What's new

are you embarrassed? (1 Viewer)

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
I mean, are you embarrassed that you, a dedicated Home Theater Hobbyist, come to the amazing, informative, far-ranging Home Theater Forum... And you always check the "After Hours" forum (to chat about weird smells, bicycle riding, your state song, sports, romance, lawn care, etc.) before you check the "Film" forum, ostensibly the reason we are all gathered here today?

Or, is it just me?

:D

MC

Michael:M

Supporting Actor
If I'm not embarrassed to actually own Hudson Hawk on DVD, then checking out the AH forum is powerless to shame me. :D

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Embarrased? No. Like many topic-specific forums I find HTF is actually better at its off-topic coverage. I only read the 'display' section if I'm in the market for a new TV (for example), and most of the films talked about were discussed years ago (or are new remakes I don't want to watch).

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
That's what we used to call you all, when I was at Polk. You are the "dedicated Home Theater Hobbyists." It's a professional marketing term, I guess. Figured I'd use some jargon to show off that I'm a big ole marketing professional, you know?

You're strong, man. I will only admit to not hating it, but I wouldn't own it. Kudos to you. :D

It is a great "After Hours" forum, tho, isn't it?

MC

RichardK

Second Unit
Damn, I am so busted. Your topic addresses exactly what I did this morning, and what I have done every HTF visit since about July 2005.
Anyhow, I am not embarrassed, the HTF is still the coolest place to hang out for all things HT related. Since you get to 'know' and have 'known' people so long, you like to check and see what HTF'rs have to say about LIFE :D .

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I'm not embarrassed until I start telling my friends about what happens here. I don't think any of them are members of an online "club" so I assume they think it's a little odd.

MichaelBA

Supporting Actor
You, Micah, "forced" me into HTF! But I can't claim to be consciously abashed, in any event. Maybe because I don't check After Hours until last?

[I think Netflix generally frees you from having to own HUDSON HAWK and such ilk. But then again I own THE ADVENTURES OF FORD FAIRLANE, so....]

mylan

Screenwriter
No, i'm not embarrassed but my wife sometimes wonders why I have to get on here and see what others thought about a particular show we just watched and whose thread I follow.
She's all "why do you have to see what they think? What she doesn't realize is, I am one of the "they's".
That being said, after hours can be a breather from the constant SVS vs. HSU or Denon vs. Yamaha debates. Sheesh, we should all "get a life" sometimes!

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
The slogan here is it's after hours somewhere in the world. :)

Why do you think we all know so much about Silica?

Home Silica Forum...

Can honestly say I first visited this forum when I was looking to buy a DVD player (a Panny A-120U) and kind of never left...

Jay

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I realize the topic is tongue-in-cheek, but in all seriousness, this forum represents more than just HT. It also represents a sort of geekdom of computer/technology geeks :D

Not all of my friends are computer/technology geeks so it's usually hard to find a topic that I can ramble on for any length of time. It just seems like this AHL area is a perfect funnel for odd humor. Where else can I discuss these topics (without weird looks) for any length of time?

I know too many BORING people in the physical world! ;) The virtual world is more suited to my kind of thinking and humor.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
hah. I belong to two other forums, both centered around the Macintosh. Oddly, enough, though, I only glance through the mac related forums before diving into the politics subforums. BTW, one of those subforums is called "Jihad,"and not because Islam, upon rare occassions, enters the discussion. Fun for all, I suppose, but the admins tell me that moderating is a full time job.

MichaelBA

Supporting Actor
Also, for tech-novices, like myself, HTF can be a much appreciated font of knowledge. Nothing embarrassing about that.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell

This recently happened to me when that dieritic poop thread was on here with a link to a site where a guy kept track of his poops with a digital camera (admitedly not a high pitn in the history of the HTF, I think MichaelBa or Micah* actually started the thread ;) .) This amazed me (I'm easilly amazed) so I naturally had to tell all my friends. This inevatably would lead to 2 questions:

1. "What the hell is wrong with you?" Which I no longer have to answer for, my friends state this more in wonderment than any actual line of questioning.

2. "Where in the hell did you find this." This proved to stump me, as when I told them "some guy on the HTF posted it", the following question of "What the hell does taking a shit have to do with Home Theater?" left me, well stumped.:b

* if MichaelBA or Micah DIDN'T actually start the poop thread, well, let's blame them and John Williamson anyway.:D

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
If I had known about the poop thread, I would definitely have brought it to everyone's attention, pronto.

In the meantime, you'll have to settle for this.

You own ADVENTURES OF FORD FAIRLANE? Oh yeah. So do I. Ha.

:D

MC

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Hey, I was on a TV dating show....so nothing, and I mean NOTHING, can be more embarrassing :D

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I always find it a bit awkward when a topic (that was discussed here) comes up in a conversation and I have to say something like "Yeah, I was talking to people online about that" or "a bunch of guys were discussing that online".

As much as internet chatting has become the norm, it's not as normal to bring it up in a real conversation. There still seems to be a bit of nerdiness to it when discussed in person.

Or, I should say, people (who don't chat online) give you that weird look like you're the only who does it.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I always come to AH first and i'm not embarrassed about it in the least, I check out the Software, TV, TV Software area's right afterwards.

Unless armageddon breaks out among the studios, the Film software area remains fairly routine, people asking when certain dvd's are coming, reviews, bitching about insignificant watermarks *cough*King Kong*cough* etc...

Here, though, you never know what'll pop up next and most of all it's fun. I know that Ron has never liked the AH area and it's been considered for the chopping block numerous times, but IMO it's a vital area to promote togetherness among the membership, without it, this forum would become far too steril and clinical.

As a sidenote, no matter how long i've been and will continue to be a member, I still can't help but envision all of us wearing slippers, smoking jackets, sporting a pipe and perhaps occasionally having William Holden pop in whenever I see or hear the term 'After Hours Lounge', they might as well rename this area 'HTF After Dark'. :D

Drinks are on me. ;)

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
No, I'm not embarrassed. Its funny, I don't talk sports anywhere else on the internet, only on HTF. The reason is that the general HTF rules create a good environment for discussion. It seems kind of close nit to have a group of regulars talking football baseball and basketball.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks