Are you still against colorization of B&W films and TV shows?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Sam Posten, Feb 14, 2017.

1. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    I'm one of the guys who couldn't understand why there was so much glee when TV manufacturers stopped making 3D Tv's. After all, 3D wasn't forced on them, they still had a choice of 2D.

Colorization is different. If there are two different versions of the film, the colorized one will be watched and the black and white ignored by a significant majority of consumers. I don't want colorized versions made available because the black and white versions will just fade away.

I am not advocating for a law outlawing colorization, just saying that "If I Ruled the World", it would not happen.

2. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

If all colorization looked this good, I think it would be difficult for most viewers not to choose it. I would love to see more color conversions like this.

DaveF and Sam Posten like this.
  3. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Same here. I have no desire to watch colorized films or TV shows, but really do not care if others like it - - as long as the original black and white version is available for my viewing pleasure.

4. Oliver Ravencrest

Oliver Ravencrest Screenwriter

Ron
    As long as the Black and White version is available, I'd be happy. I don't like watching colourized versions, I find it to be a distraction. I'd be too busy looking at the differences, like I do with 3-D movies, than following the story. Also, some shows are better suited for B&W, like the Munsters. Black and White photography can be really beautiful.

5. Kevin Hewell

Kevin Hewell Cinematographer

I want to watch the way it was originally filmed. If not, it depends on the film/TV show. I still can't watch the first two seasons of "Bewitched" if they're colorized.

6. The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man Screenwriter

Robert
    IIRC, as far as The Dick Van Dyke Show goes, there were talks about going color as early as season 3, but it was "artistic choice" to keep it B&W... but only because it would have cost more to produce in color.

As for Lucy... not as much network mandate as it was 1951 and color TV wasn't ready for primetime yet.

That reminds me of the Doctor Who serials that were wiped and all that survived were B&W recordings. Legend colorized one, and the other used a color recovery process that wasn't nearly as good as the colorization job.

Anyway, as to the question... I'll go with the majority. As long as a B&W version exists and is available, let 'em break out the Crayolas all that they want.

Sam Posten likes this.
  7. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    That is an amazing demo! I haven't looked at colorization since I was a kid, I think, and "Turnerized" shows with their comic-book plattes were on tv. And I was opposed to it. Because it damaged the shows.

But this? I'll be honest: I'd rather watch a TV show colorized with that sophistication and realism over a black and white original any day.

Sam Posten likes this.
  8. The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man Screenwriter

Robert
    You never saw the Bewitched DVDs or the annual CBS colorizations of Lucy and Andy and now Dick Van Dyke they air at Christmastime?

The colorization technology doesn't really look horrendous now. Not like the 80s stuff where the mouths were still in B&W and it did look like someone took a box of Crayolas to it.

I think the best I've seen was that Doctor Who serial I mentioned earlier from the Jon Pertwee years.

Oh, and speaking of Turnerized... I remember Gilligan's Island's first season was badly colorized when it was on TBS back in the mid-90s. If that's all anyone remembers of colorization, I understand why they would still hate it.

9. Bob_S.

Bob_S. Supporting Actor

I'm ok with an option to watch either b/w or colorized version. I wasn't that impressed with the DVD colorized eps. But that Addams Family clip-WOW!! Closest I've seen yet in colorization. Honestly, I would probably watch that in color instead of the b/w version but I would still have both versions in my collection.

Sam Posten likes this.
  10. cinemiracle

cinemiracle Second Unit

Peter
    I am strongly against colourization of black and white films.THE LONGEST DAY was ruined when they colourised it. There has only been one instance whereby a coloured film was later released without the colour - that was the latest MAD MAX film,I understand.

11. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    Nope.

Yep.