought...
I was wondering if anyone else had these problems with the disk... :)
excuse the rant, It cost me 10 bucks but Im still pissed

Steven K

Supporting Actor
You can't compare the theatrical version with the directors-cut version. 2 Completely different prints were used for each one; of course the bootleg cut is going to look worse than the theatrical one!

Damien Montanile

Stunt Coordinator
ok maybe Im failing to understand the concept of why these things are called Bootleg...I thought it was just a marketing scheme...

the thought process that I was coming from was that its the directors cut, the quality both audio and video, would be superior to all previous copies and as he intended...

Someone care to enlighten me because I have a feeling Im missing something here...

-D

Steven K

Supporting Actor
Sorry for the confusion Damien.

The "directors cut" is most often times an extended version of the movie. When a director "makes" a film, he is often times forced to cut scenes for various reasons; time considerations, rating considerations, etc...

The "directors cut" of a film is usually the version that the director originally intended the viewer to see, with scenes and such that were removed from the theatrical version. The Army of Darkness "Bootleg Cut" is an extended version of the theatrical version, and was actually created from a different print than the theatrical version.

Hope this clears things up a bit...

Damien Montanile

Stunt Coordinator
yeah I was well familiar with what directors cuts were (though you did a fine job explaining it for people who might not have known :) ) Its the bootleg concept that confused me a bit...but I think I get it...and when I wanna watch the movie Im reaching for my old copy...when I want extras Ill reach for the new copy... :)
-Damien

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
The Director's Cut (aka Bootleg Edition) is a mix of different source materials. Since some source materials (the extra footage) was much worse than the theatrical footage, Anchor Bay decided to make the theatrical footage decline in video quality for this release so there isn't gigantic gaps where the video quality goes from great to total shit.

Also, I can't complain as I think the director's cut is much better than the theatrical cut (it goes into more detail). Also, I got it for $12 back in early 2000 (when the second disc of the LE was release seperatly and titled "Army of Darkness: Limited Edition Director's Cut" and not the bootleg cut).

C

Christina_V

As for calling this edition the offical bootleg edition.
Is......1 a marketing ploy since they released it 2 times before,one in the LE edition,then seperately as the LE director's cut.
2....tongue in cheek humor,since the quality isn't great & like a bootleg + this version(& other cuts of films) where only avalible in bootleg form for long periods of time & are only now getting legit releases(in the US anyway).
& before you ask if you should buy the LE?...don't bother wasting your'e cash......the THX theatrical discs + all DC's dvds have the same extras as the LE.

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
Its called an OFFICIAL Bootleg Edition. Before the DVDs were released of the director's cut, fans sold bootlegs of this cut at conventions, back alleys, car trunks, and other odd places. This is why the Official Bootleg Edition sports CD cover art that looks like a CD-R and the outside packaging is similar to a paper bag. There is even a little note on the inside from Bruce Campbell.
This director's cut has been made available twice previously. The first time in a double Alpha casing with the Universal Pictures cut. The second time in a gold Alpha casing with new artwork on the outside and on the disc. Both of these releases were limited runs. Due to the demand for this film, the director's cut was finally made available to fans in an unlimited printing. This is the Official Bootleg Edition.
As for how this cut was made...source materials were hard to come by in the U.S., so Anchor Bay had to use Bruce Campbell's beta master tapes of the cut footage. The rest of the footage came from the original print. To prevent the new footage from looking out of place, Anchor Bay chose not to fully restore it. Due to this quality, Anchor Bay could not have it certified through THX. The original masters for the soundmix were also from various sources. All Chace Studios could do was produce a Dolby Surround soundtrack for this cut.
The THX Certified disc is the Universal Pictures cut of the film and is made from a restored print. Chace Studios had the original masters for the soundmix and was able to create a Dolby Digital remaster of the soundtrack.

Users who are viewing this thread