What's new

Aren't these just the sweetest things you have ever seen.. (1 Viewer)

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Whaddya mean dirty? What's wrong with me knowing something first?! Brian, boy, you'll get the measurements first, right after I forward Tony's e-mail with them! Bwahahahahahaha! :D

Bill Fagal

Stunt Coordinator
Fun secret high-zoot stuff!

That's quite a thick top plate you've got going there. With the triple mag stack, that says high excursion. Any fancy stuff going on with that top plate, XBL^2-style? How's it hangin'--Overhung? Underhung? Innerhung? Split coil?

Curious, and excited for you!

Bill

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Lewis. These probably will not be shiva replacements since they need about 1/2 the volume requirements for sealed and ported.
So the 12^ft ported enclosure would be way too big for two of these puppys?[sonotube]That's were my dual shivas reside right now,and tuned to @20hz.

A

Anthony_Gomez

ya....WAY to big:)
You can't effectively port these. They need to be sealed, IB, or PR'd.
they should only need between 65-80L depending on your tuning scheme (PR'd).

A

Anthony_Gomez

*L*
Sure jack.....that is if once numbers are posted, there is enough interest to warrent a one time pre-order type deal (would need a MINIMUM of 25 drivers worth)
...but I would also wait till the tumults are already ordered. No need to compete with that:) ...even though they are each for different crowds.

Chris Carswell

Supporting Actor
I don't know Anthony.................These are yours:
-

-
And these are mine:
-

-
I think my guy makes your drivers too :D I will say that the 15" version is great!!! Specially since it models better than the tempest in a smaller box even. Tempest vas = 317 compared to Mymystery15 vas = 120. I'll sell you one new for $135 or a 12" for $115.....Who want's one??? Who want's to know what mine is???
FYI - CCS stands for Chris Carswell Subs :)
You may now
htf_images_smilies_chatter.gif
htf_images_smilies_chatter.gif
amongst yourselves

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
As you can see, there's a limited number of parts available to the woofer builder, so you'll see similarities among many makes. Can't tell much about the motor from a picture, though. Really low Vas is nice for certain apps., usually for a car. I prefer it higher for home where size is not such an issue.

A

Anthony_Gomez

Chris, they look similar, but that is probably it. Not saying they are't good or anything, but I'll take my motor and motor topology anyday :)

Bill Fagal

Stunt Coordinator
Is this a motor topology you care to drop a hint about? (Refer to my "how's it hangin" question the post above.)

A

Anthony_Gomez

You people who I should be emailing got an email. I will be posting what I put in the email here in an hour or so.

A

Anthony_Gomez

FYI, I just got the drivers measured.
These drivers are custom Frankenstein creations of Destijl Engineering (read that as you will). When I asked for these prototypes, I had the complete intention of using them sealed and EQ'd...so I basically said what motor topology and what type of suspention I wanted. Everything else would be actively taken care of. So with that in mind, I wasn't too supprised to see the high Qts of the driver.
Lowering the Qts to accomidate PR'd enclosures looks to be a matter of "stitching in" a different motor. Everything else is good:) That will be the decision of the masses if I choose to pursue this further in the open DIY market.
Here is the info:
XBL2
xmax=25-27mm each way
Fs=27.92
Re=3.02
Qms=5.81
Qes=.68
Qtc=0.609
Vas=50.1
Mms=215
Bl=14.12
1w1m=84
2.83V=88.2
Le=3mH
Specs obviously show that this would suck for a PR/Port enclosure, but they look pretty good to me sealed (w/ w/o EQ depending on intention and box size), IB and Dipole.

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
How much power can those things take? It's going to take a lot of ampage to get serious output. Otherwise, that's neato.

A

Anthony_Gomez

they can probably handle ~1500watts RMS
...in other words, they will handle most any real-world application. Most people wouldn't use more than 1000watts RMS on a driver like this anyways:)
Below are what I would do:
40-45L with 1000watts
100L with 550 watts
IB with 350watts.
All of the above will use EQing to get the desired responce you want. for music, you may not need any.

Chris Carswell

Supporting Actor
Your right Anthony. They do look similar but that's about it :) . Like what Jack said. There is a limited number of parts available to the woofer builder, so you'll see similarities among many makes. Here are Mymystery12 numbers:
-
Qts. .36
Qms. 4.97
Qes. .39
Fs. 27hz
Vas. 83
Spl 88 dB
Re. 1.75
xMax 14
BL 21
Sd 490
-
Some things are close, some aren't. You've definitely got great Vas & more xmax, which is clearly visible since you magnet is taller. Mine is only 14mm so 100oz magnet is all that's needed. What's yours? 125-150 oz? If you want the #'s for the 15" LMK.

A

Anthony_Gomez

Chris, I don't actually know what the magnet weight is :D ..I can tell you that the shipping weight of a single driver is 45lbs :)
post up your 15 #'s. Also, what motor topology are you running?

Chris Carswell

Supporting Actor
I have 2 different 15" subs for you to play with.
This is the "value" one shown above:
Qts. .49
Qms. 6.0
Qes. .65
Fs. 25hz
Vas. 120 L
Spl 89 dB
Re. 1.75
xMax 14mm
BL 21
Sd 825 cm^2
Magnet 100oz
Driver Weight 20 lbs
This will compete with the Adire Tempest & Dayton DVC.
-
This is the "Killer15" one:
Qts. .37
Qms. 5.03
Qes. .40
Fs. 20.7 hz
Vas. 159 L
Spl 87.3 db
Re. 3.8
xMax 29 mm
BL 29.2
Magnet 300oz
Driver Weight 45 lbs
This one will be about $400 to compete with the Stryke HE15 & Adire Brahma 15.
-
Here is a pic:

-
We've got to have the same "source" ;) Note the magnet on my 14mm xmax driver comp to my 29mm xmax driver. It's different. Now look at your 25-27mm xmax driver comp to my 29mm xmax driver. I think they are the same. I think that's how "he" makes them to get the extra throw / xmax.

JimPeitersen

Second Unit
Kyle - I was right about Destijl Eng.! (just messing with you.)
Chris - You were right, your subs work great.
Anthony - Are these just "one-off" prototypes or will they ever be production models?

A

Anthony_Gomez

I spoke with scott and he too thought the Qtc was rather high, but the responce curves were right on. He measures dumax and I measured with CLIO.

2 possibilities (there may be others and I am just blindly guessing these two).
1) the 6hrs of breaking in were not enough
2) Clio may not deal with XBL2 properly (Scott uses Dumax)

Jim, These are just prototypes right now. I will be re-measuring them sometime in the future when they are fully broken in. I could easily make these into production units, but I would need an absolute min of 25 orders and would really like 50 orders to get the pricing low enough (orders=driver units).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks