Are You Hot?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Sun, Feb 14, 2003.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

During the commercial breaks on Survivor, I'd pop over to peek in on ABC's "Are You Hot" reality-based show, where 3 judges tell these "Hot-wannabes" about all their flaws (physical/verbal).

Have we sunk to a new low? In some respects, it's sort of fun to watch these "pretty" people get their egos deflated on TV.

2. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

"Have we sunk to a new low?"

Yea a long time ago.

I have NO IDEA why anyone would want to watch these new crappy shows on TV - Survivor, Joe Millionaire,Big Brother etc etc - I mean,who cares??

3. Micheal

Micheal Screenwriter

4. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

It sure was the worst "realtiy" show I've seen.

Arrogant, pompus, stuck up men and woman WOW what a show.

Brent

5. MickeS

MickeS Producer

I missed it just becauase there was too much else on TV last night, but it looks like a fun show to me. [​IMG]

6. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    I'm with JonZ. I get enough reality in day-to-day life. TV is supposed to be an escape, not a continuation of the bitching and back-biting.

Stands to reason the only reality show I ever watched was cancelled after one season (Murder in Small Town X). [​IMG] I guess it had too much class (not to mention expecting viewers to think).

7. BrettB

BrettB Producer

I was still at work last night when this came on and was surfing through the 6 or 7 OTA channels to see if there was anything to watch. I turned the TV off and went back to work. Is this "reality" crap ever gonna end?

8. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Okay guys, let's ease off the reality-tv hating (start up a new thread if you're passionate on expressing your displeasure with reality-tv), and either discuss the show or don't.

Now back to the superficiality...

I find it fascinating the size of the egos that show up at these auditions. But the comments by the judges ranged from cruel to funny to disturbing.

9. JasonRH

JasonRH Second Unit

I got a kick out of it. Seeing peoples' egos deflated is always entertaining and there were some legitimately HOT women in bikinis on stage and that's never a bad thing [​IMG]

10. dave_brogli

dave_brogli Screenwriter

i watched the winner be chosen. oh my god how lame!

11. DeeF

DeeF Screenwriter

The surprise is how unentertaining this show is.

Almost anybody can be "hot" given the right clothes, lights, etc. But to see these nice looking people dissected (rather humorlessly, unlike American Idol) isn't sexy, it's too clinical.

12. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

It's probably because there's very little in personality on display.

13. Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh Cinematographer

Yeah I watched the 2nd hour of it. Wow, and I thought the American Idol judges were cruel. There were some pretty good reaction shots during the intial "Hot" "Not" parade when someone that adbsolutely knew they were hot got a loud NOT. Ouch! At least they did say that some of these girls were way too skinny and to "go eat some burgers at macdonald's". Plus on the reverse, how some of the guys were just too big, then the scronny chicken legs. That was funny.

The only one I saw where the show got a little uncomfortable was with the guy and the teeth. I could swear he was about to cry as they had the closeup on his mouth and kept asking him to open wider. That seemed a bit much.

14. Bill Griffith

Bill Griffith Supporting Actor

I've never seen a TV show before where a guy tells another guy "I really like your body".

When Lorenzo pulled out the laser pointer and started pointing at some of the contestants "flawed" or non flawed areas. I found that a little starnge also. Funny but odd.

Where as I picked out the same females the judges picked out, I was way off on which men they would have been selected.

So it would seem an angelic, sultry, "ideal wieght" women is what they pick, and for guys I guess well built, but not hulking, good natured, confident but not egotistically so is picked.

15. Bryce Miner

Bryce Miner Stunt Coordinator

Did anybody vote for the winners on the Abc.com website keyword hot?

16. DeeF

DeeF Screenwriter

I'm a little surprised they let the guys get away with long jams for bathing suits. They couldn't even see their legs. I think they needed to be in speedos.

17. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

18. aldamon

aldamon Second Unit

Seems to me that this kind of show would do better on HBO.

19. DeeF

DeeF Screenwriter

Actually, the only reality shows I've enjoyed have been Victorian House and Frontier House.

Even the Bachelor shows seem unseemly like game shows.