Arghhh, My XBox has Died!!!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by James St, Jul 5, 2002.

1. James St

James St Supporting Actor

I haven't played it in about a week due lack of time and Eternal Darkness(ED for GCN that is[​IMG]). So I'm in the mood for some Morrowind when I turn on the power when after the XBox logo comes up my XBox light starts flashing red and green. A screen comes up telling me in about fifty languages that my XBox needs service. The HDD is making odd grinding like noises throughout this whole ordeal which is obviously the culprit. I called the XBox service center and they want $99 plus S+H to repair it.
    I'm debating just buying a new one with an extended warranty this time but I'm still unsure. I've only had warranty work done a few times on various electronics I've owned over the years but each time they never quite worked right afterwards. I don't want to lose all my saves especially my Morrowind save but with a possible HDD failure I probably lost them anyway. Should I send it in and hope they can retain my saves or should I just get a new one?

2. JasonKrol

JasonKrol Supporting Actor

my guess is that they will by no means garuantee that your saves will be .. saved. Its too much work for them. Theyll simply replace the harddrive, and probably make 30-40 bucks off ya too.

i would just buy a new one..and cut your losses. sorry to hear about it.

although, this brings up an interesting thing I noticed with my system the other night. A friend and I were playing HAlO coop, for about 4hours and the thing just froze. Im not surprised, considering it was sitting on the carpet all night, and Im sure it probably just overheated. anyone else notice this problem?

Good luck with your system James!

3. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

I played Halo co-op for the first time today for 3 hours with one of my friends... we had a damn good time! [​IMG]

4. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    There's no way I would pay $100 to fix a $200 system even if the memory was intact. Regardless, it's more than likley that you'll have to start from scratch either way, so just get a new system.

5. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

more like $120 because it is going to be pricey to ship the XBOX to Redmond (it weighs about 10lbs). Get a new one with an extended warrenty (I got a 2 year warrenty from Circuit City for $30).

6. James St

Thanks, guys. I'll probably go with a new unit with an extended warranty. I don't mind losing my saves with the exception of Morrowind. That game is so deep it's going to take forever to get back to where I'm at. I think I'll buy a memory card to use as a backup this time just in case.

So Circuit City offers 2 years for $30, anyone know what Best Buy and EB offer for extended warranty?

7. Luis Cruz

Luis Cruz Stunt Coordinator

I bought my X-Box about a month ago at Best Buy and the extended warranty was 25 bucks. And plus, I don't know how Circuit City's warranty works, but with Best Buy w/the warranty if anything happens to the system you just get a brand spanking new one...[​IMG] Or you get a credit for what you paid for the item.

8. AndyVX

AndyVX Supporting Actor

AFAIK, the warrenty at EB is the same as Best Buy. If anything goes wrong, they just give you a new one right on the spot. Well, that's how it was explained to me by the EB guys here in Toronto. [​IMG]
    Sorry to hear about your troubles with the Xbox.

9. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

If anything goes wrong with my CC plan, they will just send me a check for $200 in the mail to do whatever the hell I want with [​IMG]

10. DavidAM

DavidAM Second Unit

I'd buy a new one for $200 and then throw the broken one on ebay. I'm sure someone will pay $50-$100 for a broken one.

11. Jeff P

Jeff P Agent

Good thought about e-bay - Here is the last few broken ones that sold:

Broken Nonworking Xbox Console System $132.50 12 Jun-24
    Broken Xbox System $102.02 17 Jun-28 17:42
    Broken XBOX with all cables,Not Altered! $112.50 Jun-28
    Broken XBox, No Reserve!!! $102.50 21 Jun-29 15:08
    Broken Xbox Game Console $162.50 41 Jun-29 15:43
    Broken / Nonworking Xbox Console System $103.50 5

12. pitchman

pitchman Screenwriter

Gary
    I'm a little surprised and somewhat disappointed to think that Microsoft followed Sony's lead and only comes with a 90-day warranty. Say what you might about some of Nintendo's rather bizarre marketing decisions, but a 12-month warranty for a device of this type just makes sense to me. I have all three systems and have not had any problems (knock wood), but I definitely would not replace the PS2 if it failed, and (if it happened today) I probably would not replace the Xbox, either. I really like the robust Xbox hardware, but continue to be underwhelmed by the, more often than not, poor quality software. Hopefully this fall, that will all change.

Gary

13. Kevin_Kr

Kevin_Kr Supporting Actor

You could always by a new one with service from bb, and whops it broke right away! Just kidding. I would definetly by one with service.

14. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

I remember paying $80.00 to have a PS1 serviced when it broke. It still works to thid day. Of course that was back when the PS1 cost $300.00.
    -Andre F

15. Tom Fudold

Tom Fudold Stunt Coordinator

Hi all,

I also got that screen of repair after having my Xbox for 3 days. It worked the next day, but not at all the night before... I didn't bother waiting to see if it'd happen again. Electronics Boutique gave me a brand new one, no questions asked the next day. I have that option for 2 years... it cost me $30 for it.

I didn't get that on the Gamecube, I trust the quality of Nintendo's products. But with a HD and Network card in the Xbox, there was no way I was getting it without the extended warranty.

Good luck...

T.

16. James St

Thanks, guys. I bought one at Best Buy and got the extended warranty for $25. Funny thing is when I opened the box MS had an offer for a service plan as well. The MS plan was two years for $49.90. Looks like I picked the right one.[​IMG]