What's new

Argh! Another broken DVD! (1 Viewer)

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
The first year and a half with my Netflix subscription was uneventful. But Now I've got another broken DVD in the mail. This is the 3rd time since Tomb Of The Blind Dead for the Halloween challenge.

*The disks are split from the hub to the outer ring. Are other people using these rentals for target practice or what?

*Its never a movie my wife picks out, always something I want to watch.

*I get the movie and mail it back on the same day for a replacment. The all-powerful Netflix computers see this as "too much renting" and my next 4 DVDs always have return shipping envelopes to the other side of the country.

Its almost enough to make me want to visit the local videostore. But they never have anything more than a few months old (but plenty of copies of Dark Harvest 3).

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
I would blame the post office for the broken discs, not Netflix. 60 minutes recently had a segment on how they work, and they check each disc when they get it back. I've gotten a few broken DVDs over the years.

As far as the shipping from across the country goes, it could be an obscure title, and that is the only shipment place that has it in stock.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I blame NetFlix for not knowing how to properly pack DVD's for delivery through the mail. ;)

You dont run through a crowded room full of people, with a white shirt, and a full glass of red wine, then blame the guy (you accidentally bump into) for spilling your wine. :D

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I have never gotten a "broken" DVD from Netflix. Last week, i got a disc that was fairly scratched (nothing new there), but it had a pronounced depression in in it. Whether this happened in transit, I do not know. In any case, they shipped me a pristine replacement. I always thought that an envelope with no padding was bound to cause problems.

I had a more frustrating experience once. I rented the BBC version of A Midsummer Night's Dream from them, and they sent me the movie version with Michelle Pfeiffer. I returned it, and they sent the same version again. They have 4 or more versions of A Midsummer Night's Dream, but apparently cannot tell them apart. I never did receive it. They gave up on it.

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
I've had only two broken Netflix discs since I've been a member (2-3 years? don't feel like looking it up). They always send a replacement the day after I report it. Discs are too cheap for them to pay extra for better packaging. It's cheaper to replace the disc.

Doug

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member

Yes. If they changed the packaging, the prices would have to go up. So, it really isn't worth it.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I've been a member since 1999, and I think in all of that time I was shipped one incorrect title (was trying to get one Fleetwood Mac live show and got a different one instead), and maybe three damaged discs.

So on average, I guess a little less than once every other year I get a problem disc. I can live with that!

Will_B

Senior HTF Member

If you're allowed to double up returns inside one envelope, just save some locally addressed return envelopes for such occassions.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
Never had a broken disc from Netflix. But I've had TONS of scratched discs that stop playing in the middle of the film (and often at the most inopportune times).

Mark Rafter

Auditioning
If you look at any Netflix return envelope, you will see that it says in BOLD letters, Nearest Netflix Shipping Facility.

It may have been sent from across the country due to supply, but, (and I do work for the Post Office) we cull these out of the mailstream and send them all, regardless of address to (in my case) Salem, OR.

Mark

Paul Prischman

Auditioning
Recently they sent me one of their e-mail notices saying that they had received the return of one title and we're sending out THe PROPOSITION to me.

I never received it! A day after they listed it as having arrived (in my Queue), I got the usual e-mail thanking me for returning it. I bet a neighbor got it and just threw it back in the mail.
After a confusing e-mail conversation with customer service (they could not understand that I never had the DVD), I just gave up and bought the damn thing. I still haven't watched it!

Bill>Moore

Second Unit
I've been a Netflix member for over three years and have never had a single broken or unplayable disc. I did have two discs get lost (one on it's way to me, the other on the way back to Netflix) and they took care of them immediately.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member

Do all post offices do that? I know mine doesn't. Isn't the mail automated by the zip code on the envelope?

I've sent it back, with envelopes addressed to "Nearest Netflix Shipping Facility" being across the country, and it takes sometimes a week to get there.

So, I've also gotten into the habit of doubling up returns, saving local envelopes, and sending them all to my local one, which takes one day.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Well obviously I'm not going to start a thread about scratchd DVDs. Those are pretty common for rentals, but three broken in three months? Thats worth a thread.

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor

Hi, Mark. When I put my discs envelopes back in the mailing envelope, I make sure that the bar code shows through the window. Is that helpful/expeditious on a return, or is it only used when Netflix ships it out?

Thanks,
Doug

Vegas 1

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alvin Kuenster
I've been using Netflix for almost two years and I have had 2 broken discs which were replaced promptly. If you don't get the new releases right as they come out you will probably get a scratched disc, never fails. However I've yet to have one not play through even when they looked like someone took sandpaper to it.

Jeff_CusBlues

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff

I'm not sure I understand, Mark. My return envelopes say Nearest Netflix Shipping Facility but then have a PO Box and a city (normally South Bend, IN since I live in Ft. Wayne). Why would you pull them out of the mailstream?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks