What's new

Argument Thread--What to Change in Zelda? (1 Viewer)

Rob_Pierce

Second Unit
Roc's feather...If they offered an item like this for special circumstances, I would be fine with a jumping mechanism.
Good call. I would like to see the jump button, too, but the GC controller is already taxed as it is, there is simply no room, this is not even complaining about the pain in the butt that is the "Z" button (much better on N64 controller). Anyway, Roc's feather would solve both of these problems...good thinking.:emoji_thumbsup:

Good idea on the text speed, too.

Here's another: add an inventory switcher like Splinter Cell or Metal Gear. Hitting "Start" every time gets a little old, shuffling through the options by holding in "X, Y, or Z" and moving the joystick to select the item of choice would be much better.

How does everyone feel about voice? I'm glad Zelda doesn't use them. Never has, hopefully never will. I like being able to scroll through the text at my own (kind of) speed. Anyone else?

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
"Come on!"

I'm surprised they included that. How can they say they haven't given Link a voice? I don't mind no voicework, but the cat is sort of out of the bag.

Roc's feather would be okay, with the Roc's cape as an upgrade. But, they need to either keep the deku leaf, or let Link do the deku scrub flower thing somehow. Also, I haven't played it, but some of the items from Four Swords look interesting, ie the gnat's hat or whatever that's called. Also, the magnetic gloves from the GB games would be cool.

Finally, what are the odds the next game will be cel-shaded? It's my understanding the game is well underway. I guess it'll be a testament to their faith in the cel-shade design if they continued down that path in spite of the firestorm about cel-shading. Personally, I'd like to see the Wind Waker Link cel-shaded and about 18-years-old. Not to say I have a problem with his age in TWW--not at all--but I think the older version would work in this style as well. I'm picturing an interactive version of The Black Cauldron.

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
I prefer no jump button. I have never once felt confined or "the need to jump around" in the game.. If I wanted to play a platformer, I'd pop in mario or banjo or jak & daxter.. zelda has never been primarily about jumping. It's part of why I love the series... you are forced to explore the landscape.

I just don't want the kind of zelda game where I'm jumping over fences and hopping like a grasshopper all over hyrule...

As for the difficulty level, I do empathize with those who are breezing through the game. I, on the other hand, am lucky enough to be an average enough gamer that completing a game takes me approximately five times longer than your average HTF gamer - thus i get far more entertainment for my buck. lucky me! :D

I'm very glad someone mentioned the fact that Zelda has no voices. Some of the reviews criticized this - "many adventure games have voice-acting, so why not Zelda? maybe next time!" But I would not want Zelda to have voices... adding in-game voices would be like like hearing your favorite novel read-on-tape by Carrot Top... I'd rather have my imagination do the legwork.

~s (p.s., I found Rayman 3 a pleasant surprise, though not without reservations - but that's another thread)

Adam Nixon

Second Unit
As many others have said, I don't want voiceovers added either. I think it can work for RPGs like FFX or Xenosaga, but I enjoy the ambiguity of the characters.

As for the next Zelda, I got the distinct impression that the Wind Waker engine will NOT be used from a Miyamoto interview on Gamespot. I think his comment was that it wouldn't be "appropriate" for an "older" Link's adventure.

I must admit, I wasn't sold on the cel shading, but I've come to love it for this particular game.

JamesH

Supporting Actor
To all the anti jump button people: I bet you'd all complain if Zelda HAD a jump button and I suggested taking it out.

Sometimes status quo isn't always the best thing. In a game where freedom is one of the main selling points, it's ridiculous that you're not free to jump whenever you like.

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
I personally would prefer having voice acting... if it was done well. Although I must admit that I haven't missed it nearly as much as in Wind Waker, I was aching for it in Ocarina of time. Some people may like to use their "imagination" but to me it just pulls me out of the experience when a text box pops up that I have to read.

To all the anti jump button people: I bet you'd all complain if Zelda HAD a jump button and I suggested taking it out.
Perhaps, but I'm more in the "if it ain't broke..." camp. I'm sure that if it had a jump button and they decided to take it out, I'd be more interested in how they would pull it off, more than complaining about it.

But the point is that I don't think it would really change things much. The game is currently designed knowing that you will be restricted as to where you can and cannot jump. To assume that adding a jump button would free up those restrictions and allow you to do things you couldn't do before is naive.

A fence is put where it is for a reason. If they've made it so that you can't jump on top of it, it's obvious that they've put it there to block you. A jump button is not going to fix that as all they'll do is make the fence a little bigger and still restrict you from jumping on top of, or over it.

While Todd's comments about the auto jump making it a little difficult to fall into a hole (or to jump into the Red Lion King boat) are certainly valid, I'd rather keep the auto jump than to try and squeeze a jump button onto (as Rob pointed out) an already taxed GC controller.

Eric Mitchell

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I just finished the game and here are my arguments with it, in first draft form. I'll try and keep these as SPOILER free as possible, but be warned...

1) To damn easy. I died once from stupidity, and besides the last battle, I never came close other times.

2) I never felt like part of the story. The story told in ths game is great but unlike other zelda's I thought the game related it to me and my character too loosely. There wasn't much of a sense of urgency besides "racing" the pirates back to outset.

3) Goals weren't very well related to me or the world and hints were either missing or too easy. I remember thinking "Why the F--- am I gathering these pearls?" Or, when you need to enter the two later temples, there is a chain of things that need to be done that I would have had a very hard time understanding had I not played other zelda games. (chain is too much of a spoiler)

4) I didn't feel the game/story was finished properly. Everything was so far apart and at times things just didn't make sense. Why are there mini dungeons like the fire and ice ones? Oh wait, they threw out two dungeons because of time and that could be these. Are there more sages that cold have been helped? I loved my three minutes of ice sliding. Why do I all of a sudden have to do the same repetitive thing to dig up the tri-force shards? The maps were in some creative places, but how about putting a shard in a fish dungeon or other mission?

I guess my sentiment is that taken in chunks this game rocked, but as a whole it didn't sit well with me. I'll try and condense my thoughts and write more later.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
I'm getting close to the end of the game now, and agree with a few of the points that have already been brought up. Basically, the game is too easy (Majora felt much harder), and there's something completely un-involving about the story. At this point, I'd say better than a lot of games out there, but definitely not the best Zelda game.

Small Fixes:

What this game really needed was less wandering around between islands. Yes, the whole waterworld thing was an interesting idea, but did there have to be so much empty space? Why not let the warp song take you to any square?

Too many heart pieces-they just weren't fun to get.

On maps like the island hearts map, pieces you've already collected should get crossed off.

The ability to MEMO your map would be extremely helpful.

Get rid of that stupid battleship game-I just don't like minigames that are based entirely on luck.

Big Fix:

The game really needed three more dungeons. I never really understood why you only had to replace two of the sages as opposed to five (the king/Raru being the sixth, and Zelda the 7th). This would have meant three more great co-op puzzle dungeons, and 12 fewer heart pieces to track down. Also would have really made the game longer as opposed to artificially lengthening it with the treasure charts etc.

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
side quest memo. i really hate to feed the fishes over and over again. i wanted it like fallout, where you have notes, and when a sidequest is completed, the note is scratched.

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
Oh, I am sorry. I thought this was abuse.

(sorry for vague Python reference, but I saw the title of this thread and HAD to do it).

Phil

Alex_Santos

Second Unit
I haven't seen this one yet so I figured I'd chime in. Id like to see some sort of combo attack system and also more learnable moves. Its just too easy to keep jamming on b all the time. I liked how I could learn the move from Orca. Something more like that would bee cool.

Users who are viewing this thread