What's new

Armageddon 2-Disc SE sound (1 Viewer)

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
OK, quick question time. Does anyone (I know its unlikely) own both the new UK 2-Disc SE of Armageddon and the Criterion edition. I know about the picture being slightly better, but frankly the Criterion's picture is pretty good as it is, and I have the previous anamorphic UK release already. However, that release has got really feeble sound in comparison to the Criterion release, to the point where I'd gladly switch back to laserdisc to achieve that quality. So, my question is: Is the sound on the new release as bad as the previous two UK releases, or do we finally have the proper sound mix?
------------------
"I'm a reasonable man, get off my case" - Thom Yorke

YANG

Screenwriter
For "impressive" audio,the only release that you will look for is the japanese R2 release,which may cost you several times more that the current R1 CRITERION edition.

Roland Wandinger

Stunt Coordinator
I have the previous anamorphic UK release already. However, that release has got really feeble sound in comparison to the Criterion release
I have compared the Crit. Edition with the German R2 version (which has a BBFC rating on it so it must be identical to the UK version) for sound quality and could not detect a big difference between the two. I only compared the scene in the beginning where the shuttle gets destroyed by meteors however.
The Crit. has slightly tighter bass than the R2 but nothing an increase in subwoofer volume wouldn't cure.
Otherwise they seemed to be identical.
Can you recommend a scene where you heard a big difference?

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
I've not dug it out in a while, but I was very much underwhelmed with the sound overall; the opening credits were quite good but afterwards, there didn't seem to be any real oomph there, and I had to overcrank the R2 by about 8-10 dB to get 'normal' sound. The scenes on the asteroid and also the crash in the far east seemed really flat on my system. I didn't notice any problems like this when I heard a friend's Criterion disc however.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks