1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Are You Getting An Apple Card?

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Ronald Epstein, Jul 23, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein

There you go!!!

And the card comes fast via FedEx Express.

It's a beauty!

2. xx Brian xx

xx Brian xx Stunt Coordinator

Brian
    When the card was first announced you could send Apple your email for "more Info". I thought it looked intriguing but didn't think I would get one, so I sent Apple a secondary email that I use. Earlier this week I got the an email in which they said I was invited but they said my email didn't track back to any Apple accounts so I would need to send in my Apple ID. That's when I saw the video of the card and decided to send Apple my correct info. Thursday I was sent the official invite and I went ahead and applied through Apple Wallet.

I think they are rolling it out slow to avoid having a big bottle neck with getting everything out and jamming up the system.

Brian

DaveF likes this.
  3. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein

Exactly! I like the way they rolled this out. I was afraid it would be impossible to get a card due to the amount of people responding at once. Apple has kept bottlenecking as minimal as possible by rolling out invites slowly.

So happy to see those interested in this forum getting their invites in a reasonably quick manner.

4. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Some people have reported being able to sign up now without an invitation.

I compared mine to my metal Amazon Prime card. They feel very similar weight wise, with the Amazon card being slightly thinner. I don't get all wrapped up in the looks of the cards but the Apple one looks very nice. Impossible to tell it's Titanium not steel tho!

5. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    So uh, we did a drop test between the Apple Card and the Amazon ones. Holy cow the Apple one sounds like a gong when you drop it, definitely unexpectedly cool.

6. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

It's a credit card, not a fashion statement. :rolleyes:

7. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    I don't believe that is true.

8. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

The card will be in a wallet, sight unseen, for virtually the entire time you have it. Why could it possibly matter what material it's made out of, its color, or the sound it makes when dropped on a table?

9. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    I like the amazon card, it's fancy :) it doesn't matter at all but for a middle class pleb, it's nice to feel like I've got a fancy, above-my-station black card. I get the aesthetics.

If we do maximum upgrades this year (two iPhones and an iPad) I'll consider getting the card. But I've yet to buy an iPhone from Apple, since it's always better cheaper to buy from the carrier or a retailer and get their trade-in discounts. Likewise, if my wife needed to upgrade her iMac, which is a little long in the tooth, getting the extra 1% from the apple credit card might make it worthwhile. But this isn't a card I need or would benefit much from.

Sam Posten likes this.
  10. John Dirk

John Dirk Cinematographer
    Supporter

JOHN
    I think physical cards are basically on their way out anyway. My Citi Visa [from Costco] just introduced an electronic version that gets me into Costco [satisfying their ridiculous requirement to prove membership just to enter] and also allows me to pay for my items at the register via a QR code. For the time being anyway, this only works in Costco warehouses but Sams Club [yes, I have both] has Scan & Go which includes everything the Costco app does and adds the ability to actually skip the line and register for most purchases. After paying right from your smartphone you get an E-Receipt and a QR code that is scanned as you exit.

For any other purchases you can already either supply the relevant data manually or use services such as Apple Pay or Google Pay, both of which are card agnostic. Of course not everyone is ready for or amenable to this level of technology today but one day soon I think it will start being forced on us. Why produce all of these physical cards when they're totally unnecessary?

Josh Steinberg likes this.
  11. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I imagine it’ll be similar to the way that if you really, really, really prefer a hard copy of a physical ticket, Ticketmaster will be glad to charge you extra and mail it to you, but that they and most users prefer to distribute them on their paperless app.

John Dirk likes this.
  12. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    With Apple products, it's ALWAYS a fashion statement.

Most of the posts in this thread seem to be excited about it mostly because it's Apple. I'd imagine most were not even considering applying for a new credit card before the "mystique" of the invitation from Apple.

Sam Posten and John Dirk like this.
  13. John Dirk

Supporter

JOHN
    I agree and it scares me.

Cranston37 and Sam Posten like this.
  14. Message #114 of 172 Aug 16, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
    Cranston37

Cranston37 Screenwriter

I'm gonna play devil's advocate on this and say cards aren't going anywhere. Most thought cash was on its way out (and many businesses started to not accept it due to cost) but some states have begun passing laws requiring businesses to take cash because lower income people largely don't have checking accounts. I think that would go double for mobile payments as it would require a lower income person to have both a bank account and a smartphone.

There's also the issue of running out of battery. I was watching a video on the Wall Street Journal a few days ago about how Delaware is doing a test of 200 people for digital drivers licenses and the lady running the test for the state flat out said that if your phone dies and you're asked to show ID, you're screwed.

I'm as techy as they come and I still always have cash on me and don't see that ever changing. It actually saved my butt twice this week.

Malcolm R likes this.
  15. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Yes, I don't believe cards or cash are gone anytime soon. Many baby boomers refuse to use cards, let alone any kind of electronic app, to pay for things. My parents and other relatives in their age group are still all about the cash and paper checks.

Then there are those folks who either cannot afford to maintain a checking account, or just don't want one, and also may not have or want a smart phone with payment apps. I have a smart phone but have no desire to use apps to pay for things. I generally use cash for any purchases less than $10.

16. Cranston37

Cranston37 Screenwriter

I'm 40 and use cash for my day to day purchases, for many reasons. My checking account only has in it what I need to pay a bill electronically.

17. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    But it’s a slow transition. The credit card chip and pin transition was three years ago, and chip readers still aren’t universal and there are retailers still require signatures.
    https://qz.com/717876/the-chip-card-transition-in-the-us-has-been-a-disaster/

We’re, what, a decade behind U.K. and Europe on table-service card readers at restaurants? And doubly so for using Apple Pay at a sit down restaurant.

We’re going to be physical card-less like we’re going to be physical media-less: it’s happening but slower than predicted.

John Dirk likes this.
  18. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Rocket Science Department
    Supporter

Clint
    Back to the invitations, I never received one. I signed up to be notified once the rollout started and after finally installing the iOS 12.4 update last week, I was able to apply from the wallet app the same day Sam posted he applied. I was approved immediately but my physical card didn’t ship until yesterday.

19. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    The future is already here it is just not evenly distributed. William Gibson

John Dirk and DaveF like this.
  20. Message #120 of 172 Aug 17, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
    John Dirk

Supporter

JOHN
    You're probably right. I advocate for the world I want and sometimes forget where we [collectively] stand. :) I would hope financial institutions would at least start offering the option to opt out of physical cards, similar to the way most already allow you to opt out of physical account statements. I'm actually surprised that hasn't already been introduced.

Great quote. Sums things up perfectly!

Sam Posten likes this.