What's new

arggh.....DVD RW Creation question... (1 Viewer)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
OK, here's one for you.

I encoded the files so that they are 700MB's each. By this theory, I should be able to fit in at least 6 mp2 files to fit on one DVD 4.7GB disc. Yet, it only lets me fit three, saying I've gone over the 4.7 limit. How can this be possible? Or is it just HP's software just mucking up here?

Thanks

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
Damn! I'd say it's mucking up big time -- OR -- try giving the disc in question a full reformat. Yes, that will take about an hour, but I've had instances where it got confused about a disc until I did a full reformat. Hey, it's rewritable -- what? -- some 999 times? One full reformat to clean it off ain't gonna hurt it. :D
Is the HP software their own or is it an HP branded version of someone else's software? (The copyright will normally give it way.)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
The one I be using is called Sonic MyDVD.

Not really sure if it's from HP or not. However, nero won't let me burn it unless I have a seperate video file to go with it, so that's out of luck as well..

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Nope, that's sadly not it either:frowning:. I managed to create my first one with about 7 20 minute files on it in VCD encoded format..
This one is in MPeg2 Encoded format. 320x240, 44.100KHZ 16bit stereo. 4.28 MB/second.
Video CD files that did encode properly to DVD where in MPEG 1, 352X240, 1.05MB/second, 44.100KHZ, 16Bit Stereo..

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
The one I be using is called Sonic MyDVD.
Ah, yes!
Does MyDVD give you the option of writing the DVD layout to the hard drive instead of to the writer? I strongly -- STRONGLY -- recommend doing that instead then using whatever data writing software to write to DVD-RW for a test burn. I have done this since the beginning and I have yet to make a coaster.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
This one is in MPeg2 Encoded format. 320x240, 44.100KHZ 16bit stereo. 4.28 MB/second
Those are not DVD-Video compliant. The smallest video size is 352x480, and the audio must be 48K (or 96K). If you're using MyDVD, it may be trying to transcode the MPEG-2 files to DVD-compliant ones, which would make them bigger. (VCD MPEG-1 files are DVD-compliant.)

If you're just trying to store those MPEGs as files, then you need to use a program like Nero, not MyDVD.

//Ken

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks