Argh, ready to switch to satellite, still unsure

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Chris, Oct 30, 2004.

1. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

OK, I was with DirectTV for years, loved it.. had the east/west cost feed of all the networks thanks to our rural location.. but when I moved to KC about 5 years ago, we dropped it and just went TW.

Now I'm somewhat unhappy with the amazing cost of the whole thing, and looking to change.

That having been said, there are only a handful of channels that I list in my "can't loose" list.. one of them being "Noggin" which seems to exist on neither satellite service [​IMG]

I'm debating it. I'm also somewhat dissapointed in the HD offerings they have, which made me almost consider Voom, but haven't gone that route either.

Any one want to give me the pros/cons of thier DISH experience?

2. Ralph B

Ralph B Supporting Actor

I have no experience with it but friends say its great.

funny thing is recently I called my cable co for a billing reason and told them if it were not for thr HD content they offer they would no longer have me as a customer. they tried to argue cable is about the same price as DTV. I laughed at them. I pay $100 and I get nothing!!! too much money. if DTV or another dish co offers a decent offer/pacjage with HD cable is history.

3. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Like I've stated many times here. I have used Dishnetwork, DirecTV (twice) and TWC. I was a TW customer for 29 days of a 30 day free trial. I didn't like the pixilated picture on the digital channels but even more, I HATED their STB. That had to be the worst cable box I had ever seen. I'm really surprised I lasted 29 days.

I was a Dish customer for 18 months. The only positive that came out of it was my first exposure to a PVR. I can't live without one now. Other than that, they had receivers that were a step above TWC in usability but they were buggy. My Dishplayer is regarded as one of the worst receivers made. As far as I know, no other receiver has been part of a class action lawsuit.

I left DirecTV because I thought things were better on the other side. WRONG. I'm back with a DirecTivo and will not leave as long as they support my hardware. My hardware functions as advertised. I don't worry about missing shows of having the D-Tivo "burp" and delete everything. I tell it the shows I want to watch and it records them without fail. Well, it fails occaisionally but it's caused by bad guide data and not a hardware problem. I'm not loving their HD selection now but I'm happy that they have announced the new Spaceway satellites will be carrying more HD channels.

-Robert

4. John Alvarez

John Alvarez Screenwriter

I have been looking at dumping my cable too. I went to a Direct dealer and found that to go with Sat in my 6 rooms I currently have expanded basic cable will be $600.00....[​IMG] Not to mention I buy the equipment and have to pay 5 bucks a month to have the signal go to each additional room? There has got to be a better and cheaper way to do 6 rooms. The way I figure it without any Hi Def or movie packages I'll still be paying over 120 bucks a month...[​IMG]

5. Elinor

Elinor Supporting Actor

"Any one want to give me the pros/cons of thier DISH experience?"

I've been with Dish since '97 or so.

PROs: best prices for service; best HD picture (least compression); many options from buying equipment to leasing;

CONs: not the greatest quality receivers, though there are regular sw updates; sports selection not as appealing to sports nuts;

I don't really care about NFL, and I've never had a moment of wanting to switch. I'd like more HD, but don't want to pay much more for it. PVRs haven't yet hit the price point that attracts me.

Do you have any particular concerns about Dish?

6. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Channel modulators. I feed all of my TV's from two receivers. The HD receiver and DirecTivo feed the TV in the living room via component and composit connections. The receivers also feed a Sony MRD-D1 channel modulator that is connected to the rest of the TV's in the house. Receiver #1 is on channel 65 and receiver #2 is on channel 67. I have a second channel modulator for my DVD player and a VCR (channels 69 and 71).

-Robert

7. EricRWem

EricRWem Screenwriter

Adrik
    I miss satellite like crazy. My cable service is solid enough, but expensive and not nearly enough choice. In my case, though, I have major concerns that both geography and environment/weather might be too major of obstacles. I live near Dayton, OH.

8. John Alvarez

Robert_J
    Using that setup you can watch a different channel on every t.v.?

9. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

Chris,

If your house is already wired with coax from a central point to each room, I have to think that doing a "3 Room/3 Box" free install, which seems to be advertised every weekend in my CC and Best Buy ads, and THEN buying 3 plain jane receivers and self installing those would be much cheaper than $600.

At the present time, you can even buy DirecTivos for about $50 w/rebate.

But if that $600 covers pulling wire to some of those 6 rooms, well, never mind!

And I don't think there is any way around the $5/box monthly fee for 5 of the 6.

BGL

10. John Alvarez

That was my point. I have coax to all the rooms. It's a new house. The guy said they have to run 4 cables from the dish into the house and then the switch to run 6 boxes is 200 bucks. They were charging 50 bucks for each plain reciever after the first 3 plus 80 to run each line after 3.

11. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    They are charging too much again. A five room system from Solid Signal is free. Comes with a Phase III dish, 5x8 switch and 5 plain receivers. You can replace one of those plain receivers with a DirecTivo for $39. Or you can buy one at Best Buy for $79 (70 hour model).

-Robert

12. John Alvarez

Where is solid signal? Is that installed. I'm new to this so teach me.....[​IMG]

13. John Alvarez

Is the Phase III dish the newest and greatest or should I be asking about something else? I want tot ry and do this over Thanksgivivng so any help would be greatly appreciated.

14. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    You only have two choices. The 18" dish which points at the 101 satellite. This will get you the core DirecTV channels plus some locals. The Phase III receives signals from satellites at 101, 110 and 119. In addition to the core channels you can also get HD, foreign language and other locals (depending on subscriptions). If you live in an area that recently had locals activated, you will need a second 18" dish pointed at a satellite at 72.5. You don't list your location in your profile so I can't give you any more details than that.

-Robert

15. John Alvarez

Sweet site. Thanks a ton. I'll be calling today. I'm in St. Augustine Fl. just outside of Jacksonville. Area code 32092 if that helps.

16. EricRWem

EricRWem Screenwriter

Adrik
    How well does this Phase III and other gear function in snow and possibly some geographic obstacles?

17. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

Not sure that a 2nd dish is always required.

We got locals here in the spring (one of the 1st cities when the new bird went up) and my Phase III dish gets 'em. That may vary with geographic location, but in the Southwest, one dish is getting it done for me.

Eric, you need a clear view of the sats. If there is a big-ass tree or mountain between you and them, you are hosed. As for snow, I have lost signal when the dish is covered with snow (easily fixed with a snow brush, since my dish sits on a porch off of the master bedroom), and have lost it briefly during the heaviest of T-Storms.

BGL

18. John Alvarez

Which of the 5 room packs would you recommend?

19. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Maybe the DirecTV D10 receiver pack. Actually, after using a DirecTivo I find it difficult to watch TV without a PVR. So if you are going to have one or two locations with a lot of viewing, plan accordingly.

-Robert

20. John Alvarez

The one with the triple LNB? Right now all I want is standard broadcast. Maybe with 5.1 if that makes sense? I want to be able to do hi def on one t.v. mid next year though.