What's new

Army of Darkness AGAIN?!?!? (1 Viewer)

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
Aw, come on. This is too much.

FROM DVDFILE:

Announced for a March 4th debut is yet another edition of Sam Raimi's Army of Darkness (aka Evil Dead III), the two-disc "Broomstick Edition." Full details have not yet been released, other than that the set will include both the theatrical and extended cuts of the film (both previously available) and collectible packaging. Stay tuned.

We'll have to see whether or not this warrants a re-purchase (for the third time).

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
Methinks AB are gonna include the dts (es?) track that was on the UK AOD set. Another educated guess. :D

Mathias Klemme

Stunt Coordinator
So, is this coming from Anchor Bay, or is it the Special Edition MGM has been working on for quite a while?

-Mathias

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Universal owns the film in the US. MGM has never had anything to do with it

I also believe that Universal is quite glad to have AB funnelling them royalties on it so they don't have to be bothered.

James Reader

Screenwriter
I also believe that Universal is quite glad to have AB funnelling them royalties on it so they don't have to be bothered.
Which begs the question, why aren't Universal licensing out more of their titles? Following the Army of Darkness example, they must have lots of titles released on DVD by themselves as barebones editions which Anchor Bay would be happy to publish.

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
Well, Universal is leasing plenty out to Criterion at the moment - Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Trouble in Paradise and both versions of The Killers in the immediate future. They're also concentrating on their back catalogue (at long last), and are really going to town on a few of their cult items.

I'd have thought that the special editions of Silent Running and Cat People would never have seen the light of day unless Anchor Bay licensed them out, but there they are (well, the former anyway) on my shelf.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
so these films were never available in any format for tons of years.
now it seems there are more versions of the the EVIL DEAD trilogy on dvd then any other movie.

Dwayne

Supporting Actor
Here's are the Evil Dead components of my library:

Evil Dead (Elite Collector's Edition)
Evil Dead (Book Of The Dead)
Evil Dead 2 (SE)
Army Of Darkness (Limited 2-disc)

I think I'm all Evil-ed out. There would have to be a substancial improvement in content and not just some fancy packaging for me to even consider.

Of course, AB knows that there are lots out there who would buy just for repackaging alone and that's why we keep seeing this.

Personally, it's an excellent oppurtunity for those who have yet to own any incarnation of AOD on DVD.

I betcha AB knew what they were doing all along:

Two Disc Limited
Reg Cut
Bootleg Director's Cut (?)
Boomstick Edition

I wonder how many people out there who didn't own the limited set, picked up both the reg and director's cut seperately to own essentially the same thing. I also wonder how many would have done so if they've known about the Boomstick Edition.

Mathias Klemme

Stunt Coordinator
>Universal owns the film in the US. MGM has never had anything to do with it<

Not "quite" right. MGM has aquired the international rights to AOD (though at the time, I´m not sure whether that includes the US). MGM has been working on the Director's Cut (from FILM elements, finally!) and will be releasing AOD in Germany and other European territories some time in 2003.

James Reader

Screenwriter
Not "quite" right. MGM has aquired the international rights to AOD (though at the time, I´m not sure whether that includes the US). MGM has been working on the Director's Cut (from FILM elements, finally!) and will be releasing AOD in Germany and other European territories some time in 2003.
But Anchor Bay UK have just released their 2 disc AOD set in the UK (and probably the rest of Europe) recently.

How were they able to do this if MGM have the rights and want to release their own copy in the near future?

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Unless they add some shockingly new features, I will be content with my original 2 disc LE. I think it will probably just package the current bootleg and theatrical cuts togehter in one package though. It should be a good set for those who have yet to buy AOD or only own the director's or theatrical cut. AB is really milking the AOD cow.

J

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Two Disc Limited
Reg Cut
Bootleg Director's Cut (?)
Boomstick Edition
Don't forget they also released a one disc limited edition of the director's cut in there as well, before putting out the non-limited Bootleg releases of the same contents.

J

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
Hi everybody,

Is it just me or is the picture quality on the currently available Director's Cut pretty horrible? I have the single-disc director's cut from Anchor Bay in the gold keepcase. I don't know the technical term for this particular flaw but maybe it is over-compressed??

If this new SE is restored and represents a substantial improvement then I will be absolutely thrilled.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Being the Evil Dead-whore that I am... if this baby comes with special packaging (or more extra features), I just can't see myself holding back. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks