What's new

Are You Happy Now With The Pace and/or Quality of Catalog Releases on Blu-ray? (1 Viewer)

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Originally Posted by GMpasqua

Catalog sales may not be big, but they are consistant. T

Catalog titles will continue to sell well over the life of Blu-ray where as the "Latest New Movie" release dies a quick death after it first appears on Blu-ray.

So many people do not go to the movie theater anymore - for the same price or less, they can buy the film or rent it on net-filx and watch it at home, and most new films will not live on a classics

"Dinner with Schmucks" or "Salt" may be big sellers the 1st or 2nd week they are released, but after that and in the long run, they will not continue to sell the way "Lawrence of Arabia" "Pyscho" "The Ten Commandments" or "The Sound of Music" will. Only the new films destined to become classics "Avatar" "Toy Story 3" will have steady sales

Will anyone remember "Salt" 6 months from now?

how true, hollywood has a cookie cutter mentality any more, and the odd part is that people who were once cutting edge, and indenpendent, Lucas, Coppla, and all the new voices, really where is the next great filmmaker with a film worth watching, where is the next Taxi Driver, hell i would be happy with the next Corman, as for the studios , the smaller ones, Criterion, Kino, are doing great jobs, even some of the smaller ones, MPI, VCI seem to be trying.

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
I heard straight from someone in marketing at Universal that they are purposely not producing many catalog titles on Blu ray anymore because they are not selling. People are more interested in buying day/date titles on Blu ray. I've heard the same thing about Paramount and they go a step further and say they are not releasing any classic titles on Blu ray. Also, because of lack of interest by consumers. Guarantee you that Salt will be a big seller on Blu ray even 6 months after it is released. I'm with you all. I'd rather have some of the older films instead of crap like Last Airbender and A Team. But those are the titles consumers are most willing to buy in a period of time where packaged media is not selling like it used to.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Would there have been Karate Kid on BD without the remake? How about Clash of the Titans?

I feel that Hollywood remakes may be the answer to a definite BD release from studios.
I'm still praying for a remake of Fright Night(1985) for that very reason.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
How come you never hear a company like Criterion whine about not selling 5 million copies of Walkabout or Black Narcissus and how people aren't buying movies by the bucketloads and threaten to shut down? Maybe its because Criterion puts out quality products that true aficionados actually line up to buy. They don't bombard you with endless logos and disclaimers, 17 forced trailers and useless commentaries by spaced-out starlets. Universal is crying that they didn't sell millions of copies of Flash Gordon, well, why didn't they make an effort to "do it right the first time" and give fans a true special edition? The little guys are putting the major studios to shame with elaborate discs. Starcrash, anyone?

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Twas ever thus; big studio puts out sub-standard blu-ray release (define 'sub-standard' how you will - poor transfer, lack of supplementary features, combination of both) it sells badly (by Hollywood studios standards of course) and they point their fingers at the consumer. It's all our fault, we are ungrateful bastards, and so yah, boo they won't play anymore.

We are damned if we buy, damned if we don't.

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
I do not believe people will still be buying "salt" 6 months after it's Blu-ray release. Today the video/cable sales are factored into the films opening and advertising once the DVD/Blu ray is released it's all over. Unless you have a true blockbuster or potential classic what ever the film makes in the first 6 mos is just about the most it's going to make.

Quick, what were the 10 films nominated for best picture last year (without looking) ?

How many of them are still selling large quantities? what was the best picture? (without looking, and did you buy it?)

Bradley-E

Screenwriter

I do not believe people will still be buying "salt" 6 months after it's Blu-ray release. Today the video/cable sales are factored into the films opening and advertising once the DVD/Blu ray is released it's all over. Unless you have a true blockbuster or potential classic what ever the film makes in the first 6 mos is just about the most it's going to make.

Quick, what were the 10 films nominated for best picture last year (without looking) ?

How many of them are still selling large quantities? what was the best picture? (without looking, and did you buy it?)

Hurt Locker (winner), Up, District 9, Inglorious Basterds, Up in the Air, An Education, Blind Side,Avatar, Precious, A Serious Man. I bet other than maybe 3 from the list, they are still outselling most of the catalog titles released in the past 6 months. I own all except Avatar and Precious on Blu ray.

Personally, I wish the older titles were selling briskly. I'm kind of bummed that the studios have slowed down. There are so many Sony, Universal, Paramount, Fox / MGM and I cannot tell you how many Disney and Miramax titles I have wanted. Now who knows with Miramax, hopefully the sale will free up titles.

The studios only really have themselves to blame. Warner for releasing only elaborate expensive sets of Gone WIth the Wind and Wizard of Oz initially instead of offering affordable editions without the crap. They are doing the same for The Goonies. Which is not a classic by any standard. I walked around Best Buy a few weeks ago films like The Waterboy, Planet of the Apes, Michael Clayton are still around 30-35 dollars each! Even 17.99 for films like Red Heat and Basic Instinct is ridiculous. And they expect people to run out an rebuy these? Granted, prices are coming down. But they need to set the prices lower from the start for standard catalog titles and offer choices instead of assuming people will fork out $50.00 for a title just to get some extra junk. As much as I dislike Disney at least they offer alternative buying choices.

Andy_G

Stunt Coordinator
I remember that we used to complain about the pace of DVD catalog releases 8-10 years ago. Oh for the days when studios would release a stack of titles a month!

Brian Borst

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Bradley-E

Hurt Locker (winner), Up, District 9, Inglorious Basterds, Up in the Air, An Education, Blind Side,Avatar, Precious, A Serious Man. I bet other than maybe 3 from the list, they are still outselling most of the catalog titles released in the past 6 months. I own all except Avatar and Precious on Blu ray.

Personally, I wish the older titles were selling briskly. I'm kind of bummed that the studios have slowed down. There are so many Sony, Universal, Paramount, Fox / MGM and I cannot tell you how many Disney and Miramax titles I have wanted. Now who knows with Miramax, hopefully the sale will free up titles.

The studios only really have themselves to blame. Warner for releasing only elaborate expensive sets of Gone WIth the Wind and Wizard of Oz initially instead of offering affordable editions without the crap. They are doing the same for The Goonies. Which is not a classic by any standard. I walked around Best Buy a few weeks ago films like The Waterboy, Planet of the Apes, Michael Clayton are still around 30-35 dollars each! Even 17.99 for films like Red Heat and Basic Instinct is ridiculous. And they expect people to run out an rebuy these? Granted, prices are coming down. But they need to set the prices lower from the start for standard catalog titles and offer choices instead of assuming people will fork out $50.00 for a title just to get some extra junk. As much as I dislike Disney at least they offer alternative buying choices.

If you would search outside of the US (Amazon UK, for instance), you'd find all of the Warner titles you mention in regular editions.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
you are right about Disney, normaly they offer some kind of coupon the first week that knocks $10.00 of if it is a trade up/double dip. MGM really the only stuff they have is catalog titles, and while there has been some issues, they are releasing stuff that is affordable, just wish that the special features were there as well, but there answer is just add the dvd all at a good price. Lionsgate, reasonable price, Criterion and Kino, great transfers but i wait for sales, thank god for B&N criterion sale. Most of what i want is a large mix of catalog with some new stuff.but it takes a lot of work to do this on a reasonable budget.

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
Fox seems to be making some good catalog announcements lately. I wish they would sell the Alien films separately though, I only want the original Ridley Scott version. Oh well, maybe eventually they will sell them by themselves or they will separate them in the UK.

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg

Fox seems to be making some good catalog announcements lately. I wish they would sell the Alien films separately though, I only want the original Ridley Scott version. Oh well, maybe eventually they will sell them by themselves or they will separate them in the UK.

But then most people wouldn't buy the other Alien films

For the few who would buy them (mastering them is expensive) the sales wouldn't cover the costs - so FOX is passing those costs on to the people who only want "Alien" and "Aliens"(and who do not want to wait a year ot so until they are relased seperately)

Yes the cunsumer gets screwed, but the fans of the other films are happy

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg

Well, there you have it. Most here at HTF are film buffs and while Bradley-E did reasonably well - He named "7" of the "10" films, the average shopper probably couldn't even name "7"

Now for a harder question: How many of the Oscar nominated films from 2008 are in the top sales at amazon?

Bradley-E

Screenwriter

Well, there you have it. Most here at HTF are film buffs and while Bradley-E did reasonably well - He named "7" of the "10" films, the average shopper probably couldn't even name "7"

Now for a harder question: How many of the Oscar nominated films from 2008 are in the top sales at amazon?
I named all 10. :)

Bradley-E

Screenwriter

But then most people wouldn't buy the other Alien films

For the few who would buy them (mastering them is expensive) the sales wouldn't cover the costs - so FOX is passing those costs on to the people who only want "Alien" and "Aliens"(and who do not want to wait a year ot so until they are relased seperately)

Yes the cunsumer gets screwed, but the fans of the other films are happy

I am still waiting for The Magnificent Seven to be sold separately, and Silent Movie from the Mel Brooks set. As for the Alien set, I can see where the Fox marketing department would feel most fans would want the set. But a few years ago they sold the Planet of the Apes films separately.

Bradley-E

Screenwriter

I don't know but I'd be willing to bet that many of them are outselling catalog titles released in 2008.

Benjamin Button, The Reader, Milk, Frost Nixon, Slumdog Millionaire. I'd say Button and Slumdog are the only ones of the list that still sell.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member

Benjamin Button, The Reader, Milk, Frost Nixon, Slumdog Millionaire. I'd say Button and Slumdog are the only ones of the list that still sell.

I'm not saying that they're all big sellers but I'd say that most of them still sell better than a catalog title released in 2008.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I am still waiting for The Magnificent Seven to be sold separately,

The Magnificent Seven is already available as a separate Blu-ray disc in France and Germany and soon will be released as a stand-alone disc in the U. K. Details can be found on the respective Amazon European web-sites.

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Robin9

Quote:

The Magnificent Seven is already available as a separate Blu-ray disc in France and Germany and soon will be released as a stand-alone disc in the U. K. Details can be found on the respective Amazon European web-sites.

Thanks. I'll check it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks