ARGH! I am tired of my skipping DVD player!

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Blashy, Jan 17, 2006.

1. Blashy

Blashy Agent

Ok, well since there seems to be nothing I can do, I have tried using a DVD player cleaner to no avail and I have made sure the disks are cleaned prior to playing.

But too many DVDs still skip. I take the same DVD put it on my pc dvd player and it runs fine.

So my 300$ home theatre in a box is a done for.

I want to purchase a dvd player that is top notch in terms of NOT skipping.

The places I intend to buy from are bestbuy.ca , futureshop.ca and http://www.braultmartineau.com

Anything in there that is recommendeded?

Oh and now I guess I am stuck to buy a seperate player for my speakers, my speakers connect via the simple standard speaker connections wires.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

2. John S

John S Producer

On build quality, look into Oppo players. They do seem to be a tad better than the $100 and under offerings.

DVD players are made cheaply these days. Most of us, just replace the players when they go out. Skipping is a problem that comes with use and age, no real way around it, other than finding a better built player in general, which the Oppos seem to be a slight notch above most in the $200 and under range. They seem better built than my Zenith DVB-318 anyways whcih is also in that same price range.

3. rob-h

rob-h Second Unit

I bought my first DVD player in 1997 for $900 and still have it. Not one player (even the cheap ones) that I have owned has ever skipped. I have never even heard of that before. Well, I guess you live and learn!

4. John S

John S Producer

Well, I don't think skip is the term I would use. But basically any trouble reading discs could called skipping, which is what I am assuming is the case here.

You never had a problem with a player reading discs? If so you are very fortunate. I think most of us have experienced DVD player problems with reading discs in general.

5. Blashy

Blashy Agent

Oppo players. I'll look into it.

I guess best thing to do is take the full proof warranties.

6. Lance_R

Lance_R Stunt Coordinator

I had lots of problems with netflix in my players, I recently built an HTCP and not one single problem. I think you just need to find a player with a bigger buffer.

7. Blashy

Blashy Agent

8. Steve_Blazer

Steve_Blazer Stunt Coordinator

The more expensive players have a memory buffer in them so it can resample the DVD and try to fill in the gap while you continue to watch the movie without interruption.

I used to have a cheapo DVD player and it was a pig for skipping etc so I upgraded to a decent Denon with a 4meg buffer.

No problems since.

9. Blashy

Blashy Agent