What's new

ARGH! Stupid electronics salespeople feeding my dad wrong information! (1 Viewer)

Pamela

Supporting Actor
I don't find it unreasonable to expect a salesperson to have a basic understanding of the merchandise they are selling. The amount of money you are getting paid to do a job isn't an excuse not to do it properly. I just don't get that mind set. Well actually, I do. It's called lazy. The management is to blame for this. They make no attempt to better train their employees or set higher expectations for them.

Before anyone gets their knickers in a wad, This isn't a blanket indictment of all mass market electronics salespersons. I've dealt with some good ones. But my experiences tend to lean in the other direction.

One time I was shopping for a DVD player and the salesman was trying to sell me one with a DD decoder. This was after I already told him my receiver had DD. His explanation of why I would need this? "It will make you DD sound twice as good." Whatever.

There are only two reasons for this misinformation. Either the salesperson doesn't know the answer and can't admit it, or they are just trying to make a sale. I find both to be unexcusable.

I'm also tired of walking into a mass market electronics chain and being treated condescendingly. But that's a whole other rant...

I do my homework before hand and try to buy online if possible. Avoids all the B.S. Or I take my business to some local high-end shops. I've had nothing but good experiences with them.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Just to clarify, i dont wanna come off as one of those teenager who thinks he knows EVERYTHING, because I DON'T.

My rant was about salespeople who were telling my dad WRONG information, or making stuff up when they really dont know much about.

Im not complaining about salespeople who dont know about the product they sell, it could be the first day on the job, it could be a new product and they just haven't read on it yet. I dont blame them for not knowing everything about every product they sell.

Im talking about those who lie to innocent shoppers. And in my case, totally contradict all the time researching, educating and convincing my dad, because suddenly my dad believes the salesperson, and not me, because of the salesperson's lack of information of the product they are selling. Telling people what they wanna hear, telling people anything to make a sale.

Pamela

Supporting Actor
Im not complaining about salespeople who don't know about the product they sell, it could be the first day on the job, it could be a new product and they just haven't read on it yet.
Yes, nobody is expected to know everything about everything. But if they don't know about it, they should admit it, and try and find someone who is knowledgeable about the product. Not just say something ridiculous in order to make a sale.
*****And on that note, I'm off to Circuit City to pick up a UPS for my TIvo. Wish me luck! :laugh:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks