What's new

Argh! So is PS2 DTS in-game or no? (1 Viewer)

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
I was reading the letters section of Gamespot this morning, and Shane wrote the following response to a query about PS2 in-game DTS sound:
(question)
The real deal is that Home Theater Magazine is wrong if the information you relayed is what it says. SSX Tricky does not use DTS in-game. It's used only during the cinemas and during the making-of extras. And "EA Hockey game 2002" definitely does not use in-game DTS on the PlayStation 2. The magazine should have mentioned Metal Gear Solid 2 as an example, but even that game uses DTS for only the opening and ending cinemas. It's never used during gameplay. And no, I'm not lying or pulling your leg.

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Shane is wrong. Metal Gear Solid uses Dolby Digital in cinematic sequences, not DTS. SSX Tricky and NHL 2002 do indeed feature in-game DTS.

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
Isn't it great that neither extensive product knowledge nor basic fact-checking skills are requirements for being the Features Editor of a major internet gaming site? :rolleyes
Thanks for the clarification, fellas.

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
Many thanks for the links, Chris. I forwarded them onto Shane for his reference. Hopefully we will see a retraction in tomorrow's letters...

Brandon_H

Stunt Coordinator
Ignore them.

The gaming media have demonstrated repeatedly their ignorance of any technology that doesn't push polygons.

As a journalist, I frankly am embarrassed by many game writers. Their work often is terrible. Too many articles are littered with grammatical errors, and peppered with inside jokes and sophomoric humor. These lame attempts at "edgy" reporting turn off readers and add nothing to the stories.

All too often, those stories don't offer any useful information anyway. On most days, the leading Web sites offer up press releases, retyped almost verbatim and passed off as news articles.

Aside from Next Generation (rest its soul,) none of the mainstream gaming-media outlets has attempted to do investigative, in-depth reporting about the industry. Just once, I would like to see a feature about industry trends, or about one of its leading executives or game designers.

(The "Q-and-A" sessions these publications print don't count. They are the laziest form of journalism in the world. Turn on a tape recorder, let it run while you ask someone 45 minutes of lame, nonconfrontational questions, then transcribe the whole thing without any real editing or reporting. Such "articles" are an utter waste of trees.)

In his response, Mr. Satterfield has demonstrated the worst kind of journalistic sin. Confronted with the possibility that he might have made an error, he obviously made no real effort to double-check his reporting. Instead, he attacked a publication that printed the information correctly, and repeated his own mistake as the truth.

When a reporter gets something wrong -- and we all do -- you 'fess up. You print a correction. You apologize. If you don't, you lose your credibility. I would suggest that Mr. Satterfield now has lost whatever credibility he might have had in topics related to home theater.

Okay, I'm done ranting now. Thanks for letting me vent.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
I also emailed Shane. It will be interesting to see if he retracts his statement or just ignores the topic after he realizes his mistake.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I also emailed Shane, and he made a reply at the end of today's The Spot. He said he was mistaking DTS for DD5.1 and that was HIS error.

Also, I was able to get a link from the news story that announced the real-time DTS in SSX Tricky from the site and send it to him, so he probably realized people were saying DTS and not DD5.1

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Is this the same guy who said that HDTV improves every game equally so there is no need to mention widescreen support/higher resolution/etc...?

-Dave

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Yup. He doesn't have an HDTV, and neither does anyone at the site. If they did, they would say something because it makes a difference, just like DD5.1 in X-Box games.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Still going Scott. The thread was just recently brought back up a bit ago. Still waiting on more content before I put anything up. Do a search for the thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks