What's new

Armageddon Criterion Collection DVD (MERGED THREAD) (1 Viewer)

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
I'd stock up on Double alphas, amarays, amarays with the removable 'extra-disc' flippy thingy and others just to be safe when this does happen. It happened to me on several occasions... I know how you feel, me matey.
The Ben Affleck commentary is simply uproarious! The ONLY time I'd have to stop the commentary was because I was laughing louder than said commentary. Whooooo! :D:emoji_thumbsup:

Drew_W

Screenwriter
I routinely swap out worn cases from used DVDs for new ones...and you often need cases if you buy previously viewed from BlockBuster since they give their DVDs out in their crappy BB cases...

But anyways, I just got The Others in as part of a lot of DVDs off eBay...double Alpha case, good condition. Yay! So I can temporarily swap, but I have to find somewhere to get these cases. I can find flippy amarays and regular amarays no prob, but these Double alphas are like trying to find a needle in a haystack.

Drew_W

Screenwriter
Where are the double Alphas? They have to be sold somewhere in Canada too...large packages are majorly held up at Customs by USPS, or you get gouged if sent by courier.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
The legend about the Ben Affleck commentary is that Ben, in conversation with Michael Bay, questioned the verisimilitude of the plot for Armageddon, to the effect of, "Wouldn't it just be easier to train astronauts how to run a drilling rig than to teach drillers to be astronauts?" Bay's response was apparently, "Shut the f__k up, Affleck." Is this actually in the commentary?

RobertM.Fleming

Stunt Coordinator
You may want to try a rental store for cases. Most places use lock up cases, rendering the originals useless to them. lot of time they just end up in the garbage.

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
They're out of stock right now, but InetDVD carries double Alphas here. Shipping is reasonable if you order one or two cases, but it jumps through the roof over that.
I can't imagine a couple of empty DVD cases would get held up by customs.

Matt Czyz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matt Czyz
Well, seeing as how everyone on the Armageddon commentary is recorded separately, it would be kind of hard for Bay to respond to Affleck directly, wouldn't it?

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
I believe reading that Ben Affleck tells the story of his "conversation" with Bay ob the commentary track. So, Bay doesn't actually say "shut the fuck up" on the commentary, but Affleck says something like "Bay said: shut the fuck up, Affleck".

Pat_TL

Stunt Coordinator
Is an upgrade to the Criterion version of Michael Bay's Armageddon worth it? Aside from all the special features the Criterion offers on two discs regarding the elaborate making of this film, which I wouldnt really watch all that much, the Criterion version seems to be running the same Dolby 5.1 mix as on the standard Buena Vista disc that I own....the packaging claims that Bay supervised the transfer on the Criterion version, and that it is cleaned up and definitely different from the Buena Vista release, but is it worth the 40 bucks they're asking for this at Tower Records where I live?

Matt Czyz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matt Czyz
I see this selling for used all the time, usually for no more than $10 (got mine for $8.95). Don't pay $40, that's just ridiculous.

Pat_TL

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, 40 is what it goes for new up here....I dont know if its worth dumping the Buena Vista disc I have now, which has the 5.1 track, in favor of features Im never gonna watch and a "director-approved digital transfer" of the film...

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Is an upgrade to the Criterion version of Michael Bay's Armageddon worth it?
Pat, this is why we ask people to use the search feature. There were almost a dozen threads about this DVD, including yours. Now there's one. Probably everything you would ever want to know about this DVD is contained in the preceding four pages of posts.

M.

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
Did this DVD ever get released in a single width double amaray case? I've seen a few copies and all were in the thick double alpha case, but I've recently picked this set up (cheaply!) on ebay and got it in a double amaray case. If it's a boot, then it's a bloody good one...

It's a pity about the lack of anamorphic enhancement (the thick edge halos don't help either), but this transfer still looks very good, even when zoomed in on my 32" plasma. I'd take that over the dodgy lip-sync on the UK Director's Cut DVD any day.

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
Yes, it had a single wide amaray case release. I saw a few places near me selling the single wide one. Same cover art and all, just a thinner case.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks