Area Indecisive Man Close to Speaker Decision

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lou Loomis, Oct 11, 2002.

1. Lou Loomis

Lou Loomis Stunt Coordinator

after months of pondering I'm feeling ready to pull the trigger. I remember the swim teacher having to push me off the diving board as a kid, and I'm looking for her final shove right now.

the items:

-Paradigm Titans (rosenut) fronts $200
    -Atoms rear (might take home the cinema series as surrounds just to hear) $189
    -PDR 10 $299
    -CC170 $175

with Denon 1803 $399

seeing the Wiz have the Polk 6600's on sale this morning for $399 made me think about saving money but...

so who wants to push me?

2. Iain

Iain Agent

That's almost the same as what I'm getting (also after months of procrastinating):

Receiver: Marantz SR5300, $530 (out later this month)
    6.1 speaker set-up: Paradigm Focus (mains), CC-170 (center), Atoms (surrounds), and PDR-12 (sub): $1,140

So I say go for it (unless you want to procrastinate further and wait for the new Marantz's like I'm doing).

Cheers, Iain

3. Dan Workman

Dan Workman Extra

I think that sounds pretty good also. If you do decide to go for it, I would interested in your after-purchase review. I am debating as to what system to put together also. I have looked at this speaker combo, but have gotten upgrade-itis before even purchasing. I am looking at Monitor 5's (mains) Mini-Monitors (surrounds) CC370 (center) and SVS 20-39 PCi (sub) along with a Marantz 7200 receiver. That's quite a bit of coin to part with, so I'm trying to decide between getting it piecemeal or going with the setup you're looking at since it's more affordable. Decisions, decisions!!

4. AlanZ

AlanZ Screenwriter

Dan,
    Aside from the Marantz, I have the exact same set-up as you are describing. If you don't mind a bit of a biased viewpoint, you are completely on the right track. I am absolutely THRILLED with this gear. The Monitor 5's are amazing speakers. I'm assuming you are considering either the v.2 or v.3.....the v.1 was clearly inferior to the updated models. I have the v.2 and they are amazing. I paid $355 for an 8-month old pair on Ebay. As for your sub, I can't articulate my excitement any better than has already been done by other satisfied SVS owners. All I can say is this sub is the single most impressive piece of HT gear I've ever owned. I also have a pair of mini-monitors on brackets (btech-usa.com) for the rears, and they made a significant difference when I replaced my Atoms. When you add the cc-370 in the middle, you get quite an engaging HT experience. This group of speakers blend together perfectly. Anyway, it's taken me a few years to finally get an ensemble that I was really and truly happy with, and when I saw you describe the fruits of my labor I had to share with you my views. I hope that if you decide to go with this system that you will post your review, cause I'd love to hear what you think! Good luck!

5. Lou Loomis

6. Dan Workman

Dan Workman Extra

Alan,
    Thanks for the words of encouragement!! And yes, I am looking at the v.3 As many others have done, I have spent countless hours perusing this board, along with a myriad number of websites in search of my perfect setup. I will most certainly post a review when I finally get this thing put together. My hope is that I will be happy enough with the system I get to keep it for quite a few years. Did you get everything at once, or a little at a time?

7. Iver

Iver Second Unit

Another Onion reader!

I'm going to give you this option to think about. Instead of getting those Paradigms, go up slightly to the Focus speakers (I would use them for both front L/R and surround L/R but you could go with Atoms, Micros, or the Cinemas to save on the surrounds) and the CC-270.

These all use the one-inch tweeter which is also used in the new tower speakers in the Performance line such as the Esprit.

These speakers do list for a fair bit more than the speakers with 3/4-inch tweets ($280 for a Focus pair and $270 for CC-270), but the Focus speakers look great (kind of like Mini-Mini Monitors with those aluminumized mid-driver cones and the little plastic bezels that raise the drivers above the level of the front of the speaker cabinet).

8. Lou Loomis

Iver,

Impressed you picked up on that!

But don't get me on another upgrade path! You must have seen the number of times I've already done the pre-purchase upgrade and saw how vulnerable I was to this! I really do need to draw the line though. but just for laughs... can the Focuses work ok with the CC170?

also, I see you're in NYC as I am. who do you look to for Paradigm in the city? Soundcity? Park Ave Audio? I've done mail order with 6ave over in Jersey, but they don't have many of the items in, so I'm going brick and mortar on this.

9. AlanZ

AlanZ Screenwriter

Dan:
    To answer your question, I did it a little at a time, but over a very SHORT period of time [​IMG] I realized that as awesome as my Atoms were, my room was just a little big for them. (To anyone who is considering the Atoms, though, they are SUPERB.) That's when I found the deal on Ebay for the Monitor 5's (v.2) and pulled the trigger. The Atoms are awesome for the money, but the 5's were a huge improvement. From there it was kind of like a chain reaction! I went out and grabbed a cc-370 to take care of the huge gap in the middle (only had a cc-70 with the Atoms). I figured I'd stop there and just move my Atoms to the rear, but they just didn't blend as well as I'd hoped, so I went out and picked up a demo pair of Mini-Monitors (v.2) from my local stereo shop and put them in back. I paid $209 for them, and they really smoothed out the surround field. I really thought I was done after that. Honest. But then I kept reading all these reviews on the SVS subs, so I buttered up the wife, got her 'permission', and had one shipped out to give it a try. Well, as I'm sure you've read countless times, the thing was just INCREDIBLE. So if I can sum things up for you in one sentence, let me try it this way: This is the first time in a long time that I can just sit back, relax, and enjoy my set-up without the constant whispers in the back of my head that I should think about upgrading this or that. If I made more money, that may change, but I know that in order for me to noticeably upgrade my system, I'd have to spend a significant amount of money, and I just don't have it. And in all honesty, I'm glad I don't have it! I love this set-up, and I would bet that if you to this route that you'll love it too [​IMG]