What's new

"Argy bargy" and the British? (1 Viewer)

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Anybody from England care to tell me if this is some kind of English phrase. I have no idea how to properly spell it but Paul Sherwin, who is a cycling commentator on OLN, uses it a lot and it just cracks me up. It refers to the banging of elbows and arms during bunch sprints at the end of a cycling race... Like "There is a lot of argy bargy going on between the cyclists". I believe Paul Sherwin is British and I'm wondering if this is a British phrase?

Makes me laugh though. :)

Jay

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Yes, it's a British expression, and refers to minor arguments/scrapes between people.

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
This is bizarre. For the past 2 days I've been using this phrase having no clue what it means though I heard it a while back. I've been wondering what it meant and now I open this thread and here it is.

Amazing stuff synchronicity is.

P.S. - Oddly enough I'm also a Baird......

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member

Not quite - it refers rather more to deliberate physical jostling caused by people who are arguing with each other or competing for something.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Sounds very appropriate for a bunch sprint in cycling then! :)

If you ever get a chance, watching Phil and Paul, both of which are British comment on cycling with Bob Roll (a southern, texas kind of American) is really a card. They all got their idiosyncracies and it's really fun to watch.

Paul comes up with these really weird (to an American at least) phrases and stuff. Every other word is "superb"!

Jay

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
Isn't "argy" a not so nice British nickname for someone from Argentina? I remember hearing it during the Falklands War.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member

Yes, though the phrase 'argy bargy' predates this and isn't connected. It's probably short for 'arguing and barging' whilst 'Argy' is of course an abbreviation of 'Argentinian'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks