What's new

Arghhhh! HDTV has no 720p support for Xbox! (1 Viewer)

Greg_TSL

Stunt Coordinator
If you are planning on buying an HDTV and using it in conjunction with a gaming system (specifically the Xbox) see if it supports 720p.
I raced out to get Tony Hawk 4 and NBA 2k3 since they were the first 720p games yet released....surprise! no 720p in my TV.
I wouldn't be so bummed, but I think 1080i games are going to be rare since they will seriously munch frame rate.

I've heard lots of people saying they had no idea their HDTV's didn't support 720p until they rented/bought one of these 2 games.....Darn Darn Ding dong Darn!

Ryan Witt

Agent
If the game supports 720P, I think it also supports 480P by default.

At least, that is the case with THPS4 (XBox) & my Mits 48311.

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
It should at least work at 480p. I'm in this boat as well - only 1080i gaming for me - if ever. If it becomes standard that 720p is the king, I may have to get a new TV in a year or so (wait at least until halo2.) My SO will kill me if i get one before then.

Jake Gove

Second Unit
I have a Toshiba HDTV and Tony Hawk 4. How do I know if it's displaying in 720p? The picture looks great right now.

JasonKrol

Supporting Actor
i set my xbox to 720p, and have it hooked up to my Tosh 50h81. The intro loaded up fine and everything, but then when the menu was supposed to appear, it was all black. but I had music and sound fx as I moved the controller etc.
no 720p here :frowning:
ohh well..im not that upset. I probably couldnt tell the difference anyway (ha! who am I kidding!)

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Not many RPTVs do it. You need to get a fixed pixel display (LCD, plasma, LCOS, DLP).

Greg_TSL

Stunt Coordinator
Jake,
If you have the Xbox set to output 720p in the setup menu and run a game that supports 720p and are connected using the component connection, it will output 720p.

Joe,
When I start the game it is a mess of horizontal streaks, and bands...no picture but sound...when I disable 720p output it displays in 480p.

I think it looks very good in 480p, but I sure wish I could get it in higher res.

I think 720p as a broadcast resolution musta died though, since I was never aware my TV didnt support it, yet I've never had a problem watching anything.

I guess if they cranked Tony Hawk 4 up to 1080i and it took a signifigant hit in FPS I would prefer to play it at 480p though.

Tim E

Auditioning
How can I go from 720p to 1080i or 720p to 540p to 1080i without spending over $1000.00? My Pioneer Elite PRO-520HD does not support 720p.

Leroy

Second Unit
I beleive Mitsubishi guarantees that their tv's are upgradable to support any future HD standards? (I have a Mits 46807)At least according to my owners manual supplements and their website.

I wonder if this is something that they would upgrade to, and how much the cost would be?

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
720p isn't part of the Mistubishi promise. That refers to such things as DVI/firewire/etc... Also, the promise is that the upgrade will cost no more than $1,000.

If your tv doesn't support 720p, the only way to get it is buy getting a new tv.

-Dave

Camp

Senior HTF Member
...or getting a set top box that converts 720p to a format your TV can display.

Matt Lane

Agent
I have a MITS that has an input for 1080i mode. If I am plugged into that component input, will it downsample to 720P when I load the game?

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Probably not. However, some Mitsubishi RPTVs have the HD decoder built-in. You would probably know if yours did.

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
I have a MITS that has an input for 1080i mode. If I am plugged into that component input, will it downsample to 720P when I load the game?
Nope. I'm in the same boat and we be screwed.

Dagnabbit - I really don't want to buy a new set but this is making me think twice.

Joe Reed

Stunt Coordinator
That is why I am going with the Sony GWII :D but for you guys I would wait and see how many games do support 720p in the future or when Halo 2 comes out and it is 720p then it is time for a new tv

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
If Halo 2 does comes out in 720p, I'll probably just replace the bedroom TV and maybe get another xbox for in there.

sigh. This does piss me off though.

Joe Kim

Auditioning
I have one of the few RPTV's that support 720p natively through the component inputs. It's a Panasonic PT56WXF95A. When I bought it nearly 2 years ago, I never imagined that a game console would have games that support 720p resolution. My Panasonic TU-HDS20 STB also passes a native 720p signal to my TV. I've never seen motion artifacts while watching ABC. Can't wait for ESPN!

Not to sound like I'm gloating, but NBA2K3 looks amazing in 720p mode. I'm not a big Tony Hawk fan (as far as I know) so I'm not sure how it looks.

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks