What's new

Are you holding on to your VHS tapes? (1 Viewer)

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Unfortunately, most of my VHS collection is stuff that has yet to be released on DVD---Bogart, Cagney, etc. I have been disposing of VHS as I replace them with DVD, though. My little nephew is the beneficiary of many Disney videos in this manner. :)

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I don't have too many VHS tapes, but I'm keeping all the ones I have. I have a collection of about 1200 CED videodiscs though! :)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I won't get rid of a VHS until I have the DVD.

I'm going to give my high school library my tapes of Citizen Kane, Jurassic Park, Amadeus (LBX), and 2001: A Space Odyssey (LBX) since I have the much better DVDs.

Jeff Pryor

Supporting Actor
I'm slowly replacing my VHS tapes with DVDs, but I can't bring myself to sell or throw away any of the tapes. I was a big VHS widescreen fan in the 90's, and although I have fully embraced DVD for years now, my tapes kinda feel like old vinyl.

Juan C Toro

Stunt Coordinator
What is a VHS tape?
Jeff: Of course I was kidding.... What do you think the "C" in my name stands for? Caustic of course!
:D

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I've only been collecting CEDs for about 10 years, long after they were already dead. There's a guy in Oregon who claims to have every title ever made (which I'm trying to do myself), he runs the CED website at www.cedmagic.com
I'd probably hate the format if it were still being made today, since the skipping is annoying, but I'm compelled to collect it since it's a dead format! (I have 15 DIVX discs too but nothing to play those on!)

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
I didn't even know that 1500 titles were released on CED!

I've still got about 250 VHS tapes, all TV shows or movies not on DVD. I'm slowly making DVDs from them though, so the number keeps dropping. I'll never get rid of some of them. Still got some laserdsics also.

Ricky Hustle

Supporting Actor
I eBay-ed what I could. I promptly threw the rest in the trash. If it's not out on DVD yet, it will be eventually. And I can wait, I'm a patient man.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
After I buy the DVD I usually give away my old VHS copy to friends and relatives.

But I still have hundreds and hundreds of irreplacable documentaries and tv stuff on VHS (since 1980), such as the launch of the Space Shuttle Columbia in 1981, taped on the day, I filled up a 3hour tape of the launch and other reports of the mission, when DVD recording becomes affordable I will transfer everything onto digital disc.

I also have many classic films that are still unavailable on dvd...
So VHS is still important to me.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
I never bought a lot of VHS tapes at all>>
Same here. Most of my stuff is TV Taped. I must have had about 30 or so VHS tapes. Over the past ten years, I started to self edit my tapes by cutting and litterally taping together the peices I've wanted to keep, and throwing miles of tape out in the garbage. Garbage man must have thought I went on a tape killing spree :)...
After narrowing it down to about 15 tapes, I'm converting most of 'em to DVD. Some I'll keep for sentimental reasons, like my first Bought official tape (of a Popeye video), but the rest will probably be thrown out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks