argh... installed old 3D card, now win98 wont boot!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by NickSo, Jan 22, 2002.

1. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    So i reinstalled my old Monster3D card into my computer (which didnt have any 3D card), and then went online and updated my drivers. why oh why did i update my damn drivers?!
    Now EXPLORER crashes every time and stays stuck on a plain screen showing my wallpaper, even in SAFE MODE.
    I try to reinstall windows on top of my windows i had already.. didnt work, the win98 setup freezes after the 'settng up your computer to install win98" 0-100% toolbar thing. A black box pops up, and theres some runtime error... [​IMG](
    Damn, i dont wanna format my HD... i gotta redownload programs, and they're all the latest ones that'll make my P166 super slow... [​IMG]( dammit!

2. Rob FM

Rob FM Second Unit

R
    Boot to DOS, and delete offending drivers.....
    Can you find your startup disk? Mine's always buried under a ton of stuff [​IMG]
    ~Rob

3. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    yeah, i can... should i just delete the driver files???

4. Rob FM

Rob FM Second Unit

R
    Deleting the driver files should let you boot into safe mode (VGA) then you can re-install the old ones. I'm assuming you have copies of both driver files (good and bad) before you delete.
    I'm sure "Rob G." (and many others) have more experience than me in this area.. feel free to jump in. [​IMG]
    Good Luck,
    ~Rob

5. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Hmm, i tried deleting them (The DLLs and VXDs), but it still boots windows normally and still crashes explorer... im afraid i will have to reformat soon, unles ssomebody can gimme anoher suggestion

6. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Go into the control panel/system and remove your card from there. It will default to a standard VGA when you reboot.

Glenn

7. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    The problem is i cant even GET into windows, it starts loading, then Explorer crashes then im stuck with just my wallpaper showing, nothing else, and nothing loads...
    even in safe mode... argh... i just spent the whole afternoon trying to fix it... MOTHER [email protected]! [​IMG]

8. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Hi Nick: Do this to boot into safe mode:

Click Restart, click OK(or cold boot system), and then press and hold the CTRL key until the Microsoft Windows 98 Startup Menu appears.

For some machines, you can use F8 instead of CTRL to bring up the Microsoft Windows 98 Startup Menu.

Enter the number for Safe mode, and then press ENTER.

Once booted into safe mode, open the video card driver folder and then change it to standard VGA. Reboot, and then you can make other changes from there.

9. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

Nick,

What happens if you pull the Monster 3D out of the system and try to boot with just your 2D card? If I recall correctly, the Monster 3D is a Voodoo 1 card that is a 3D-only solution, and requires another card for 2D operations...