Army of Darkness Bootleg Edition is on the shelves

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Will Donahue, Oct 22, 2001.

1. Will Donahue

Will Donahue Auditioning

I know there's been some confusion as to what was on this disc but I was able to see for myself yesterday when I saw about 20 of them sitting on the store shelf (I won't say which store - just that it's one of the major chains here in Minnesota). From the looks of things it's just a repackage of the Director's Cut. The artwork looks like a brown paper sack, with the titles and even the Anchor Bay logo looking hand-drawn. It has all the goodies as the old edition, and the pic and sound are an animorphic transfer and Dolby Surround 2.0. The back cover even has the same message from Bruce Campbell. The price was $14.99. I saw on DVD Review that a 5.1 edition was supposed to come out November 20th for $39.99... does anybody know if that is indeed ANOTHER edition of the movie???
    ------------------

2. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink

3. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Screenwriter

Absolutely incorrect, Carl. It includes a commentary track and some deleted scenes/alternate openings to the film, and possibly more that I can't recall offhand.
    ------------------
    My DVD list | My personal site

4. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink
    My mistake… It does indeed feature a commentary. But that's it, isn't it?

5. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Screenwriter

No, there's more. I don't have the disc in front of me, but there are also four deleted scenes (w/ optional commentary), storyboards (screen comparison), and conceptual art.
    ------------------
    My DVD list | My personal site

6. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

It features 4 deleted scenes that are not in the director's cut with commentary

7. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    What the F***!! I just bought this dvd the other day, but the one I have has an anamorphic transfer, 5.1 DD, a full frame(AACK!) transfer, original ending, theatrical trailer, a documentary called "The Men Behind the Army" narrarated by Bruce Campbell, and talent bios, but that's it, no commentary!
    Exactly how many versions of this film are their on dvd!?!
    ------------------
    God bless the USA and the men and woman of our military and their families!

8. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink
    My mistake, folks. I was confusing it with AB's Halloween DVD, whose second disc includes only the extended version of the film and nothing else. Sorry for the confusion.
    John, not including this new "bootleg" version, there have been four DVDs released.
    1. Universal's original version. Contains the theatrical cut only.
    2. Anchor Bay's regular version. Contains the theatrical cut only This is the one you have.
    3. Anchor Bay's limited edition. A two-disc set. Disc one is the exact same disc that you already have. Disc two contains the director's cut with commentary.
    4. Anchor Bay's limited edition director's cut. Disc two of the previous LE, released by itself. From what I hear, the "bootleg" version is just this disc in a new box.

9. TimSniffin

TimSniffin Stunt Coordinator

John, you have Anchor Bay's theaterical version. Doesn't have Sam Raimi's original cut of the film, but the picture and sound are much better than the director's (and most likely bootleg) cut disc.

10. Scott_MacD

Scott_MacD Supporting Actor

I can confirm that the "Official Bootleg" version has exactly the same content as the 2nd disc of the 2 disc edition and the Limited Edition Director's Cut.
    Disc art is a laugh.. [​IMG] Looks like a pencilled in DVD-R but instead of saying recordable, it says UnRecordable and "Not really recordable". A godsend for those who didn't want to pay a fortune for the limited edition on eBay or summat.