Are You Getting An Apple Card?

DaveF

Real Name
Dave
Dave Ramsey is heavily involved in Real Estate and has been for a long time so he actually should know the relevant facts. If he's telling folks otherwise I would suspect it's intentional and designed to steer them to his preferred lender as they are also a sponsor of his radio show. I met him once and do respect him but, if that's what he's doing, them shame on him.
It’s been a decade since I listened to DR (back around the recession). I think his approach to triaging personal debt is practical for some people.

But I also heard him give factually wrong, and potentially harmful, advice on long-term personal finances. My takeaway was he didn’t know much or understand enough about long term investing or the stock market to give basic financial advice to the middle class beyond paying immediate credit card debts.

It’s been ten years. I don’t recall the specifics. If his advice has been helpful, that’s great. :)

DaveF

Real Name
Dave
My question about the Apple Credit Card (whoa, on topic, crazy! :D )

Who cares?

That is, why so much hubbub? It’s just a credit card. Apple hasn’t innovated here. No one went bananas about Amazons credit card.

New iPhone, new laptop, new Watch: I get it. These are new, industry evolving devices with new features and abilities. Even Apple Pay is a big deal, bringing new tech to the masses.

The credit card: just a credit card. It gives cash back at about 2%. Like every other card. It charges usurious interest rates from 12% to 24% if you don’t pay it off. Like every other card. It’s aligned with one of the banks that worked really hard to nearly destroy the American economy a decade ago. Like most other credit cards.

So...what’s the hubbub about? It’s just another credit card exactly like every other credit card, no?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
It’s been a decade since I listened to DR (back around the recession). I think his approach to triaging personal debt is practical for some people.

But I also heard him give factually wrong, and potentially harmful, advice on long-term personal finances. My takeaway was he didn’t know much or understand enough about long term investing or the stock market to give basic financial advice to the middle class beyond paying immediate credit card debts.

It’s been ten years. I don’t recall the specifics. If his advice has been helpful, that’s great. :)

Dave,

I am going to give you the answer you expect and want to hear...

5c9a8c798e436a77562a24a9-750-411.jpg

Look at it! It's Apple! Cooooooool!

Yup, that's why I want it. I may never, ever use it but since my present point in life is tied to everything "Apple," this is just one more way of expressing my brand loyalty.

Not that it means anything to anyone else. I just wanted it.

And you know what? So will a lot of other loyal Apple customers just for those reasons.

And for further argument...

Unknown.jpeg

What's the difference between the Apple Card and this one? Yankee fans who probably didn't need a credit card got this one just because it expressed their fan loyalty.

Hope this answers your "who cares" question.

Last edited:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
The Yankees one has a much higher limit that helps it buy...

Ah nevermind ;)

Come on. I know you are yanking my chain and pushing my buttons .. and it worked.

I think the similarities are that if someone creates a credit card that defines your passion, chances are pretty good you will get it.

Apple knew damn well people would opt for this card just because...it's Apple.

John Dirk

Cinematographer
Premium
Real Name
JOHN
It's been about as long for me but I actually worked one of his live shows and that's how I met him. I never needed his advice but appreciated his brutally honest approach on the radio as compared to Clark Howard, another nationally syndicated host based here in ATL.

question about the Apple Credit Card (whoa, on topic, crazy! :D )

Who cares?
Touch'e and I couldn't agree more.

Reactions: DaveF

Scott Merryfield

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member
Even Apple Pay is a big deal, bringing new tech to the masses.
As a quick aside, I was amused by an interaction I had recently when paying with my Samsung phone (yes, phones other than Apple do this). Anyway, we were in Iceland (just got back yesterday) and my wife was buying a small knick knack at a museum gift store in a small fishing village. I decided to try paying with my phone just because I was curious if it would work in Iceland. The very nice guy working at the gift shop was fascinated by this process, as he had never seen anyone pay using a phone before. And it worked, just like at home!

Reactions: John Dirk

DaveF

Real Name
Dave
I think the similarities are that if someone creates a credit card that defines your passion, chances are pretty good you will get it.
That’s what I don’t connect to. Credit cards are about the money: get the best deal. I have credit cards that make financial sense for my needs, not that have Star Trek pictures on them. :)

DaveF

Real Name
Dave
As a quick aside, I was amused by an interaction I had recently when paying with my Samsung phone (yes, phones other than Apple do this). Anyway, we were in Iceland (just got back yesterday) and my wife was buying a small knick knack at a museum gift store in a small fishing village. I decided to try paying with my phone just because I was curious if it would work in Iceland. The very nice guy working at the gift shop was fascinated by this process, as he had never seen anyone pay using a phone before. And it worked, just like at home!
I find even now retail clerks are not infrequently impressed and even surprised by seeing Apple Pay used.

Cranston37

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
That’s what I don’t connect to. Credit cards are about the money: get the best deal. I have credit cards that make financial sense for my needs, not that have Star Trek pictures on them. :)
Especially when using Apple Pay as intended. You barely even see the card...

Adam Lenhardt

Director
Senior HTF Member
I think iTunes is the only Apple product I use, since they did away with QuickTime for Windows, so this card definitely isn't for me.

I currently have three cards:
  1. American Express Blue Cash Everyday: 3 percent cashback at grocery stores and supermarkets, 2 percent cashback at gas stations, 1 percent cashback on everything else.
  2. Discover Card: 5 percent cashback, rotating quarterly. This year it was Grocery Stores for January-March and Gas & Ride Sharing Services for April-June. Currently it's Restaurants and PayPal. It will be Amazon.com, Target, and Walmart.com for October-December.
  3. Capital One Quicksilver: 1.5 percent cashback on everything.
I use the Amex for groceries and gas (except when 5 percent is available in the category from Discover), the Discover card for whatever's 5 percent that quarter, and the Quicksilver Visa for everything else.

I don't really need another card in that ecosystem.

Ironically, your credit rating can also get dinged when you payoff/close an account. When I paid off my car loan a couple years ago, my FICO dipped about 25-35 points, then started rising again after a couple months.
When I paid off my car loan in 2017, my FICO score dropped 60 points. It's since rebounded some, but is still 34 points lower than it was with the loan. It was explained to me that there there were two causes;
  1. A couple of my credit cards were newer than the car loan, so when the car loan got paid off, the average age of my sources of credit went down.
  2. The car loan was the only installment credit I had, since my student loans were already paid off and I'm a renter rather than a homeowner. So without the car loan, I was no longer demonstrating that I could manage different types of credit.
My question about the Apple Credit Card (whoa, on topic, crazy! :D )

Who cares?

That is, why so much hubbub? It’s just a credit card. Apple hasn’t innovated here. No one went bananas about Amazons credit card.
A triumph of branding. Lots of people have an emotional investment in Apple, and the design team made the card look cool.

Reactions: Malcolm R

Scott Merryfield

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member
Especially when using Apple Pay as intended. You barely even see the card...
Samsung Pay works at more places than Apple Pay (basically anywhere with a wireless reader), yet there are still more places I use a credit card where it doesn't work - - gas stations, most restaurants, most of the golf courses I play, and even some retail stores. I am still pulling out the actual card a lot more than using my phone.

Cranston37

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Samsung Pay works at more places than Apple Pay (basically anywhere with a wireless reader), yet there are still more places I use a credit card where it doesn't work - - gas stations, most restaurants, most of the golf courses I play, and even some retail stores. I am still pulling out the actual card a lot more than using my phone.
The funny thing is this week I found myself using cash the most, as the few places I went to (small businesses) wouldn't take anything else so they could avoid the fees associated with cards and payment methods like Square...

Last edited: