Are you still against colorization of B&W films and TV shows?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Sam Posten, Feb 14, 2017.

1. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    I'm one of the guys who couldn't understand why there was so much glee when TV manufacturers stopped making 3D Tv's. After all, 3D wasn't forced on them, they still had a choice of 2D.

Colorization is different. If there are two different versions of the film, the colorized one will be watched and the black and white ignored by a significant majority of consumers. I don't want colorized versions made available because the black and white versions will just fade away.

I am not advocating for a law outlawing colorization, just saying that "If I Ruled the World", it would not happen.

2. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

If all colorization looked this good, I think it would be difficult for most viewers not to choose it. I would love to see more color conversions like this.

Stan, BobO'Link, DaveF and 1 other person like this.
  3. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Same here. I have no desire to watch colorized films or TV shows, but really do not care if others like it - - as long as the original black and white version is available for my viewing pleasure.

4. Oliver Ravencrest

Oliver Ravencrest Screenwriter

Ron
    As long as the Black and White version is available, I'd be happy. I don't like watching colourized versions, I find it to be a distraction. I'd be too busy looking at the differences, like I do with 3-D movies, than following the story. Also, some shows are better suited for B&W, like the Munsters. Black and White photography can be really beautiful.

BobO'Link likes this.
  5. Kevin Hewell

Kevin Hewell Cinematographer

I want to watch the way it was originally filmed. If not, it depends on the film/TV show. I still can't watch the first two seasons of "Bewitched" if they're colorized.

6. The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man Cinematographer

Robert
    IIRC, as far as The Dick Van Dyke Show goes, there were talks about going color as early as season 3, but it was "artistic choice" to keep it B&W... but only because it would have cost more to produce in color.

As for Lucy... not as much network mandate as it was 1951 and color TV wasn't ready for primetime yet.

That reminds me of the Doctor Who serials that were wiped and all that survived were B&W recordings. Legend colorized one, and the other used a color recovery process that wasn't nearly as good as the colorization job.

Anyway, as to the question... I'll go with the majority. As long as a B&W version exists and is available, let 'em break out the Crayolas all that they want.

Sam Posten likes this.
  7. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    That is an amazing demo! I haven't looked at colorization since I was a kid, I think, and "Turnerized" shows with their comic-book plattes were on tv. And I was opposed to it. Because it damaged the shows.

But this? I'll be honest: I'd rather watch a TV show colorized with that sophistication and realism over a black and white original any day.

Sam Posten likes this.
  8. The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man Cinematographer

Robert
    You never saw the Bewitched DVDs or the annual CBS colorizations of Lucy and Andy and now Dick Van Dyke they air at Christmastime?

The colorization technology doesn't really look horrendous now. Not like the 80s stuff where the mouths were still in B&W and it did look like someone took a box of Crayolas to it.

I think the best I've seen was that Doctor Who serial I mentioned earlier from the Jon Pertwee years.

Oh, and speaking of Turnerized... I remember Gilligan's Island's first season was badly colorized when it was on TBS back in the mid-90s. If that's all anyone remembers of colorization, I understand why they would still hate it.

9. Bob_S.

Bob_S. Supporting Actor

I'm ok with an option to watch either b/w or colorized version. I wasn't that impressed with the DVD colorized eps. But that Addams Family clip-WOW!! Closest I've seen yet in colorization. Honestly, I would probably watch that in color instead of the b/w version but I would still have both versions in my collection.

Sam Posten likes this.
  10. cinemiracle

cinemiracle Supporting Actor

Peter
    I am strongly against colourization of black and white films.THE LONGEST DAY was ruined when they colourised it. There has only been one instance whereby a coloured film was later released without the colour - that was the latest MAD MAX film,I understand.

11. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    Nope.

Yep.

12. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Cinematographer

Howie
    To me, that's exactly what those colorized Bewitched episodes look like. Mouths in BW, color dropping too early in fades to black, swish pans losing most of their color, and more. I've not seen the others you mention but have no desire to see them.

I'm somewhat surprised that Desilu didn't film at least the later seasons of I Love Lucy in color. After all, they were forward thinking enough to protect the product to offer it for syndication. You'd have thought they'd have seen the advent of color TV and filmed in color to make the show more future proof. The producers of The Adventures of Superman did so why didn't Desi and Lucy? Of course the Superman series suffered for that decision as color stock costs more than does BW and corners had to be cut. I'm sure that's also why most early BW shows were shot in BW rather than color as the cost savings per season could be significant by going that route and most producers weren't looking toward life beyond the initial network airings.

Like others have said, if all colorization could look as good as that short demo I'd watch *some* BW product in color. It would really depend on the film/show. I'd watch The Addams Family at least once in color but, like The Munsters, feel it's best viewed in glorious BW. I also welcome any colorized version of a film or TV show if it also includes a restored BW version. I own copies of almost all of the Legend colorized films for that very reason. That way I get to choose what I like best and everyone wins.

Here's the opposite of this argument. I first saw The Exorcist on a BW TV. I thought it was pretty scary. When I later saw it in color it didn't have the same impact that BW viewing had so the next time I watched it I turned the color off. It was much better. To this day I turn the color off when watching that film and feel it's better viewed that way.

13. cinemiracle

cinemiracle Supporting Actor

Peter
    You think wrong. It would be very easy to ignore anything that has to do with colorization. It looks so phony.

14. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Dunno Peter. The 'enthusiasts' in this thread seem to think that was pretty well done and the unwashed masses have already collectively shrugged. I think the diehard antis are dying out and the tech is surpassing the complaints....

Stan likes this.
  15. Stan

Stan Producer

I'm with you, although I still prefer if both color and original B&W versions are available.

But you have to admit, the technology has improved immensely. Though not always sure if the colors are good choices.

I remember discussions about the Dick Van Dyke specials where certain colors were used because they looked better photographically in B&W. Yet if we were to see the actual colors, not so much. But the new "fake" colors are looking pretty good.

16. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Cinematographer

Howie
    That's so true about color choice. For BW films the colors chosen for clothing, sets, everything are more dependent on how they'll appear on the BW palet and have nothing to do with how well they'd look in color. Makeup artists pretty much had to relearn their craft with the advent of color films for that very reason. That means there's little to no correlation in a colorized product with the colors chosen and the original shade of grey other than a "need" to make sure it's reasonably close.

Stan likes this.
  17. Mr. Handley

Mr. Handley Supporting Actor

Paul
    I have a pretty simple policy on this. If it was filmed in B&W, then that's how I prefer to view it now. If it was originally shot in color, then that's how I'll view it.

Steve...O likes this.
  18. 38 Mar 13, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
    TJPC

TJPC Supporting Actor

Terry Carroll
    The colours actually worn during the filming of two strip technicolor filming often were wildly different from what eventually was interpreted by the cameras used and by what showed up on the screen.

Stan likes this.
  19. Stan

Stan Producer

With CGI, colour correction, matte paintings, fake New York/Chicago and other backdrops outside of windows that are obviously just sets, I don't believe much of anything any more.

Even with something as innocent as "The Big Bang Theory". Maybe the set is real, maybe not, but the lighting is very unrealistic, colors are so vibrant and bright, always stood out as "not quite right" for me.

Hollywood magic. :cool:

There are a lot of behind the scenes things available showing the "before and after" when they've been "processed". Look nothing like the original as it was filmed.

Sam Posten likes this.
  20. David Norman

David Norman Producer
    Supporter

I'd prefer to watch B&W in B&W, but I'm not necessarily against alternatives versions IF and ONLY IF they are presented as
    a choice and not as a "we made the decision for you." Some of them can be quite fun (or funny) to watch

Josh Steinberg likes this.