What's new

Army of Darkness AGAIN?!?!? (1 Viewer)

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
If you're counting actual disc content, then there's only been three--the Universal, the AB theatrical, and the AB director's cut/bootleg. The rest is just repackaging, something all companies do with no complaints. Which is why I'm always confused when Anchor Bay gets slammed when they do it...
Because Anchor Bay is the only company who advertises the product as a "limited edition" — going so far as to individually number each unit — only to re-release it not once, not even twice, but now three times down the line. That is misleading at best and I'd call it downright crooked.

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor
Because Anchor Bay is the only company who advertises the product as a "limited edition" — going so far as to individually number each unit
"Limited" doesn't mean "Infinite". It's been out of print for well over 2 years.

Just because some of you had to shell out big bucks for the 2disc set doesn't mean everyone should have to... where there's a demand, there's a supply.

Ryan Spaight

Supporting Actor
At least AB "limited editions" are genuinely limited. Dreamworks has been selling a "limited edition" Saving Private Ryan for three solid years now with no end in sight.

I guess you could get philosophical and posit that a truly "unlimited edition" would occupy all the space in the known universe and wipe out the totality of existence. Though I think only AOL signup discs have come close to this possibility.

Ryan

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor
"If you're counting actual disc content, then there's only been three--the Universal, the AB theatrical, and the AB director's cut/bootleg. The rest is just repackaging, something all companies do with no complaints. Which is why I'm always confused when Anchor Bay gets slammed when they do it..."

Sure they do. Universal got their share of complaints for their Ultimate Editions. Plus, what other movie has seen so many releases.

I'm not against better releases of movies. If they do indeed put the DTS track from R2 in then the new release is justified. However, if it's just a repackaging, then I'm not so sure this is the right move. If it's the same disc content, then there should be no reason for a re-release other than to cash in on more money.

The current situation is fine. Some people have the "Limited" releases that are hard to come by making them true Limited releases. However, if you want both theatrical and director's cut, you can still get them separately.

But like I said, if they do add more stuff, then I won't mind.

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob
I for one will be buying the new release because all I own is some ancient release presented in Crap-o-Vision and with Crap-o-Sound. I don't feel too bad because I bought it used several years ago for 7.99, and can probably sell it on eBay as "rare and collectible" to some ignorant kid for $50.:D

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
The only reason I would buy any new re-re-re-release would be if it included Closed Captioning on both Theatrical & Directors Cut so my girlfriend could finally watch them.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
If both cuts are completely restored and properly framed at 1.66:1 (16x9 enhanced pillar boxed) and then each having a new, kick ass DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 mix then I'm all up for it.

And while they're at it, a fully restored Evil Dead 2 with quality re-mixed DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 would be wonderful.

Both Evil Dead 2 & 3 have many fun scenes that could take full advantage of having sounds bouncing around all over the place in full DTS-ES!

Dan

Anthony Thorne

Supporting Actor
As I said, the more money Anchor Bay, Sam Raimi and Bruce Campbell can make out of this, the better. It'll help pay for some more obscure Anchor Bay reissues in 2003/2004, among other things... As an aside, folks who bought the earlier 2-DVD set still have it, and I can't see how it's become any less watchable or entertaining with the addition of this new package.. Were they planning on holding onto the earlier edition for 10 years and then selling it, or did they just want to wave it in folks faces and say something like "I've got it, you haven't!"? If the former, then you can't really blame Anchor Bay for attempting to make money out of the same product. If the latter, well... those are the breaks, I guess. Finally, this rerelease should reduce the cost of the movie on Ebay, which is a good thing for everyone except some profit-minded scalpers. Good on you Anchor Bay! :D :emoji_thumbsup:

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Damin,
The Army of Darkness: Director's Cut disc uses scenes mastered from a VHS tape cut into the original transfer. I don't think anyone is willing to give Anchor Bay the elements for the International Cut (which was released everywhere else except the US, where it was cut 15 minutes and the ending was changed).

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
The Army of Darkness: Director's Cut disc uses scenes mastered from a VHS tape cut into the original transfer. I don't think anyone is willing to give Anchor Bay the elements for the International Cut (which was released everywhere else except the US, where it was cut 15 minutes and the ending was changed).
I know that, which is why I specifically referred to the framing, not the quality. Dan asked for "properly framed" transfers, but I believe the framing is already proper, anyway.

DJ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks