What's new

Are you ready for Derek & The Dominos Layla in Hirez? (1 Viewer)

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
...plus some more classic Eric Clapton. I think all have been announced but firm dates give cause to rejoice!

Universal updated its website and it just shows what a great summer we have to look forward to in the hirez world:

Link Removed

:)

Sathyan

Second Unit
Wow. Thanks. Of the majors, it looks like UMG is keeping SACD alive.

Glancing at my CD collection, I have way more UMG than any other major label. They've got great labels: Verve, DG, Decca/London, Philips.

Those Deccas in "coming soon" (no date) are Mercury Living Presence! Even on CD and LP they're great recordings.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I've never actually listened to Dominos and Clapton's solo records. It's one of those weird gaps in my musical knowledge due to my youth and diversion into more obscure material.

I'll get Dominos 'cause I heard one of their tunes on the radio the other day (not a real famous one like Layla, but it was good) but don't know about the solo albums. Clapton outside of Cream has always been kind of just "meh."

But I'm more excited about Ashkenazy, Allman Brothers, and Oscar Peterson.

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor

I'm also pretty psyched for Steely Dan, Oscar Peterson, John Coltrane and the Marvin Gaye collection. Talk about some quality releases by Universal.

But what happened to The Roots - Phrenology? I though I remember seeing that it was getting the SACD treatment? Maybe they are too busy recording their new album to do a remix (surround, no less) or this fantastic album. Oh well, I guess I will have to make due with the vinyl:D

Robert A. Willis Jr.

Second Unit
Layla. It wasn't the best sounding LP at that time. In fact, it was poorly produced. Love the music, hate the production. If the LP reflects the quality of the masters, there will be a good number of angry folks.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee

On the contrary maybe this will be the definitive recording of album sonically:

1. New mastering.
2. New mastering equipment.
3. Higher sampling rate on SACD.

Could sound awesome. The Steely Dan Gaucho SACD sounds superb!

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member

The irony of it. Many predicted that Universal's support of both formats would be bad for high-res. Yet here they are, releasing more quality titles than the big buys who have a vested interest in one format.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks