1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Are you ready for Microsoft to remotely scan your Xbox?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Kilroy, Sep 6, 2002.

1. John Kilroy

John Kilroy Stunt Coordinator

You might want to click here if you're a beta tester.
    "Microsoft has backtracked on an earlier pledge not to use its Xbox Live online gaming service to crack down on modified chips which enable the console to run copied game discs and unlicensed software.
    A 14-page user agreement and privacy notice included with the first Xbox Live kits sent to beta testers specifies that Microsoft reserves the right to revoke Xbox Live privileges for anyone with a chipped Xbox and to scan consoles on the network to enforce its rights."
    For the modders that do so for piracy purposes, serves 'em right.

2. BrianB

BrianB Producer

They've hardly backtracked - the previous "pledge" was hardly a huge declaration. They're 'reserving the right' to check for modchips, and I'm completely unsuprised they're choosing to do so.

3. John Kilroy

John Kilroy Stunt Coordinator

I'm not sure what the author's source is for the first paragraph. I can't imagine Microsoft publishing a press release wherein they pledge to not check for modders on their system. I'm sure Xbox live is optimized for the standard factory Xbox, so keeping modders off line will make a better online experience for us all.

My online gaming experience has been limited to a just a little on the Dreamcast. I hear that there is a lot of cheating online. What does that mean? How do people cheat, and will this measure reduce cheating?

4. BrianB

BrianB Producer

5. Dave Falasco

Dave Falasco Screenwriter

I shouldn't even participate in this discussion because I've played very few games online. The only thing I have to contribute is that from what I have read, cheating is more of a problem with PC games. People figure out how to hack the code so that their characters can't be killed, or can see through walls, or have unlimited ammo, etc. I don't think that kind of cheating will be easy to do on a console, especially without a keyboard. The other ways to "cheat" are things like player-killing, where a person will consistently frag his own teammates. It seems especially irksome when someone camps out by the respawn point and just keeps blasting another player as soon as he regenerates. There probably isn't a lot that can be done to prevent that sort of cheating (or quitting a sports game if you are losing), but if stats are kept as far as how many friendly kills a person has or how many times a player has quit in the middle of a game or fight, it may make it easier to identify the dirtbags and avoid them.

I'm sure someone with a lot more experience than I will chime in soon with some real insight.

6. Chris Duran

Chris Duran Stunt Coordinator

I've heard of some problems with cheaters on the PS2 using the Gameshark to cheat while playing SOCOM online. Good thing there is no Gameshark for the XBOX yet.

7. Frederick

Frederick Second Unit

You can use the Gameshark when playing online?!?! What's the point in playing online if you can't die? Isn't the point in playing with other people the challenge it presents over killing `bots all the time?

Freddy C.

8. Romier S

Romier S Producer

9. Ricky Hustle

Ricky Hustle Supporting Actor

I'm glad MS is doing this. Modded systems that allow a user to play pirated games are terrible for the industry, driving the price up games ever upward.

Fuck the pirates, I hope to see none of them on Xbox-live.

10. BrianB

BrianB Producer

11. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

12. Ricky Hustle

13. BrianB

BrianB Producer

14. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

15. Romier S

Romier S Producer

16. Ricky Hustle

17. BrianB

BrianB Producer

[​IMG], Rick.

18. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

You don't even need a mod chip to play copied games for some consoles. There's a way to do this for the PSX that was shown on The Screen Savers (TechTV) a while ago. It's only a matter of time before they find out how to do this with other consoles.

I look at this as no big deal. MS is providing people the X-Boxes for a price, and once a person buys an X-Box, they can do with it whatever they want. If MS doesn't like what they're doing with it, then they can refuse to give them extra services.

So you have to make a choice: mod your X-Box or play games online? If you mod your X-Box, I think you shouldn't be complaining. You don't get online games, but you get to play games from around the world, which gives you something others don't have.

19. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

You can still mod & play online (well, you could if Xbox Live was live [​IMG]). The decent mod chips allow you to turn it off & revert to the original bios & settings, making it just like a stock Xbox.
    I suck at soldering though, so right now I can't mod and I can't play online.
    -Dave

20. Romier S

Romier S Producer