What's new

Army Of Darkness Boomstick edition (1 Viewer)

Dan Shogren

Stunt Coordinator
I was at borders the other day and noticed yet another version of army of darkness....THE BOOMSTICK EDITION. I want to know if this is any better than the recent, BOOTLEG edition released by ancor bay. (I have neither version but the bootleg edition is cheaper) Your comments about the disc please.....

Mike Graham

Supporting Actor
This is simply a repackaging of the theatrical cut and the director's "bootleg" cut into one set - on two separate discs. Highly recommended, as this is the definitive set for Army of Darkness fans. :emoji_thumbsup:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
It contains the same discs/features as were in the original 2-disc limited edition, later released individually as separate theatrical and bootleg editions, and now paired up once again with a new cover.

Buy on price. If you only want the Bootleg edition, probably that stand-alone disc is cheapest. If you want both the Theatrical and Bootleg editions, pick up the Boomstick version.

Dan Shogren

Stunt Coordinator
How is the transfer? The only version ive seen so far is the very old version released a long time ago. (The transfer had a lot of scratches and was not to good on the version i saw)

Mike Graham

Supporting Actor
The transfer on the theatrical cut is pretty good, while the director's cut is pretty rough (and is only presented in Dolby 2.0, while the theatrical is presented in 5.1).

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Agreed, the director's cut has very variable PQ, from great to coarse, but I don't recall seeing any film damage (scratches, dirt, etc.) on it. You can tell the added-in stuff from the PQ, not as good.

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
If you've already got either of the Theatrical or Bootleg editions...dont bother...its just a repackaging with both discs in the same package...fans like me already have both...but Im thinking I might just go ahead and buy this anyway...for no real reason... :)

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
Ya got that right! the MGM R3 version would be very hard to beat:
Extended edition, all the extras of the AB, and a GREAT transfer to boot!
Note: can be played on any PC/Mac DVD players with or w/o any kind of region patch...if you have to have this disc in a pinch, like I did...

BrunnenMatt

Agent
Have not bought a region 3 DVD yet and want to ask a couple of quick questions.

1.Can you watch the movie with no sub-titles and only the DD5.1 English ?
2. Are the menu in English and special features in English audio (4 deleted scenes, alternate ending & Theatrical trailer)? Or do you have to watch the scenes with subtitles in Hong Kong.
3. R2 (United Kingdom) - Anchor Bay (2 disc) PAL: Disc 1 is the Theatrical Release in DTS-ES/DD5.1 but no DVD Comparison Sites what I found listed the director's cut on disc 2, Is this still the same director's cut as the region 1 AB or the same print as the MGM released and in DD5.1 audio.

Sorry to bring the EVIL DEAD movies up again just want to make sure I get the best print of the director's cut and audio and maybe help a couple of other members at the same time. I know or the region 1 collectors would have rushed on-line to buy this release when there found this out just before the The Boomstick Edition came out. :b And then that only leaves the Evil Dead II to purchase on DVD when a new transfer is re-released.

The cheapest I have seen the region 3 is USD$25 at http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID....qx/details.htm any other cheaper sites?

Thanks for any links, or answers in advance. ...BMatt

Jonny K

Second Unit
Ok, here's a slightly off-topic question. I've never seen Army of Darkness or any Evil Dead movie. I'd like to see Army of Darkness, but should I first watch the Evil Dead movies?

Thanks,

Jonny K. :)

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Jonny,
Maybe just to get yourself acclimated to some of the antics...but plot-wise, it doesn't matter. There is a little "recap" at the beginning of AOD anyway (as well as one at the beginning of ED2).

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
1.Can you watch the movie with no sub-titles and only the DD5.1 English ?

> Its the same as all other MGM International Home Video titles and MGM Home Entertainment releases. Available in the original language with optional subtitles.

2. Are the menu in English and special features in English audio (4 deleted scenes, alternate ending & Theatrical trailer)? Or do you have to watch the scenes with subtitles in Hong Kong.

> The special features are in English with optional subtitles. The menu is in English.

3. R2 (United Kingdom) - Anchor Bay (2 disc) PAL: Disc 1 is the Theatrical Release in DTS-ES/DD5.1 but no DVD Comparison Sites what I found listed the director's cut on disc 2, Is this still the same director's cut as the region 1 AB or the same print as the MGM released and in DD5.1 audio.

>Anchor Bay does not have the rights to the materials used by MGM International Home Video. Otherwise, Anchor Bay would have rectified the video quality with the Boomstick Edition.

BrunnenMatt

Agent
:emoji_thumbsup: Thanks for quick response rutger_s Any body else knows a cheap place to buy the Army of Darkness: MGM Region 3 ...BMatt

Just ordered it for USD$22 including postage, If only it was a THX certified title like the AB disc

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Anchor Bay does not have the rights to the materials used by MGM International Home Video. Otherwise, Anchor Bay would have rectified the video quality with the Boomstick Edition.
Then why does MGM International Home Video have the rights to use supplemental material and commentary tracks that were produced by Anchor Bay USA?

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
Then why does MGM International Home Video have the rights to use supplemental material and commentary tracks that were produced by Anchor Bay USA?
It's very possible that either Renaissance Pictures or DeLaurentis, not Anchor Bay, own the rights to the supplementary material. Anchor Bay didn't even know about MGM's release until the rest of us did when the first reports started coming out.

DJ

Doug Schiller

Supporting Actor
If only it was a THX certified title like the AB disc

If it was, what would you expect to be different, or "better"?
Exactly, THX could teach Superbit a thing or two about marketing gimmicks.
Some of the worst transfers out there are THX approved.

Doug

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
Some of the worst transfers out there are THX approved.
Ahem...

Some great "THX Certified" transfers:

>Star Wars - Episode II: Attack of The Clones
>A Bug's Life
>Lilo and Stitch
>Halloween(1978); original theatrical version
>Fight Club(1999)
>Terminator 2: Judgement Day; The Extreme Edition version

Plus various other titles.

And another thing Superbit is a marketing label not a company.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks