What's new

Argh! theives! (1 Viewer)

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
So I'm sitting in my apartment at my computer, it's 12:30am and I hear a loud bang outside, and I'm like WTF?? then I hear another, so I look out in the parking lot and I see 2 guys walking in circles around this car, and I'm like "hrm this just doens't look good" so I run and grab my alarm remote from my pants as I'm parked like 3 cars away, and I come back just in time to see them throw a big rock at this guys window!!!
furious.gif

so I set off my alarm and they go running off in a flash.. so here I am 1.5 hours later after calling the building manager and waiting for the cops to give a report
frown.gif

that guy owes me, he had a nice brand new pioneer cd player and all he got out of the deal was a chipped window. And I get.. 2 hours less sleep
frown.gif

if there's one thing I hate, it's theivin bastards. So my car is safe in the garage now :)

CRyan

Screenwriter
Good job and quick thinking! I cannot stand thieves. Did you get any kind of description? Not that it will help.
Oh well, maybe you can inform the guy and make him aware to remove the face of the head unit if it is possible.
C. Ryan
------------------
http://www.elitestoragedesigns.com/RyanOAR.bmp
[Edited last by CRyan on October 09, 2001 at 02:47 AM]

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
oh yeah. I called the manager, she called the cops and I gave a report and they called the owner after looking up the plate and he came down (he lives in my Bldg.)
not much of a description, the car is mostly obscurred by the garages, not to mention it's 200 yards away at night
frown.gif

at least I saved the guy a broken window and a cd player I guess.
the fucked up part is, what's this kid gonna get for a stolen CD player? 75 bucks tops? hell I'd GIVE him 75 bucks just to leave my shit alone. The window, deck, and damage to the interior would have cost the owner well over a grand.

CRyan

Screenwriter
Yes, it is horrible what it can cost to get everything fixed. I had my fully restored 71 superbeetle convert broken into while I was at work. Cost $700 for just the vent window - they are hard to come by. What really pissed me off in the end was the greasy hair spot that they left on my rearview mirror.
frown.gif

C. Ryan
------------------
http://www.elitestoragedesigns.com/RyanOAR.bmp

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
I had my head unit stolen from my car a few years back. The kicker was that I had taken the faceplate off! What really got to me was when I called Pioneer and asked about my options, they stated I was stuck with a faceplate. If I had my faceplate stolen, they could replace that however.
furious.gif

------------------
The only thing we have to fear is fear itself. -Franklin D. Roosevelt.
My Top 10 of 2000 My Top 10 of 2001

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Philip,
Are you sure you didn't just have a bad dream?
There is strong documentation that NO crime takes place in North Dakota. I think there may have been some reports of shopifting in South Dakota, but that was in 1983.
JIm

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
Car Thieves!
furious.gif

You are a good man to stop them.
Two weeks ago, my car was stolen from right in front of my damned house, twenty feet away from my sleeping head! Recovered two days later, with $2500 damage and, of course, missing all my (hidden) electronics. But here's the kicker: THEY CAUGHT THE GUY! I got a summons in the mail a few days later asking me to appear as a witness against the car thief! I plan to request the death penalty.
>> hell I'd GIVE him 75 bucks just to leave my shit alone.

Jeff Blair

Second Unit
I had my car broken into about a year ago. They stole a radar detector from the front window. It MIGHT have been worth $10. The thing was about 5 years old. It cost me $150 to get the widow replaced, and a half day at work. Stupid kids.
------------------
Jeff Blair
AIM blairj2
Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.
- Abraham Lincoln
My DVD's

Terry Hansen

Stunt Coordinator
Philip, I immediately thought that someone had stolen your R1! Hope they catch the thieving bastages.
------------------

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
Nope, the R1 is a WHOLE DIFFERENT story.
I bought it from a guy in VA, and paid him $480 to deliver it (3000 miles round trip for him) and he was SUPPOSED to do it last weekend but didn't, in fact that's the only reason my car was out of the garage, was in case he showed up.

CharlesD

Screenwriter
I had my car stero stolen a few years back. Called the police and they didn't even bother to come out, instead they took vital information such as MY height etc over the phone. Too busy hiding behind bushes looking for pepole doing 5 mph over the limit I guess.
------------------
-- Will Work for Five Million Dollars

Jin E

Second Unit
I had my truck broken into before. The trail head for the local mountainbiking trail is kind of isolated. Local theives have figured out that they can break into these cars since the owners usually will be gone for 1-2 hours. Broke both my windows and got away with the pull out portion of my antiquated pull out deck, a portable CD player I paid $20 for, and 1/2 of my Jim Croce 2 CD set . Both windows totaled to $420. Fuckers. Me? I would have called the cops and hold the punks at bay with my AK47. I've done it before and would gladly do it again. You should see how large theives eyes get looking down the barrel of a black hungarian AK47.
------------------
-Jin
My Theater

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
I hate thieves. (Who doesn't?) Dirty rotten bastards. Doesn't help that the police could care less. My father had his stereo stolen some 8 years ago. The guy who stole it lived two houses down. He was into drugs and had stolen numerous things from other neighbors. I'd seen the guy on many occasions loitering around the mailboxes and other vehicles at all hours (midnight, 2am, etc) when I'd come home late.
Anyway, he left his damn screwdriver - the one he used to pry the stereo out of the dash - sitting in my father's van. This was a unique screwdriver and I immediately recognized it as his (we hung out with his brother on occasion who was actually a decent guy). We explained this to the police but they weren't interested. During the same time period, other neighbors had windows broken and items stolen out of their vehicles. Thousands of dollars worth of damage to various vehicle and the police still didn't care. They'd come up, take their reports, and that would be the end of it.
I've been wanting to get a small video camera overlooking my driveway. We live in a nice neighborhood but that doesn't mean crime won't occur. Of course, I'll keep putting it off until my car is stolen ...
------------------
-Ryan (http://www.ryanwright.com )
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Matt_Stevens

Supporting Actor
Last Summer I was up late, writing (that's what I do). It was around 1 AM. The windows in my office/den are open and I hear some guys whispering (sound travels on my street). I go to the window and see some local punks scoping out a neighbor's car.
And they try to break into it.
So I open my closet, pull out some left over bottle rockets, light one, throw it out the window, WHOOSH!
It blows up right next to them. They start screaming and run like hell. Meanwhile, I'm laughing my ass of.
biggrin.gif

------------------
www.deceptions.net/superman

Dana Fillhart

Supporting Actor
ROTFLMAO!!!!
Man, would I have paid $$ to sit and watch THAT, Matt! Wouldn't have happened to have gotten that on videotape would you?
biggrin.gif

------------------

Jim_F

Screenwriter
In years past, I made a habit of leaving my car doors unlocked. I figured that broken windows would be more expensive to replace than anything inside the car.
TWICE-with two different cars-I had thieves break a window in order to steal the car stereo, without first attempting to open the unlocked doors.
Assholes.
[Edited last by Jim_F on October 09, 2001 at 01:43 PM]

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
So I open my closet, pull out some left over bottle rockets, light one, throw it out the window, WHOOSH!
The most fun I ever had with bottle rockets was placing them on 4' high plants in a meadow, aiming for the cows on the other side of the creek, and firing. Launched an entire case of rockets and never hit a single cow despite them being only a couple dozen feet away; I think our plant leaves launching mechanisms were defective.
But, that's a different discussion...
------------------
-Ryan (http://www.ryanwright.com )
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Robert Wainwright

Stunt Coordinator
The day I received my free five pack of DVDs (Lost in Space, Stargate, etc,) I sat up all night watching them.
(new movies!!!) Sooo, around 2am I'm still in the living room watching LiS and I hear a rattling from my back porch. I quickly open the curtain and turn on the exterior light (all in one swooping motion) and there is the neighbor's kid. He had punched a hole through the screen door and was in the process of unlocking the door. He bolted as soon as the light came on. Rather then chasing him, I called the local police. They came out, I gave a full description of the person and the clothes that he was wearing. The officer and I sauntered down and rang the kid's doorbell. He opens the door (in the same clothes that I had mentioned sans shoes) rubbing his eyes like he was sleeping. His dad came out saying "my son's been in all night blah blah blah..."
End result: Not a thing. It was my word vs. the father's.
The officer's point was: "Well, he didn't get nothing."
A couple of weeks later, I run into the kid while walking my dog (a 86 pound German Shepard). I simply went up and said "Next time, I don't call the cops..."
No problems since.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks